INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best tactics for media in separate rooms?  (Read 1132 times)

yannis

• World Citizen
Best tactics for media in separate rooms?
« on: January 13, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »

Hi all. Sorry if similar questions have been asked before. As a new MC user I've started to reorganize my media. So far:

In Room A, "office", PC#1 contains all my music files, imported in MC18.
In Room B, "den", there is PC#2, my CDs and my films on DVDs and external disks. No films are imported in MC yet.

PC#2 is Win7-32 on an older Q6600, 4GB RAM, ATI 2600 and 850GB in 3 IDE disks.
PC#2 is connected to my Amp and TV; a projector is to be added sometime.
PCs 1&2 are networked via UTP cable.

I'd like to be able to:
  -  Play my music in Rooms A&B
  -  Play my films in Room B.
  -  Browse the Web, YouTube etc in Room B, from P #2, through MC, on TV. (No Hulu, Netflix etc is available here in Greece at the moment, so...)

I understand that I can use a client on PC#2 to play my music. But how do you propose that I import my films?
  -  Can I import content through the client in the main library in PC#1? And will then the local files have to go twice through the network to be played?
  -  Should I create a separate, local (video) library in PC#2 and load it when necessary? Can the client support alternating between a local and a network library?
  -  Should I move the ext. disks in Room A, import them in the main library and keep them there?

Any other ideas? What is the best possible solution for MC?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best tactics for media in separate rooms?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 06:00:32 pm »

My suggestion would be:

Pick one machine as the 'server' and one machine as the 'client'.  The 'server' should be a machine you actually sit in front of with a keyboard and mouse (either physically or virtually) - in your case probably A/1 would be the best choice for 'server'.

Make sure that all media on both machines is in a folder shared over the network.

On machine A/1, change the directory locations of all of your content to be the UNC paths of the shared folders and add all of the additional content.  For existing stuff, use the rename feature and make sure to set the option to update database and not actually move/copy the files.

On machine B/2, install MC and use the client feature to access all of the content in the main library on machine A.

yannis

• World Citizen
Re: Best tactics for media in separate rooms?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:26 am »

So it's curtain no 3, as I expected; though it's a drag to have to go to another room to switch on/off the ext disks.

Could you offer your insight re the other two questions/options?
Pages: [1]   Go Up