INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Complete Season field  (Read 2596 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Request: Complete Season field
« on: February 09, 2013, 12:04:48 pm »

I've been struggling with missing episodes for ages. Normally I would check that episode 1-XX is there, but in some cases things are automated, and you risk jumping right past one or more episodes you have not downloaded, ripped or seen. I've been doing this 4-5 times the last two months, and it's very annoying having to go back, and getting a lot of spoilers while you watch it. Yes, you CAN use captions for this, skimming through the episodes and check if something is missing. But when you do like me and remove everything that's fully watched, you can't really check this. You just have to presume that you have seen all previous episodes.

So, that's why I ask you to add a "Complete Season" field. Pretty please :) Just like the Complete Album, but for Series.
This would enable us to add this field to the info pane, with a big red NO if the season is not complete.

Such a field would have to check the whole season, and not just the episodes in a view. It would have to count from the lowest number 0 or 1 to the last episode. And return a No if there's missing something between. Can you please consider adding this? It should probably be a very quick addition, that can save us much trouble. I'm sure that such things could be done with global or similar expression techniques as well, but I do believe there's more than me that would like this.

Thanks for considering!
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

MrHaugen

Re: Request: Complete Season field
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:54:30 am »

A gentle nudge for this request. The need for this is increasing for me. I'll have to look at another solution until this gets a fix.

MrC, perhaps you have some ideas as how this could be solved today?
I'm thinking of global variables. But I have no idea if or how this could be done the way I would like. I know that it's troublesome (perhaps impossible?) to use expression to count number of files and then compare it to something. A rule that counts all items within the same TV Show and Season, starting from 0 or 1, and to the last episodes would be good. If there are missing one or more episode in between, a different output would be set.

Possible? Yes, no? I hope so. This is driving me mad.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:25:57 pm »

A Nice option / solution  , Ive seen before (maybe pluggin) with some other media software...was:

when scraping a Tv-show, download the complete list of all episodes in the Series (including the future episodes). This way you can display your list of episodes, with future and missing episodes "Greyed out"....

This method of displaying a Series was sweet..  very clean, clear and complete.

-Justin

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 12:30:06 pm »

Sure, let's see if we can find a solution.

What are the relevant, defining tags and values that are to be used for distinguishing a complete season?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:43:01 pm »

To distinguish each season, you'll need to count in the tags "Series" and "Season". They all have to match. This is needed because I often hide watched episodes. The episodes should start from 1 end end on number X. Starting on 1 OR 0 (for specials and pilots) would be the best, but it's not so usual. And all the episodes between have to exist, or else output something noticeable.

Example of positive output
Series - Season - Episode
Lost - 1 - 1
Lost - 1 - 2
Lost - 1 - 3
Lost - 1 - 4

Example of negative output
Series - Season - Episode
Lost - 1 - 1
Lost - 1 - 2
Lost - 1 - 3
Lost - 1 - 5

A Nice option / solution  , Ive seen before (maybe pluggin) with some other media software...was:

when scraping a Tv-show, download the complete list of all episodes in the Series (including the future episodes). This way you can display your list of episodes, with future and missing episodes "Greyed out"....

This method of displaying a Series was sweet..  very clean, clear and complete.
I agree. This would be very nice. And I know Rick.ca would agree :) It's been discussed in the past, a number of times.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:50:54 pm »

See if this works for you.  In the view's Set rules for file display, using Import/Export, add:

[=save(,v_compseason[series]_[season])1]=1 [=save(load(v_compseason[series]_[season]); [episode], v_compseason[series]_[season])1]=1

and in an expression column, add:

regex(1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;, ^removecharacters(listsort(load(v_compseason[series]_[season])), 0;, 1))

This expression should output 0 if the sequence of episodes for a Series/Season does not range from 0 or 1 to N.  You could assign the expression to an expression field named Complete Season, and it will be valid so long as the above file display rule has been configured.  Note that the above assumes a max of 20 episodes.  Add to the string above to support higher episode numbers.

If you save the file display rule on the root Video folder view, it will affect all children, so you don't have to configure this per-view.  You'd have to do the same for Theater View, Gizmo and DLNA views.

MrHaugen

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 03:01:10 am »

Thanks a lot! This looks good. I'll check it out later.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 01:35:41 pm »

This worked very well. Thanks again MrC!

I've added the Library field called Complete Season with this expression:
regex(1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23;24;25;26;27;28;29;30;31;32;33;34;35;36;37;38;39;40, ^removecharacters(listsort(load(v_compseason[series]_[season])), 0, 1))

In the File info pane settings for TV Shows, I added an expression field Complete Season as a Text Only Field and added the following expression:
if(isequal([Complete Season],1,1),Complete Season,SEASON NOT COMPLETE!)

This gives me a clear warning when I'm selecting an episode from a season where there are missing episodes. Only thing I would like is to color code this Info pane text if there is missing episodes. I'm not sure what the limitations are here, but I could not simply add some <font> code to an expression field in the File Info Template.. I tried to add I the following code to a field, and linking that to the file info template, but that was no success :(
if(isequal([Complete Season],1,1),Complete Season,<font color="C3FFB3">SEASON NOT COMPLETE!<//font>)

MrC

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:03:49 pm »

I think you lost a couple of semicolon's on your expression.  They are required to maintain a consistent pattern in the string being evaluated against the RE:

regex(1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23;24;25;26;27;28;29;30;31;32;33;34;35;36;37;38;39;40;, ^removecharacters(listsort(load(v_compseason[series]_[season])), 0;, 1))

Once changed, your If() statement works, as does this:

if(Compare([Complete Season],=,1),Complete Season,<font color="C3FFB3">SEASON NOT COMPLETE!<//font>)

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 06:14:32 pm »

Hmmm. I've added the semi colons, and I've added your suggestion directly to the file info template with an expression field. Formatting does not work. It still shows all the font characters. The same happens if I paste the expression in a library field. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll have to look at it more after the weekend.

