INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request, update library by refresh....  (Read 2708 times)

bobkatz

• World Citizen
Feature request, update library by refresh....
« on: February 13, 2013, 03:44:46 pm »

I have a Slim Devices Transporter which is kind of like a miniature version of JRiver. VERY MINIATURE. But it has one feature that is cool. I am adding files to folders every day for audition. If I am already in (viewing) a folder in the Transporter, the new items will not appear. But if I exit the folder and then re-enter, it automatically refreshes the view and shows all the new files. Simple, eh?

I tried using the refresh icon in JRiver but it does not refresh the folder view. The only way I know how to do it is the awkward way, go to library import and import a single folder. I wonder if JRiver can work the same way as the Transporter. Or even better, let the refresh icon find any new files that have been added to the folder you are currently viewing, and by extension, add them to the library.

How's that?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Feature request, update library by refresh....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:49:10 pm »

Go to File > Library > Import and configure Auto-Import. JRiver will watch your folders and will automatically import with no refresh necessary.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:36:41 pm »

Go to File > Library > Import and configure Auto-Import. JRiver will watch your folders and will automatically import with no refresh necessary.

Mojave, the problem is I add things regularly to many different folders and I don't want to wait for JRiver to have to watch a gigantic folder tree, it's too inefficient.

Let me be more specific. With my folder tree, JRiver will not be able to know which folder in the tree has been changed unless it does a scan of the entire tree, and when I add an item to a folder I need JRiver to see it immediately. Can't a simple refresh command allow JRiver to see the new items which have been added to any one folder I'm looking at? If the Transporter can do it, so can JRiver  :-). And yes, the Transporter refreshes the entire tree on a revolving schedule, and yes, it can be manually told to refresh it, but a refresh takes 5 to 10 minutes and that's not human-wait time well spent.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:44:46 pm »

Let me be more specific. With my folder tree, JRiver will not be able to know which folder in the tree has been changed unless it does a scan of the entire tree...

This assumption is not correct.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:56:05 pm »

This assumption is not correct.

You're right, I made an assumption! I'll test and check the responsiveness of JRiver to changes I make in a folder "deep inside the tree" and get back to you all.

Best wishes,

Bob

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 04:18:03 pm »

You're right, I made an assumption! I'll test and check the responsiveness of JRiver to changes I make in a folder "deep inside the tree" and get back to you all.

Technically, the way MC's Auto-Import system works is using the Filesystem Events exposed by Windows.  This means that, in normal operation, it does not need to rescan a full directory tree to pick up changes.

It is notified by Windows the instant one of its "watched folders" changes in any way, and it can act on only the changes.  It does "full scans" generally only when:

1. It first launches (in order to reconcile changes that occurred while it was shut down and "not listening").
2. When manually commanded to do so via Tools > Import > Run Auto-Import Now

There are some (intentional) delays built into the processing in order to allow the filesystem to fully commit changes before MC acts on them.  And, actually because the filesystem change events come in before files are even fully written (while a big file is copying from one volume to another, for example), it has to check repeatedly and then sleep.

But it does not generally just "rescan" the "watched paths" on a recurring schedule.  It is way smarter than that.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

bobkatz

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 06:57:40 pm »

Glynor, I am very impressed! I've never seen anything as responsive to file system changes as JRiver Media Center. It immediately responded to my addition of a folder and a wav file deep inside of a folder tree on an SMB-mounted volume of my Thecus NAS. That's impressive!
Pages: [1]   Go Up