INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a Spotify / Mog / or similar service available through JRiver?  (Read 4659 times)

Ardemus

• Recent member

I'm evaluating JRiver for use with my high end audio system.  I currently have Bryston SP2 and Amps with PMC FB1s.  I need to replace the SP2, probably with a NAD 187 or a Bryston BP25 and a stand alone DAC.  JRiver seems pretty slick but I'm having a number of problems.  I'll post them separately:

Does JRiver support Spotify, MOG or another similar service that provides unlimited downloading/streaming of a massive audio library for about $10 a month?
Is there any reason to expect a substantial, audible difference between Spotify and JRiver playing the same audio stream?  I don't see why it would differ.  I wont give much weight to anything that isn't objective and well supported.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Is there a Spotify / Mog / or similar service available through JRiver?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

Take a look at the Performer Store inside MC.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:34:06 pm »

Hmm.  Ok.  What is it?  Can you point me to something that explains it?  It doesn't really explain itself and I don't see anything about it on this site or in a quick Google search.  Are you saying that it's comparable to MOG and Spotify?  Does it cost money?  Can I use it on other devices like my Cell phone?  Etc.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 04:36:02 pm »

Did you click on Performer Store in the tree?

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 04:41:14 pm »

Yeah, it just shows me a bunch of categorized thumbnails and tells me that I have to sign up to play more than 30 seconds of each track.  I could try to figure out what it is, but I'd rather read about it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 04:45:11 pm »

It would be pretty simple for you to try.  It costs about $12/month and you can stream from a very large library of tracks.  Pretty much the same music that is available on other services.  It requires a U.S. address.  There is a 30 day trial.  You can purchase high quality MP3 tracks from MediaNet or from Amazon.

It isn't MOG or Spotify.  It is pretty much unlimited music.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:14:17 pm »

Thanks for pointing it out.  I signed up and I did some digging.  Musicnet does have a competitive music collection (although that doesn't mean that JRiver licensed it).  Unfortunately, the primary feature I'm looking for is music discovery, and the Performer Store doesn't seem to offer that.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 11:52:32 pm »

Just a stab in the dark, but you'd get what you want if it's possible to use Play Doctor with the Performer Store.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:51:17 am »

Musicnet became Medianet about 4 years ago.  We've worked with them for around 8 years.  They license the music from the record labels and we pay them for it.  It's more than 10 million tracks.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »

Can I just jump in here and ask whether it is ever going to be possible to stream Performer Store music to a portable device? Until that happens, PS is really not very competitive with Spotify.

Ardemus

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 10:47:58 pm »

I think that's currently available.  I didn't look too closely, but there are two subscription levels and I think the key feature of the more expensive, $16/month, level is mobile access.

tmarnik

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:39 pm »

You are correct that there are two subscription levels, but the Portable Subscription does not support streaming. It only supports downloading Performer Store music to your portable device...AND...it turns out that not ALL devices are supported. I found out the hard way -- by paying the higher subscription fee for a couple of months --  that my Razr Maxx is not supported.

In any case, for the Portable Subscription to be worth even an extra nickel in subscription fees, it needs to support BOTH downloading AND streaming of Performer Store music on BOTH Android and iOS. It boggles my mind that this not already the case, and I am extremely frustrated that no one at JRiver seems to care, or is willing to explain why this limitation exists.

I have posted multiple times on the Performer Media Center forum - that's what the Performer Store used to be called - and all I hear are chirping crickets, so it's pretty clear that the Performer Store is an afterthought. I think that's a real shame because MC is hands down the best media player and organizer in the market, and the Spotify player STINKS. On the other hand, Spotify makes it super easy to download and stream music to a portable device. Seems like the easiest part of the problem for JRiver to solve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up