INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon Fly audio has clicks, pops, and static  (Read 54645 times)

redjimmy9

• Recent member
Dragon Fly audio has clicks, pops, and static
« on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:27 pm »

I am a newbie and I'm experiencing a new issue that I did not have earlier. I am getting intermittent "pops" and static sound in the audio.  It seems to be somewhat random.  I am running Windows 7, MC version 18.0.106 through a Dragonfly to Audioquest Evergreen interconnect to A5+ speakers.  I have tried to follow the Audioquest setup guide.  When I run out through my PC soundcard, I don't have the problem.  I have exchanged the Dragonfly and the new one has the same issue so it must be something else.  

This is really ruining the enjoyable listening of music so I really would appreciate some help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Intermittent clicks, pops, and static in the audio
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 01:12:46 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  Try adjusting the buffer size up or down.  A very small value may be better.

Which audio driver are you using?  Did you try another?

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:16:21 pm »

Thanks for the welcome and reply.  Overall I am very happy with JRiver Media Center and especially happy to have upgraded from iTunes low-res music to higher-res sources and player.  There is a steep learning curve with this digital audio upgrade pathway but it seems well worth it.

I have lowered the buffering from 0-.3 to 0.2 seconds and lowered the hardware buffer size to 25 milliseconds. - with no improvement. Pre-buffereing remains set to 6 seconds.  I have tried using WASAPI-event style and WASAPI - no difference.  I use the updated MS Windows 7 audio driver or maybe its the Creative SoundBlaster XFI? (Is that what you meant? Or are you asking me to listen via iTunes or WinAmp? Are you recommending to replace the driver?)  None of these changes has improved the problem.     

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18:57 pm »

What are you playing?  FLAC?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:28:44 pm »

Try WASAPI - Event Style, and 100ms of buffering.

Turn off memory playback and try playing a file from a local disk (C:\).

Does any of that help?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 02:32:32 pm »

Yes, I play FLAC files (mostly sourced from HDTracks but a few are also ripped from CD).  I also play AIF (mostly sourced from HDTracks.)  By the way, I just got an error message saying something went wrong with playback when I tried to listen to an AIF file.  I must have something set incorrectly in addition to my clicking, static issue?

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 02:50:17 pm »

I have made the recommended changes: WASAPI Event Style, 100ms of buffering. I'm not sure but I believe that memory playback is not checked. I still get static/pops whether on C:/ or from my WD NAS.  All of my files (FLAC, AIF, etc.) play well - it's just this intermittent static and click is like a knife in the ear! 

I guess this must be something not related to MC so, I feel that perhaps I should not be prevailing upon the good folks in this forum.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:55:24 pm »

You could try this thread for ideas about this kind of problem:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=24031.0

Are they random or near the track boundary.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:02:28 pm »

Since you're using a USB DAC, I would try different USB ports on your computer and adding or removing a powered hub.

USB can be a little mysterious at times.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 04:08:31 am »

The "pops", is that an interruption of the playback stream or is it audio artefacts that appear either during playback only but without affecting the continuity of the audio stream playing or is it also present when not playing audio?

(I have a dreadful story on static noise myself, so I know how annoying it is)

Best regards,
Mikkel

DoubtingThomas

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:59 am »

I found that Microsoft Security Essentials would cause pops and intermittent garbling of my music after my system was running for over 2 days.  Rebooting solved it for another two days.  I used to simply restart  MSE every day from a scheduler, but then they changed it so I can't shut it down.  Now I reboot every day from the scheduler.

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »

I can use iTunes and other but MC has now almost continuous static and doesn't play music.  When I try MC and the static starts, I still hear it when I stop the audio from playing.  When I close MC, I don't hear the static.  I have followed all of the recommendations and settings but this is a serious problem.

Any ideas, anyone?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:07 pm »

MC is now 100% unusable.  I can use iTunes and other

Playing the same files, using the same driver?
but MC has now almost continuous static and doesn't play music.
When I try MC and the static starts, I still hear it when I stop the audio from playing.  When I close MC, I don't hear the static.  
What are your audio settings?

Can you play to another audio device?

Try ripping to FLAC from a CD.  Do those FLAC files play?

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 01:28:11 pm »

I have moved the dragonfly to a different USB port, still have the same issue.  I don't think this is the fault of the AudioEngine A5+ speakers.  I notice the problem is also worse/caused by moving the slider to advance or reverse the play.  If this is not an incompatible setting for MC it can only be some kind of problem with my computer (sound card or motherboard?) but it's strange that it only happens with MC and not in iTunes or Winamp.

