INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mojave: how are you doing on your speakers?  (Read 8425 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Mojave: how are you doing on your speakers?
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:20:04 am »

I can't find the old thread, but somewhere you showed some pics of a set of speakers you were building for yourself. I wanted to keep up on the progress but I've been unable to find it again.

Mind sharing some goodness?  ;D

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Mojave: how are you doing on your speakers?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:41 am »

I thought I checked this subforum about every other day, but I guess it has been five days now. Alright, here you go!

2012 was a fun year for me in regards to audio. I started off the year with a blind subwoofer GTG in Kansas City in January. In February I built a ported subwoofer for a friend (I actually already had the cabinet). In May and June I built a dual opposed subwoofer for my office and an infinite baffle system for my living room. In July I went to Des Moines for a Home Theater Tour. In August I attended a blind speaker GTG in Kansas City. In September and October I built my LS-6 line source speakers. In October I organized and helped host an Omaha Home Theater Tour. In November I hosted a speaker listening session in my house for the new JTR Noesis speakers. Also in November I started using Audiolense/convolution and I rebuilt my HTPC with an i7-3770K Ivy Bridge.

Throughout the year I heard about 12 high output dual subwoofer systems, 2 quad subwoofer systems, 7 single subwoofer systems and of course my own infinite baffle system. I heard 16 different speaker systems and visited 5 dedicated home theaters and 5 multi-use theaters.

I called my infinite baffle system The Badwater Bass'n. For those that don't know, Badwater Basin is the lowest point in North America at 282 ft below sea level. I'm going about 256 Hz below C level! (middle C is at 261 Hz but can vary from 256-280 Hz depending on scale). Since the sub system is composed of two manifolds that are located in the crawl space under the living room they are also below "see" level.

The speakers I built are designed by Danny at GR-Research. I purchased the cabinets at an auction when av123.com when out of business. I then had to install all the drivers, tweeters, port tubes, No Rez lining, Acousta-Stuf, crossovers, and wiring. The crossovers were already completed.

Here are some pictures:

Here they are in my living room. The wood looking beam is actually a 126" retractable Seymour AV acoustically transparent screen. I've since relocated all the gear to the back corner of the room except my two monoblock amplifiers.

Here is my room with the screen down:

I took some more pictures last week that I will try to post soon.

I really like the speakers and would personally place them among some of the best I've heard - even super expensive ones at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

In October I had 29 other guys over to my house as part of the Omaha Home Theater Tour. We listened to music and movies for about an 1 hour 20 minutes before heading to the next house in the tour. After the last stop, I had 8 guys over for prime rib, smoked tri-tip, baby portobello mushrooms sauteed in wine and olive oil, salad buffet, corn bread, bread sticks, and sweet potato fries. After dinner we spent some more time listening to the LS-6's and the new JTR Noesis 212HT speakers.

Those that arrived for the Tour after I had lowered my AT projector screen didn't know until the end that I didn't have a center speaker. They were surprised at how a phantom center could sound so good and the voices could be crystal clear and positioned correctly even for those standing outside the width of the speakers.

I go by Desertdome at AVS. Here are some of the comments from the day:

". . . the best 2 channel sound I've ever heard."

"Deserdome's living room space was truly unique. Something you may only have the opportunity to see and experience once in your life. The LS6 towers were majestic."

"Desertdome's multipurpose room win's for me in the sound quality department. I am an audiogeek and am more interested in perfect sound than perfect picture. Those towers simply blew me away and is exactly the sound I've been looking for. I watch more concerts than movies and can only imagine what some of my favorites would sound like on his system. He unique use of space for his subs is one of the more "out in left field" approaches I've ever experienced and they sound amazing."

"Desertdome's house was a completely different deal, in a great way! The LS-6's were far and away the pinnacle of the day (for me!) I have never heard a more detailed and natural sounding speaker than these. Planar ribbon tweeters were so sweet. Pretty unreal. . . .Phantom center was a non-issue no matter where I was in the living room."

"I haven't heard music like that in a long time and was pleased to see that's how you focused your demo."