MrC

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:21 pm »

See the screenshots for my settings.

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:23:44 am »

finally got some time to test this. I do not get where I'm going wrong.... I'll post the expressions I'm using, and perhaps some of you can spot where I've messed up. I'm also adding a screen shot as an attachment, so you see where I've done the editing.

Expression for Complete Season field:
regex(1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23;24;25;26;27;28;29;30;31;32;33;34;35;36;37;38;39;40;, ^removecharacters(listsort(load(v_compseason[series]_[season])), 0;, 1))

Rules for file Display for Not Watched Test series view:
[=save(,v_compseason[series]_[season])1]=1
[=save(load(v_compseason[series]_[season]); [episode], v_compseason[series]_[season])1]=1

Rules for the Test1 field (under description in the TV Show template):
if(isequal([Complete Season],1,1),Complete Season,SEASON NOT COMPLETE!)

Rules for the Test2 field (under the Test1 field in the TV show template):
if(Compare([Complete Season],=,1),Complete Season,<font color="ff0000">SEASON NOT COMPLETE!<//font>)

Expanded Caption field contains:
if(Compare([Complete Season],=1),Complete Season,<font color="ff0000">SEASON NOT COMPLETE!<//font>)

As you can see in the Theater view example, the second line caption contains an error. The Test 1 field (in the file info panel) shows the correct outcome without text formating. But the Test 2 field has the error again when I try to add the font color code. I'm scratching my head here. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. No matter what I try, it fails to out put the actual font formating.

MrC

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 11:15:55 am »

Closing paren on "Rules for the Test2 field" is missing.

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 02:35:52 pm »

Probably missed that when selecting the expression when copying it. Added the closing ), and it still says Expression Error (Unknown) :(
If this is proving to much of a problem, I'll probably suffice adding the text only. It's just that it's so much more noticeable with another color.

MrC

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 10:55:20 pm »

You're missing a comma.

Expanded Caption field contains:
if(Compare([Complete Season],=1),Complete Season,<font color="ff0000">SEASON NOT COMPLETE!<//font>)

When you get syntax errors, simplify them in a column in standard view until you can spot the error.

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 12:50:30 pm »

I finally got the time to fix the code. Not exactly sure what it was, but there was more than the comma I think. Here it is for those that want to do something similar.
The thing that tricked me for a long time was that I tried to add a custom font in the file info pane. That does not seem to be permitted. I had to do that in the file caption.

Info panel code:
Code: [Select]
if(isequal([Complete Season],1,1),Complete Season,Season Not complete!)
Expanded caption code:
If([AllSameSeries],<font color="C3FFB3">Delimit(Watched(2), , / )<//font> <font alpha="50">Delimit(TVInfo(SeasonEpisode))<//font>[Name],<font color="C3FFB3">Delimit(Watched(2), , / )<//font> TVInfo(NameDisplay)) <font alpha="50">TVInfo(DateNoTime)</font>
if(isequal([Complete Season],1,1),<font alpha="50"> Complete Season<//font>,<font color="ff0000"> Season Not Complete!<//font>)

Properties of "Set rules for file display..." options for the wanted views
[=save(,v_compseason[series]_[season])1]=1
[=save(load(v_compseason[series]_[season]); [episode], v_compseason[series]_[season])1]=1

"Complete Season" Expression

Thanks again for helping me out MrC!

I'm left with one question. I thought that there was something buggy with the code for a while, until I realized that it just did not work in the way I expected it to.
You see, I'm used to creating views that hides the stuff I've watched before. So, this results is that almost every view I use on a daily basis has a caption that says the season is not complete. Even though I know it is. Because the code compares the items in the view, to ALL the files in the season. Not just those in that exact view.

Are there any solutions to this problem? If not, I'm afraid that this whole attempt have been unsuccessful for me :( I'm way to used of filtering out watched items. That's really
the whole reason why I wanted this code, because it was hard to know if you're missing anything when it's hidden.

MrC

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:11 pm »

If items are filtered out of the view, then the calculations of course will not be correct.  The rules will run against all the files in the view.

Probably the only way to accomplish this would be to setup a view that shows all the files and performs the calculation, and then only use the result of the calculation in your desired views.  This would mean you'd have to go to the "calculation view" and then go the your desired view.

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 02:19:34 am »

Ok. So you're saying that I'd have to have a calculation view that I'd have to enter a few times in a week to make sure the values are up to date, before I enter my regular views? This seems like a sub optimal solution. I'm not sure if I would bother entering this view that much? And in the case I forget to do it and one episode are skipped and another one are downloaded, I manage to jump straight past one.

It think I'd rather keep on lobbying for a Complete Season field :)

JRiver, can you please consider adding this? As you see, it's very much trouble for some people to make sure their seasons are complete. I think this is a very small and fast-to-implement suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up