INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Leopard is the best for music  (Read 9042 times)

Miki

Snow Leopard is the best for music
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:01:18 pm »

It doesn't work on Snow Leopard. Why ? It is still the best OS X version for music playback.
Synology 411 -> Mac Mini -> Ayre QB9 -> YBA Integre 300 -> Vaughn Cabernets

eternaloptimist

• Recent member
Snow Leopard is the best for music
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:07:05 pm »

Why do you think Snow Leopard is the best Mac OSX for music? Interface? I am assuming you don't mean sound quality, which would be silly.
If I were J RIver, I would support the last 2 versions or so, ie Lion and Mountain Lion. They are a small company; backward compatibiity costs $$$ and I would prefer the dollars were spent on progressing development on current OSX versions.
Just my 2 cents.

Miki

Re: Snow Leopard is the best for music
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 06:42:28 pm »

10.6.8 was the last OS supporting integer mode playback through audio core. So, no it is not silly.

erviv

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 06:47:09 pm »

It is working for me on snow leopard.  I can import and display my albums.  I have played music.  It does crash frequently when openning the files, and the volume is not controllable.  That is about as far as I have got so far.
MacBook Pro i5 2.3Ghz 8 GB (early 2011) 1Tb SSD; 3 Raspberry pi’s 4 and 2@ 3B (o/s: Buster).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:53:48 pm »

When you say "opening the files", do you mean playing them from within MC?

What kind of files?  AIFF?  ALAC?

Volume should be controllable with the volume slider in the upper left corner.  The keyboard volume keys don't yet work.

Click on the volume slider icon and select a different volume.  Internal, System, etc.

What device are you playing to?

mercman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 07:04:56 pm »

10.6.8 was the last OS supporting integer mode playback through audio core. So, no it is not silly.

Sorry, I don't agree. Lion and Mtn Lion sound better even without Integer.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 07:19:51 pm »

Apple only officially supports the current and previous versions of OSX which gives us 10.7 and 10.8.

That said, there are a lot of people still on 10.6.8 because they can't run anything newer or they don't like what they see in 10.7. Anyway, some of the 10.6 problems are probably cpu related since I've got it working on one 10.6.8 machine but it crashes on another. I'm thinking it's got something to do with sse4.1 which was only available in Mac Mini's from about 2008 IIRC. I'm seeing a crash (I think) in cximage.

On the machine that it does run on, it plays fine but the windowing is goofy.

Pale Rider

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:33:45 am »

Agreed, not silly, but change, and evaporation of support for older releases are inevitable. There are methods for dealing with the integer issue. As an Amarra, Audirvana Plus, and Fidelia user, and now an Elyric Music Manager and JRiver Media Center user, I would rather be running Mountain Lion and finding a different solution to my quest for sonic virtue.
Mac mini | PS Audio PWD MKII | BDP-105 |Decware Ultra Preamp | Decware Torii MK3 Amps | Decware ERR sextet | Taboo & Liquid Fire Headphone Amps |Audez\'e LCD-2 & JH13 Pro

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 01:03:17 am »

Here is a little trick that works for me on SL 10.6.8:

During my investigations, I found out that most of the graphical problems in SL seems to be caused by the web browser engine.
So the trick for using MC Mac with SL is to stay away from views that are using the web engine, mainly the start view.
Go to Tools -> Options -> Startup -> Location and set startup location to 'Audio' instead of Start.
Close and relaunch MC MAC.
This way when you start MC Mac you'll be in the Audio sections where most views Album, Artist, Panes, are working Ok.

It should allow you to explore most of MC Mac features under SL while the good folks at JRiver are working on a better solution for SL.

EDIT: and I did not notice any sound quality differences between 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8 that I am using on different macs. But my ears might be on the oldish side!

have a good day,

Christian

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

eternaloptimist

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 01:12:56 am »

I am aware of the whole integer etc. change, but can you *hear* it? If you can't then...

pirogallo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 03:14:24 am »

Apple only officially supports the current and previous versions of OSX which gives us 10.7 and 10.8.

That said, there are a lot of people still on 10.6.8 because they can't run anything newer or they don't like what they see in 10.7. Anyway, some of the 10.6 problems are probably cpu related since I've got it working on one 10.6.8 machine but it crashes on another. I'm thinking it's got something to do with sse4.1 which was only available in Mac Mini's from about 2008 IIRC. I'm seeing a crash (I think) in cximage.

On the machine that it does run on, it plays fine but the windowing is goofy.
That said, it is possible to know what is the JR policy about the minimum supported hardware / software?

Gone4it

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:17:22 am »

Would you say that for all players in general, I assume. You have not yet compared Mac mc18 yet!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 07:01:08 am »

That said, it is possible to know what is the JR policy about the minimum supported hardware / software?
We don't know yet.  If we can support older OSs without a lot of trouble, we will do so.

Miki

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:25:26 am »

Well that would depend on what kind of DAC you have. If your DAC doesn't support integer playback than it is pointless to discuss. If it does, and you played it before and not now and you still think it is better without it then fine, whatever works for you. My Ayre QB9 sounds way better in integer mode than in any other. And you can test that only with players that also support integer mode such as Decibel or Audirvana, I think iTunes doesn't belong here (not sure since I do not use it).

Thanks Cmagic, your procedure worked for me too. I am listening now.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:09:54 pm »

Thanks Cmagic, your procedure worked for me too. I am listening now.

You're welcome Miki, MC Mac is still rougher on Snow Leopard but at least it plays!...
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Miki

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 05:43:49 pm »

After a few hours of listening and comparing to my reference player Audirvana, I must say that I am impressed with the sound. It is still a tiny bit thinner and less focused, and the sound stage is slightly smaller but I would think that will improve in the future. The hiccups with UI and intermittent crashes will go away in time too.

I was not a user on Win since Mac is my only music engine, although I was contemplating of building a CAPS server (still sitting on a fence with this), I must say that I am dully impressed with the library management. So far my only management was the file system itself for my 3+ TB flac files. I think this will change with MC.

+1 for bringing MC to Macworld.

Rogerdn

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 03:18:17 pm »

Just a brief report I have it working today on 10.6.8 with no crashes, no issues,  am running USB into a PS Audio PWD DAC II.  Mini has intel Core i5. For me USB is inferior SQ on any player compared to the LAN Bridge, but initial impressions are MC 18 Mac is comparable to P Music, but too early to hear differences.
Pages: [1]   Go Up