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 01:41:41 pm »

In my troubleshooting, I have found that the problem is "solved" if I output from the analog audio out of my sound card (Creative SB X-Fi) to the A5+ speakers and have MC set to direct audio.  Static free. 

Obviously this is not the kind of MC configuration that I want.  I would like to use the Dragonfly and WASAPI-Event Style.  I would really like to know that I have done everything that I should be doing with no obvious error before going to the next step of replacing the motherboard and soundcard.  Any ideas???

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 01:51:50 pm »

That proves that MC can play the file, so the problem is either at the driver level or the hardware level.

Try it again.  Make sure MC plays to the Soundblaster without problems.  Then, using the same file, switch the output to the Dragonfly.  If WASAPI Event Style does not work, try Direct Sound.

If you think iTunes works, try it again, and then using the same file, try MC.

Ninouchka

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 01:55:07 pm »

Can you give a little more info please, what pc or laptop are you using?
Which driver mode do you use in MC?
Itunes, winamp and wmp are using directsound.
Try setting up media center as itunes.
If it was hardware related, the pops and static should occur in all media players.
As you don't record live instruments, you can go easily to 512 ms buffer size or even higher.
Remove the XFi card as these cards tend to not really go well together with other audio usb gear.

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2013, 02:23:53 pm »

I was enjoying a few audio files (16/44.1, 24/96, FLAC, AIF) in MC with no issues as long as set to Direct Mode and analog output from the sound card to the AudioEngine A5+ speakers.  The device is set to primary sound driver.  Elsewise, I have followed most of the suggestions from the earlier posts for settings.  It was a real pleasure to listen to music (although not optimally configured.)

Then, I switched back to the Dragonfly, WASAPI-Event Style and the same files, produce the static.

I have an Alienware, Area 51 with Intel i7CPU 930@2.80 GHz, 64 bit Windows 7 Pro.  The sound card was recently replaced by Dell, Creative X-Fi SB.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2013, 02:28:45 pm »

In DSP Studio, Output Format, you can force everything to 44.1/16.  That is worth trying, just as a test.

Did you ever try one of your PC's USB ports?  In other words, not a hub.

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 02:42:43 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. MC didn't like it for a 24 bit file and wanted to change it but I tried a 16 bit file.  Still get static.  I guess I'm starting to get concerned regarding all of the changes made so far and nothing seems to help and I don't feel confident regarding the configuration.  This has been too steep a learning curve and I thought that winamp was bad but I am getting really frustrated  :'(, As bad as iTunes is, its tempting just to enjoy the low res without the hastle.

I am truly stuck.   :'(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 02:49:39 pm »

If you feel that way, why not use DirectSound?

I'm pretty sure that something is wrong at the hardware or driver level.   Does any software work with the Dragonfly?  If so, what are its settings?

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 02:55:11 pm »

Well how disappointing that MC would only work with Direct Sound (feels like being cheated.)  iTunes works fine with Dragonfly.  Winamp works fine with Dragonfly.  BTW, I do not use a hub at all.  How about a refund then if you feel that way.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 03:08:39 pm »

... disappointing that MC would only work with Direct Sound ...
Did MC work with Direct Sound?

MC normally works with several modes.  You can read more here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
 iTunes works fine with Dragonfly.  Winamp works fine with Dragonfly.
With what settings?  They may be using Direct Sound.

I'm only trying to help you find what the problem is.

I think you should contact Audioquest support and confirm that you have it set correctly.

redjimmy9

• Recent member
Re: Dragon Fly audio has clicks, pops, and static
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 03:45:41 pm »

I apologize for venting my frustration.  The static/pops/EMI has been driving me nuts.  Everyone has been pretty nice to try and help and I really appreciate it.

MC plays files with Direct Sound fine (i.e., no static/EMI sounds) when I am running from the analog out of the sound card to the speakers.  MC plays files but with static/EMI when I am running USB/dragonfly WASAPI-Event Style.   I have everything set according to Audioquest, I even prevailed upon Amazon to replace the Dragonfly and now that I have a new replacement it turns out that it must not have been the dragonfly.

The Audioengine A5+ speakers play great from other sources.  I do not get any static/EMI from my iPhone5 nor from othersources. I have an appointment with Dell to replace my motherboard and soundcard tomorrow.  Hopefully, this will resolve the issue and I can go back to enjoying MC in the best configuration that my hardware will allow.

