INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EPG Collector setup for the UK  (Read 17253 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
EPG Collector setup for the UK
« on: January 09, 2013, 04:24:09 pm »

EPG Collector instructions for the UK

Download from epgcollector.sourceforge.net ( I've only used v3.1-I'll check out more recent ones soon)
Note you'll need .net framework installed too

Run EPG Centre. This is the user interface for the command line tool (EPG Collector) that actually gets the data. This is the bit that you need to set up for your configuration.

Go to File -> Create Collection parameters...

This gives some sensible presets. For DVB-S use UK - SkyTV (I've had no luck with the freesat one)

This opens the configuration window.

The first tab (Tuning) should have all the parameters set. No need to change anything here apart from ticking your working DVB-S/T tuners. (I only have one LNB attached to my dual card, so I have to select the right one)

Output. Set the Path for the output file to somewhere sensible (you'll need to remember where because you need to put this into MC later)
Tick the boxes for the two 'create episode tags ...' options

Advanced. Tick the Use freesat Huffman tables...

Channels. Click on start scan. Loads of channels should appear. Mostly junk channels from Sky. What I do is click on 'exclude all' and then untick the excluded box for the channels that I actually want (and can tune).

Click on Save as and make sure that you save it as the default settings (Called EPG Collector.ini).

For DVB-T, under the Tuning tab: Go to DVB Terrestrial, choose your country and area (transmitter). It should then set the right frequency for the EPG. (You can check this since it should be the same frequency as the HD channels listed in MC). Click on Add.

It should then scan both DVB-S and DVB-T into the same xmltv file.

Next, you need to set MC to use this file.

Under Devices: Television: TV Options: Load Program Guide

Set this to XMLTV, Next...

In the Load XMLTV .... Box, put in the location of the xmltv file, Next...

Most of the channels should have auto matched to the xmltv file. You can correct any stragglers here. It is impossible though to differentiate between the xmltv data for DVB S and DVB T in MC though, but it shouldn't really matter. next...

Make sure the 'Automatically load...' box is ticked, Finish.

Last step is to set the Windows scheduler to run EPG Collector automatically at sensible intervals (if you used the default location for the EPG Collector.ini file then you don't need any arguments).

Hopefully that should be it.

SBR

PS if anything is unclear, just ask...
Edit: Changed from MC scheduler to Windows scheduler.

NickF

Re: EPG Collector setup for the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 02:51:46 am »

HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »

I was able to get this to work for me in an Australian context.

There are some aspects of this software that I find counter-intuitive (probably explaining my initial barrier to taking it up). I'll explain over in the Ozzie EPG thread where it's more relevant:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67992.0

Thanks Sandy for the useful setup guide. I hope you don't mind if I steal it to rework in some Oz detail.

;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 03:37:01 pm »

Thanks Sandy for the useful setup guide. I hope you don't mind if I steal it to rework in some Oz detail.

No worries mate!

Steal away. Don't worry about the strikethroughs, just rework it into the simplest wording to make it easy.

SBR

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 07:47:16 am »

I thought it would help to do it that way because there is a user base out here that get satellite. What's done has all the info in one place.

Anyway, I don't reckon I'll hack through it again for a while. Maybe wait until there's a bit more feedback.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up