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:37:13 am »

Here is a list of my system components:

Mains:  GR-Research LS-6 Speakers
Side and Rear Surrounds:  Bill Fitzmaurice Wedgehorn 6 speakers
Subwoofers:  Dual infinite baffles manifolds with a total of 8 Acoustic Elegance IB15 drivers
Subwoofer amps:  Two Face Audio F1200TS amps with a total of 4400 watts @ 4 ohms
Main amps:  Digital Amp Company Cherry Mono Plus amps
Surround amp:  Face Audio F700K4 (4 x 490 watts @ 8 ohms)
Monitor:  25" ASUS VE258Q
Projector:  Mitsubishi HC4000
Screen:  Seymour AV 126" 16:9 CenterStage XD retractable
HTPC: SilverstoneTek LC14M, MSI  Z77A-GD55, Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge, GTX 550 Ti, Scythe Big Shuriken CPU cooler, 4 SSD drives, Blu-ray reader, Windows 7 64-bit
Keyboard:  Logitech diNovo Edge Bluetooth
HD Tuner:  HDHomeRun
Audio Device:  Steinberg UR824 - 8 channels of balanced audio with asynchronous USB
NAS:  Intel SS4200-E with 4 1GB drives in RAID 5 (3 TB usable)
Backup:  Three 3 TB external drives

Media Player:  JRiver Media Center V18

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:52:52 am »

I have the same sawhorses you have.  That's about a close as I'll ever get to your monster setup.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 11:57:00 am »

Awesome read! Thanks for sharing.

These speakers are truly beautiful.

Shame you're in the States or you could have built me a pair too :D.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:37:41 pm »

A pair of the LS-9's (12 drivers/9 tweeters each) was just built in Denmark. You can read the build thread at the GR-Research forum:  Build LS-9

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 06:23:30 pm »

Mojave,

For some reason many of your photos are missing. Nonetheless you have a mighty fantastic system, and one you should certainly be very proud of. Congratulations!

I just can't understand though how you find the time to do all this audio work including GTGs, work a job, raise a family AND be so helpful to so many of us here. However you do it all you should know that all your help and sharing is very appreciated.

Rod

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:40:23 am »

Mojave,

For some reason many of your photos are missing. Nonetheless you have a mighty fantastic system, and one you should certainly be very proud of. Congratulations!

I relinked the pictures. Maybe audiocircle doesn't like hotlinking. If they disappear again I'll just upload them to JRiver.

MrC

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:39:00 am »

I relinked the pictures. Maybe audiocircle doesn't like hotlinking. If they disappear again I'll just upload them to JRiver.

The links work fine individually, and if I place them in an HTML document, all get pulled fine.  But it appears they aren't being pulled by the forum software here, and I've seen this before with some image links in Interact.  I think it has to do with the links being dynamically generated, and the forum software aborts loading them all.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 12:15:59 pm »

Some webservers deny image link requests from other websites to bring down the load on their servers.

MrC

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:52 pm »

I do not believe it to be a hot-linking issue:

[ images deleted ]

You can Copy and Paste the links below, but it would be better to host these images elsewhere, as then the content can be cached locally (reduce load and load times).  These links are dynamically generated, and are not set to be cached, so they have to be reloaded each and every page view.

I posted these as it was not possible to tell what your original links looked like (since the forum ultimately replaces your bbcode with < img > links.

[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=68843[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=68844[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=68845[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=68846[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=68847[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=68848[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=69023[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=69021[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=69022[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=69025[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=69027[/img]
[IMG]http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=69028[/img]

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:28:33 pm »

MrC, if you quote my first post, you can see that my links are the same. I actually didn't relink all of them like I said earlier, I just repasted the first link and the rest of the pictures showed up again. They are currently showing in my first post, but may disappear again.

Tonight my family is gone so I get to spend some time measuring and creating filters with Audiolense.

MrC

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 01:41:52 pm »

MrC, if you quote my first post, you can see that my links are the same. I actually didn't relink all of them like I said earlier, I just repasted the first link and the rest of the pictures showed up again. They are currently showing in my first post, but may disappear again.

Tonight my family is gone so I get to spend some time measuring and creating filters with Audiolense.

I'll remove the pictures I posted.  Quoting won't help, as the BBCode you may (or may not) have entered gets munged by the forum software into < img > links, so that's what I'll ultimately see.

In any case, it's best to use directly links to image files for much faster page loading for everyone (I use photobucket and imgur for these types of things).
Pages: [1]   Go Up