INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video setup.Red October HQ/LAV Filter question?  (Read 5955 times)

gazjam

• World Citizen
Video setup.Red October HQ/LAV Filter question?
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:30:13 am »

Setting up the above and I would like to set LAV as the video decoder.

I dont have the option to do so though, I only have DTV/DVD and WMVideo.
No option for LAV.

I have a Nvidia 560ti card and high spec PC (3750k, 8GB ram  SSD etc)
MC18 with Win8 x64.
I had assumed LAV came as standard with JRiver, do I need to download and register the decoder seperately?

thanks.

Adhara

• World Citizen
Re: Video setup.Red October HQ/LAV Filter question?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:06:20 am »

Hi,

RedOctober is a MadVR + LaV bundle. You can customize MadVR during playback but as far as I know you can't do this with LaV.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:32 am »

Just use either:
- RO (a private copy of LAV Filters + EVR) or
- RO HQ (a private copy of LAV Filters + madVR and you can tweak the madVR setting if you want)

JRiver CEO Elect

gazjam

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:57 am »

I think I'll try RO HQ on its own for a while, rather than a Custom setting.
See how I get on.

Just wanting the maximum video quality I can get.
High end PC so wanting to make the most of it. :)

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:25:58 am »

There seems to be some to gain on the MadVR scaling configuration, isn't it? I have not read everything on Doom9, but isn't Jinc top of the line now, and the more taps the better? At least the "green bar"/"red bar" ratio seems to increase by choosing other scaling algorithms than the default. It also charges my CPU more.

Jong

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:41:18 pm »

Jinc is definitely better for upscaling luma, but higher taps are not better. Generally view is stick to 3-tap, with anti-ringing. For chroma the jury is more undecided. Chroma is a lot less critical than luma and jinc chroma is very processing intensive. For most GPUs using jinc for both will be hard if you play any interlaced content.

Downscaling (if that matters to you) is different and the MadVR default is best.

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:41:06 pm »

Here below what you can try with ROHQ (found on the MadVR forum).

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:43:57 pm »

Chroma is the easy one. I wouldn't use any other option for chroma scaling other than Mitchell-Net. or Bicbuic 75 regardless of the system's hardware. A member of the doom9 forums exhaustively studied chroma upscaling options and that was his conclusion.

Image upscaling is where you have more options and where it is more subjective. For any of the multi-tap algorithms (lanczos, spline, jinc), the anti-ringing filter is almost a necessity. Which adds even more strain on the GPU. They're great if you have the power to use them. If not, then either softcubic 80, mitchell-net., bicubic 60, bicubic 75 are good options. They all have their trade-offs so it's up to you to select which one you like best.

Jong

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »

Here below what you can try with ROHQ (found on the MadVR forum).

This chart was posed more as a question than as a statement. It is fine for luma but unnecessary, maybe even inadvisable, overkill for chroma. Just stick with bucubic for all but the lowest.

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 05:21:12 pm »

mykillk, Jong,

So your recommandation would be:

Chroma: Mitchell-Net / Bicubic 75
Image Up: Jinc 3taps + AR
Image Down:  Catmull-Rom  + AR + Linear

?

I am impressed by what Jinc 3 taps does from Chroma point of view.
2 days ago, I tested it on Transformers 2 (1080p24).

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 08:15:05 pm »

mykillk, Jong,

So your recommandation would be:

Chroma: Mitchell-Net / Bicubic 75
Image Up: Jinc 3taps + AR
Image Down:  Catmull-Rom  + AR + Linear

?

I am impressed by what Jinc 3 taps does from Chroma point of view.
2 days ago, I tested it on Transformers 2 (1080p24).

That looks good to me. And if you think the Jinc 3 tap looks better for chroma than Mitchaell-Nt. or Bicubic 75 than by all means go for it!  :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 02:29:16 am »

I find the table interesting but it is hard to work out what is right for you HW as some are much more demanding than others.  I use Jinc3+AR for both Chroma and Image upscaling but had to upgrade the GPU to a 600 to handle 60i content as with my older 550Ti it was just not quick enought to do this without dropping frames.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 03:00:29 am »

Chroma is the easy one. I wouldn't use any other option for chroma scaling other than Mitchell-Net. or Bicbuic 75 regardless of the system's hardware. A member of the doom9 forums exhaustively studied chroma upscaling options and that was his conclusion.

This was before Jinc scaling and the Anti-Ringing option were added.
The same member concluded that Jinc3+AR is better even for Chroma, as long as your hardware can do it, of course.

The table posted here was worked out with input from many people on the madVR forum, including said member that did extensive chroma testing, and is concluded to be a good representation of todays state.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Jong

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 03:14:33 am »

I don't disagree but:

- most GPUs in even new HTPC (not gaming) rigs WILL struggle with jinc for both. Maybe in a couple of years it will be different.

- human sensitivity to chroma error is much lower than luma, that is why chroma is at a lower resolution on bluray in the first place (not telling you this of course, nev, but for other readers). So, if you are not sure your GPU can handle both then chroma is the one to step back on.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 03:30:15 am »

I still think the answer is for a RO Calibration routine that tests each each users setup and picks the highest settings that is supported without dropping frames.  I've posted this idea in Matt's thread on the Beta forum.  Without such a calibration each user has to manually try the vast myriad of possible combinations to find what is "best" for their setup.
JRiver CEO Elect

Domi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 07:23:41 am »

For my part I'm using HD4000 GPU of an i73770S and Jinc3 +AR is OK for blu-ray or DVD if video doesn't need to be deinterlaced. But I get dropping frames if the video needs to be deinterlaced (e.g. concert videos).

It's the reason why I keep Jinc3 + AR for luma and Lanczos 4taps (or 8 taps I'm not sure about the result) + AR for chroma. This looks fine for me using a Sanyo PLV Z3000 HD projector. I find the result very close to Jinc3 + AR used for chroma and luma.

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 01:30:07 pm »

For my part I'm using HD4000 GPU of an i73770S and Jinc3 +AR is OK for blu-ray or DVD if video doesn't need to be deinterlaced. But I get dropping frames if the video needs to be deinterlaced (e.g. concert videos).

It's the reason why I keep Jinc3 + AR for luma and Lanczos 4taps (or 8 taps I'm not sure about the result) + AR for chroma. This looks fine for me using a Sanyo PLV Z3000 HD projector. I find the result very close to Jinc3 + AR used for chroma and luma.

same for me.
i7 3770T + HD4000 is able to run the highest setup in the above chart.
As I have a Lumagen Radiance at the output, I can add a little more DNR + Sharpen and this gets video incredible, really.
Pages: [1]   Go Up