INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting by filename by default?  (Read 1798 times)

mykillk

• World Citizen
Sorting by filename by default?
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:13:08 am »

When I add a folder to the playing now list, it imports the folder with seemingly random ordering. Is there any way to select the default sorting order?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Sorting by filename by default?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:50:52 am »

Items added to a playlist, including Now Playing are added and given a sequence number.  This defines the playback order.  So it doesn't matter if you re-sort on other criteria - sequence will define playback order.

You can setup your own sort orders in playlists, and save them as presets.  You can also Update the order of the files based upon the given sort (see the Playing Now tab's pulldown).

When you add items from a folder to Playing Now, I believe they are added in the order they are referenced in the physical folder structure itself.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 01:55:11 am »

Ok, I think I see what's going on.

Adding folders seems to work fine, either by the context menu or by dragging the folder into Playing Now. It does add the files within the folder by filename by default.

However, adding a selection of files, either through the context menu or drag & drop to Playing Now, has incorrect behavior. To reproduce:

- Select a set of files
- Drag and drop those into Playing Now by clicking and holding onto the first file in that list.
- OR, right click the first file and use the context menu to add to Playing Now

Result: Proper ordering of the files

Now,

- Drag and drop those same files, except clicking and holding onto any of the other files in the list
- OR, use the context menu

Result: Incorrect ordering based off which filed you selected

I have never once seen an application change its behavior depending on which specific file was clicked on when dragging and dropping a list of files or using a context menu. This has to be a bug!!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 02:36:41 am »

I think this is pretty common practice.

Doing the same thing w/Attachments in Thunderbird reproduces the same results.  So does sending a selection of files to my editor, and Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Snagit, Windows Photo Viewer, Windows Preview context menu, etc.

See also:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6128962/how-do-i-maintain-the-file-order-in-windows-explorer-when-drag-and-dropping-file
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:51:41 am »

I can't believe I never noticed that was the default windows behavior before!!

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:58:26 pm »

The default Windows behavior causes lots of trouble in adding files from Windows Explorer to any media player.

If you have a bunch of flac files, and then you have a .cue file or .m3u file that also lists the flac files, any player will end up playing the files twice, if you use a Windows Explorer folder as the source.

And, most players will play the files in alphabetical order.  Some web sites that sell albums actually make the flac files with single digit track numbers in the filename, probably feeling that "01 - Green Dolphin Street" looks too "techie" for Joe Average, with the result that any tracks after the ninth one end up playing after the first track. :(

So, you really have to Import-and-play rather than Play...

Pages: [1]   Go Up