INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How often does auto import run?  (Read 2929 times)

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
How often does auto import run?
« on: February 18, 2013, 07:53:30 am »

Just a quick question, I am wondering how often does auto import run. Sometimes I can put a new file into the auto import folder, but after few hours, it still doesn't show up. I had to run auto import manually before it shows up.

I am wondering is there a way to set it so that it runs every 5 minutes in the background? I did a schedule task but after it runs, it pops up the window that says import has finish running which is not exactly the best when I am in theater view.

Is there a way to get around that or is possible to actually have this as a setting? Like run Auto Import every 5/10/15/30/45/60 minutes.
Don't Panic!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How often does auto import run?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:09:40 am »

It doesn't work like that.

It monitors the folders specified for file system events (from Windows) and then takes action on just the files changed.  It only does "full scans" when you first start MC up (delayed by a few seconds after launch) and when you manually "force" it by going to Tools > Import > Run Auto-Import Now
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 12:56:03 pm »

Sometimes I can put a new file into the auto import folder, but after few hours, it still doesn't show up.

This shouldn't happen, and I don't see the same on my systems.

As long as your storage medium isn't "weird" (some broken NAS boxes don't properly implement filesystem events), the files should be picked up within moments of their creation.

Now, these changes don't always propagate to any connected clients as fast.  I'm not sure what, exactly, triggers the client Library update.  I haven't seen it take hours, but I tend to close/reopen my clients a lot (which forces a refresh).  You can also force a Library client to update under the File > Library menu somewhere (I'm not right in front of a client right now) as well, if that's your problem.

As far as the Auto-Import on the main copy of MC itself, it should pick up any new files (of "watched" types, of course) within a few moments of their creation.  If the file remains in-use by another process (still recording, or maybe still being copied into the location), MC will continue trying to access the file for a long while before it gives up and marks it as "bad".  If you are seeing something else, a more thorough description of your setup and configuration may help to diagnose the issue.

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:10:14 pm »

Thanks for this, I've always wondered how/when auto import worked.
OBTW, I have Synology NAS for media storage, several MC installs pointing to the same NAS, Auto import does now and always has worked fine with this setup.

It doesn't work like that.

It monitors the folders specified for file system events (from Windows) and then takes action on just the files changed.  It only does "full scans" when you first start MC up (delayed by a few seconds after launch) and when you manually "force" it by going to Tools > Import > Run Auto-Import Now
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 01:15:58 pm »

OBTW, I have Synology NAS for media storage, several MC installs pointing to the same NAS, Auto import does now and always has worked fine with this setup.

Right.  Not all NAS boxes are broken!  I also use MC to monitor regular Windows shares on my network, and shares on a corporate LAN (some are regular Windows shares from Virtual Machines on our VM "cloud" and others are CIFS shares) and they all work fine.

But some craptastic ones are.  You can look for a firmware update, if this is the case.  Or, check through any options on the NAS for stuff related to "extra filesystem options" or whatever.  It may be available, but disabled by default (if so, it is probably that an underpowered CPU limits performance with this kind of thing enabled, so they turn it off by default to get better benchmark scores in reviews).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 01:26:48 pm »

Just FYI:  Monitoring filesystem events is a much more efficient means of accomplishing this goal than doing "full sweeps" on a recurring basis.  It is the same mechanism that Dropbox uses to do its magic, for example (as does Goodsync if you set the sync up in that mode).

This allows MC to respond to just changes, rather than doing disk-intensive scans to check each and every possible subfolder for new content.  It also improves latency (as you don't have to wait for the recurring "schedule" to arrive, and then wait for the scan to complete).  Because of the variety of "depths" of possible folder structures (and complexity within each folder), and sheer sizes of many user's MC Libraries, it wouldn't be practical for MC to schedule a recurring scan.  The timing of the scan would have to depend on the complexity of your Library and storage structure.  Full disk scans can also be intensive, and you might not want it to happen right while you're watching a movie (especially if you enable the automatic thumbnailing and audio analysis).

Using the events-based approach is better in essentially every conceivable way.  Except, that some NAS vendors don't fully implement SMB sharing (or do weird things under the covers where the implementation is broken), and they don't work.  But, the same would apply to using these modes with many other similar software applications, so I think that's on those NAS vendors...

