INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: volume protection is not working as expected  (Read 2263 times)

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
volume protection is not working as expected
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:36:48 am »

from the wiki:
Volume Protection is a feature to prevent unexpectedly loud output. It is useful in cases where you connect Media Center to a high-gain amplifier where unexpected output at full volume could damage equipment or your ears.
Volume protection does the following:
Makes it so that it isn't possible to increase the volume by more than 5% at a time (so accidentally clicking 100% on the slider will not go to 100%)
Makes it so that the volume can not be increased by more than 20% a second
Makes it so that starting playback if nothing has played for 30 minutes sets the volume to 20% (unless the volume is already lower)
the last point "Makes it so that starting playback if nothing has played for 30 minutes sets the volume to 20% " is not how it behaves.

when i play a song longer then 30 minutes without pause or anything, the volume will drop back to 20 % at the end of the song (actualy a few seconds before that).
same happens when a song is paused and the total time of start of the song and the pause is over 30 minutes.
and i saw this happen when playing videoos too.

should the volume protection not check first if indeed nothing is playing, before dropping the volume :)

:)
gab

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re: Re: volume protection is not working as expected
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:58:59 am »

I've had that problem as well. Every once in a while it randomly drops down to 20.

gappie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 11:27:24 am »

I've had that problem as well. Every once in a while it randomly drops down to 20.
for me it is not random. it happens every time. play a song longer then 30 minutes and 6 (i think) seconds for the end the volume drops.

gab

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 12:05:35 pm »

Good find.

Next build:
Fixed: When playing a long track, volume protection could incorrectly engage and set the volume to 20% when switching to the next track.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gappie

Re: volume protection is not working as expected
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »

thank you matt

gab

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:57:29 pm »

I just checked all of my songs and the longest was 28:17. You must be listening to classical music.

gappie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »

I just checked all of my songs and the longest was 28:17. You must be listening to classical music.
no not really, they seem to split that up in lentos, allegretos, adagios and allegros, etc every other few minutes. :) the problem is with jazz and (pothead) rock ;) mostly, and with some world music and avantgarde music, longest 1 hour and 7 mins. some names: the allman brother band (mountain jam), mountain (nantucket sleigh ride), phish, some john zorn stuff, miles, coltrane and fred frith, swan, shakti and even neil young . :)

:P
gab

Trumpetguy

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 01:37:34 am »

no not really, they seem to split that up in lentos, allegretos, adagios and allegros, etc every other few minutes. :)

Did you check out Mahler and the other mega-late-romantic composers?  ;D

gappie

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:31:43 pm »

Good find.

Next build:
Fixed: When playing a long track, volume protection could incorrectly engage and set the volume to 20% when switching to the next track.
it works great now. much better when a long track has been played, and like i just 'tested', a part of a serie longer then 30 minutes is watched.

Did you check out Mahler and the other mega-late-romantic composers?  ;D
:) nah.. i should.. so much music around... great music.
Pages: [1]   Go Up