INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going to try JRiver for Video  (Read 4741 times)

Datman

• World Citizen
Going to try JRiver for Video
« on: December 18, 2012, 12:29:22 pm »

Trying JRiver and at 1st glance it looks cool. Looks like it will not down sample the analog audio outputs. However looks like I will have some bugs to work out if I’m to use it.

I loaded the Disney Wow disc so I can check out the surround levels and I can not access the menu to get to the tweak section.

What is the best way to output the sound? I have full bandwidth HTPC. I don’t like DSP effects, EQs I can’t use wasapi the video stutters badly. I can use event style. It’s outputting 48khz 24bits 8ch and converting 6 channels to 8 channels .

I’m currently not getting a back ch output with wasapi and I do with direct sound.

I better post this up now , it will be a day of discoveries

Datman

• World Citizen
Re: Going to try JRiver
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 12:44:43 pm »

well on my 55inch plasma the video plays but is not smooth I have the ati 6770 graphics set to 1080p 24hz

my 32inch equipment room LCD monitor set to 720p 60hz is better

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • where the buffalo roam
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:28 pm »

Welcome.  Try setting video to Red October Std.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 01:20:27 pm »

I did that and it plays good until about 5 mins the video get choppy for a few seconds. I does this every 5 min or so.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:15:15 pm »

well on my 55inch plasma the video plays but is not smooth I have the ati 6770 graphics set to 1080p 24hz

my 32inch equipment room LCD monitor set to 720p 60hz is better

Did you set an automatic refresh rate for use with video at 23.976 fps movies (labelled as 23 Hz in most control panels) and 24 fps (24 Hz)?
Are you bitstreaming audio?
Are you using video clock?
Are you using video acceleration?

The 6770 is a powerful card. I would recommend the answers to the above questions, in order:

Set auto refresh rate switching
Don't bitstream
Use Video Clock
Try video acceleration
Switch to ROHQ to use MadVR as a renderer and possibly get fewer dropped frames (go back to standard if not).

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Going to try JRiver for Video
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:35:04 pm »

I use Windows Explorer to browse the the Stream folder in the Disney WOW disc. I set the view settings to Extra Large Icons. Windows then creates a thumbnail of each video clip. You can tell from the thumbnail which files are for the audio test tones. I can check tonight and also give you the file names to make it easier.

I use internal volume control. Once I calibrate with the Disney WOW disc, I go to Tools > Options > Volume and set the volume % that equates to reference level. Now JRiver will show you volume in -dB in relation to reference level.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 03:53:28 pm »

Did you set an automatic refresh rate for use with video at 23.976 fps movies (labelled as 23 Hz in most control panels) and 24 fps (24 Hz)?

I have had my GPU set at 24hz for the HTPC monitor and I just set jrivers to automatic refresh rate and I also installed Directx 11 and it is playing better. spoke to soon when back and look at and it was all choppy

Are you bitstreaming audio?    No
Are you using video clock?  Yes
Are you using video acceleration?   Yes

The 6770 is a powerful card. I would recommend the answers to the above questions, in order:

Set auto refresh rate switching
Don't bitstream
Use Video Clock
Try video acceleration
Switch to ROHQ to use MadVR as a renderer and possibly get fewer dropped frames (go back to standard if not).

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 04:00:16 pm »

You need to set your desktop to 23 Hz for 23.976 material. Yes, I know it sounds wrong. Better yet, actually change the settings in MC for 23.976 and 24 fps. Currently, you may encounter choppiness every 42 or so seconds.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 04:10:56 pm »

in CCC it won't let me switch to 23hz

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 04:15:15 pm »

That's ok... do it in MC in the auto refresh rate change options.

Set it to 1920x1080 32bit and 23.976 or 23 Hz if possible. If these are not an option, it may be that your TV doesn't support that refresh rate, but instead does only 24 Hz and not 23.976.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 05:31:10 pm »

I loaded the Disney Wow disc so I can check out the surround levels and I can not access the menu to get to the tweak section.

I don't see how to access the menus and I don't see how I can watch a 3D movie.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 05:37:48 pm »

One of the first things you should have been told is that MC, nor any DirectShow-based free player, supports BD menu support. This capability requires tens of thousands of dollars to licence. Only PowerDVD, TMT, and WinDVD can do this. For regular movies, MC does a good job of playing the title feature and not the warnings and unskippable trailers that come on the disk first.
A work-around is to label the actual M2TS files once you have determined what they are and use standard or theater views as your reference. Not that great, but it's what we have for now.

I'm not sure about the 3D capabilities.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 05:46:03 pm »

This capability requires tens of thousands of dollars to licence. Only PowerDVD, TMT, and WinDVD can do this.

From what I've read, your estimate is off by a zero digit in most cases.  And not in the "good" way either.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 05:48:02 pm »

From what I've read, your estimate is off by a zero digit in most cases.  And not in the "good" way either.

I meant many more tens of thousands than you assumed. MANY MANY more. :)

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 05:52:45 pm »

ok my mistake. I'm just into day one. This player reminds me of Zoomplayer only better. I never could get Zplayer to work well.

All I plan to do with this software is watch BD movies mostly from HDD I don't even have this computer connected to the internet regularly.

Perhaps I can make it work. Like Zplayer I planned to buy it, so Its not free.

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 11:19:18 am »

Well I got it working and it looks good. :) I install Directx and new 12.11 beta drivers and it plays smooth. Looks like my wife is getting me another Christmas preasent. ;D

The other thing I did in the 24fps 23.96fps display setting I set both to 1920x1080x23x30 I had no idea which one but if it's working I must have chosen well.

Do I have this correct; that this player will not down sample to analogs?

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 11:36:52 am »

another question I have is why the audio input reads 48khz 32bit 6ch and the output 48khz 24bit 6ch using direct sound (not a direct connection)

What's the 32bit about? Why is it not showing 8ch? What is the "not a direct connection about? How would an audiophile set it up and why?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 12:10:47 pm »

What's the 32bit about? Why is it not showing 8ch? What is the "not a direct connection about? How would an audiophile set it up and why?

32-bit is because there's no "real" bitdepth for lossy formats.  More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth#Bitdepth_of_Lossy_Formats

There's an audio setup guide here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Datman

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 01:13:42 pm »

Thanks Matt.  The links helped me figure a few things out. The ASIO may be the best option except I need use of the volume. I'm using direct sound and it may be my best option. It gives me a true back channel somethiung I have not had with PDVD 11. I don't fully understand WASAPI it will not play smoothly but event style will.

I perfer full audio options in 24 bit I'm guessing this setting gives me that.

Are there any special offers for Christmas? ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up