If you are using local disks, or those shared by another regular Windows box, and you're seeing this behavior, then something is broken.  Did you follow any "services tweak guides" for Windows or anything like that?

rec head

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 06:54:49 pm »

I have the same problem as the OP. I rip a CD or BD and if I'm going to listen or watch the same day I usually need to manually run an import. My media is all stored on the MC machine. I even use MC to rip the CD's. The music and video are saved on different drives and both are in the list of what to monitor.

justsomeguy

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:28:59 pm »

I have seen this happen every once and a while myself for a long time now, at least since MC17. It has never really bothered me or happened often enough to post about it. When it happens I have to manually run an auto import.

My media files are stored on the same windows 7 box that MC is installed on. I usually move media to this drive over a mapped network share. Not sure if that can be related but most of my media is moved to this drive the same way and most of the time it is picked up fine by MC.

bivan

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 02:52:22 am »

Thanks for this, I've always wondered how/when auto import worked.

Hello,
I also have a Synology NAS, but unfortunately for me, the creation of new files does not always trigger a library update, so I have to mannually perform this operation. (this was easier when using media browser- I just had to press the REC button).
Could you please be so kind and post your DSM settings regarding Windows File Service? It may be related to one of those.

Thanks,

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 07:25:16 am »

I'm using a 11511+ NAS with DSM 3.2 (I should upgrade to newer version, but, it works so well as is, I hate to mess with it)

Windows File Service is selected, and nothing else.  (NFS, MAC, Domain are all default)

I don't use mapped drives, so JRiver points to the NAS via direct address ( can never remember what this is called! )

In my case, for example when downloading new music, I'll simply do a file copy to the NAS.
Then when I launch JRiver on any of several PCs, each finds the new media within a minute or less.

Now that I have a better sense of how MC manages audio-import, it occurred to me that MC is always adding new media via the "full scan" means.

I'll do a test to verify the "just changes" of media import also works.

Hello,
I also have a Synology NAS, but unfortunately for me, the creation of new files does not always trigger a library update, so I have to mannually perform this operation. (this was easier when using media browser- I just had to press the REC button).
Could you please be so kind and post your DSM settings regarding Windows File Service? It may be related to one of those.

Thanks,

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:03:42 am »

Synology had a firmware problem recently.  You might check for an update.

bivan

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 04:31:28 am »

Synology had a firmware problem recently.  You might check for an update.

Thank you for your suggestion. I currently have this firmware: DSM 4.1-2647. According to Synology support site I am 2 firmwares behind (DSM 4.1-2668 is the latest). It has indeed some interesting fixes regarding Windows File Service:

Fixed an issue where you may not see the files via Windows File Service (CIFS protocol) after you rename them.
Fixed an issue where you may not be able to delete files via Windows File Service.
Fixed an issue where the DiskStation may not enter safe mode when a power outage occurs.
Improved overall reliability of Windows File Service.

Will do the update soon.

@rayooo: thanks for your feedback. My windows file service settings are the same as yours (I think they are defaults). The only difference is I use mapped drives instead of UNC paths for my network locations (it was easier to configure). Back when using media browser, it was recommended that UNC paths to be used for network shares but now I am not sure what would be the correct approach. (maybe devs could answer this)

I copied some new files to the NAS last night to one of the monitored locations of MC. They were not picked up immediately, but some 20 min. later I re-checked and they were successfully imported. Maybe I am not patient enough. :) I will do some thorough testing when I have the time and report back.

Thanks again for your answers.

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:56:26 am »

I couldn't break it yesterday, looks like whether the full scan, or just changes, new media is identified in a few minutes.

I did update my back 1511+ to DSM 4.1 yesterday, easy update and not problems... Network Sync still works between 4.1 and 3.2 based DSM.
..I figure It's long over due for me to get to current DSM version, I'll report back if anything breaks in the process!   :'(

OBTW, back when I started this, using Mapped Network drive(s) was never quite 100% reliable.
sometimes the mapped drive would not re-connect at boot, and a few other random issues.
Once going to UNC path (THAT'S it!) no more problems.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 10:11:03 am »

Using UNC paths throughout MC should not be a problem.  I use UNC paths extensively in many of my Libraries.  You can even use UNC paths in all of the options under Options > File Locations, and other places throughout MC.

They're considered "full citizens" with regular disk-letter based pathnames.

Pages: [1]   Go Up