I am pretty excited about listening to high resolution audio files and have downloaded numerous 24/96 FLAC files to enjoy.  I have ripped some CDs to FLAC and to AIFF, using MC.  I don't know how I can go back to the farm now that I have seen Paris.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 12:49:42 am »

Just to say that I have an Audioquest Dragonfly and it plays just fine with MC Wasapi Event Style and Windows 7  or Windows 8.  The sample rate lights behave as they should.  An excellent little thing.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 05:58:48 am »

Drop outs can be a matter of a system with a high latency.
You can simply check this by running Resplendence LatencyMon: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 03:57:09 pm »

Try latencymon to see if you've got a latency problem.

Another useful troubleshooting tool is try Foobar2000.  Foobar also can do WASAPI as well as ASIO.  If Foobar has the same playback issues then you know that the problem is elsewhere other than Foobar or JRiver.

The DragonFly DAC does some unique things in the way it does volume and other processing.  The way it deals with the USB audio drivers is different than any other USB DAC.  It does things differently enough that the DragonFly won't work properly with Vista, has some issues with Windows 8, yet works with XP and Windows 7.  It is doing some unusual things in the way to interacts with the USB Audio drivers.  Troubleshooting the thing may take you into territory that has never been touched or uncovered by any other USB DAC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 04:44:11 pm »

I just added a new zone, set MC to 'WASAPI - Event Style' on the Dragonfly, and played.  It asked me to confirm an auto-configuration for 24-bit output, then proceeded to play great.

I'm not sure what might be different, but we've had great luck with the Dragonfly unit on several PCs (and even Macs) here.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 05:49:21 pm »

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 07:26:41 pm »

I should explain my previous comment about the DragonFly.  I didn't intend to imply it is bad in any way.  Just that it's doing things differently and might uncover some unique issues when troubleshooting playback problems.

I don't have a DragonFly and haven't used one.  I'd like to try one sometime to find out how it sounds and how it works.

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 09:18:40 pm »

First -> are pops static random?? or they happen at the same time. I assume random.

Check latency first: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

In my experience: JRiver WASAPI being "streaming direct" is more sensitive to the setup.
[Itunes and other use just windows mode so they have easy job... - there are less sensitive to set-up]

Many time wireless usb cards drivers will create pops/clicks/static

Resources on optimizing your Windows for Audio and avoiding pops and clips:

Pops, clicks, crackles, dropouts, or distortion – USB Audio Troubleshooting Guide
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=de0c17eee57afeeba3978a213b6d86ac

Optimizing your PC for audio on Windows 7
http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1071

Eradicating PC Audio Clicks & Pops [General write-up]
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct06/articles/pcmusician_1006.htm

USB Audio Series FAQ's - Answers to commonly asked questions
http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?3-USB-Audio-Series-FAQ-s-Answers-to-commonly-asked-questions

IRQ Troubleshooting (Windows)
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=80d7b56e35ea51e73104295aec1f755b

Unfortunately there is no easy answer -> lot of troubleshooting ahead...
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 06:57:37 pm »

I'm trying out one of these portable DACs right now, it is a nice little unit!

Use Wasapi Event Style for audio output, then go to output mode settings to the right Hardware Buffer Size.

25 milliseconds has worked fine so far for me, but the default (100ms) caused pops and clicks.

It's already been mentioned in this thread, but be sure to read up on these:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

Edit: Just read above and saw this setting didn't work for you. I had to plug and unplug mine a few times before it set up, worth a shot. Also, try a system reboot. Make sure you don't have a usb wireless mouse in the same usb bus. Good luck!

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 02:39:33 pm »

Today, Dell replaced my soundcard and motherboard but this did not solve the Audioquest Dragonfly noise issue. My computer checks out 100%  I sent Audioquest an email today.

Dear Audioquest,

I am unable to enjoy the use of my Dragonfly because when it is used in my computer system it results in intermittent "pops", "crackles", electrical -type noise.  I have not been able to solve the problem(nor has the JRiver forum) and need your help to use the Dragonfly.  When I am interconnected out of my computer soundcard  i.e., analog/analog to the speakers, there is no problem.  Only when I am using the dragonfly is there this issue.

Background Information:  I have an Alienware Area 51 desktop computer, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, with 12 Gigabytes of RAM, Creative SB Titanium X-Fi soundcard.  I use JRiver MC 18, and also occasionally iTunes and winamp.  I use an Audioquest evergreen interconnect to audioengine a5+ speakers.  I have looked at the Audioquest website and believe that I have made all of the directed settings.  In JRMC18, I have prebuffering set to the lowest setting of 2 seconds, WASAPI Event Style. I also have the same noise problem in iTunes and in any occasion where I am using the dragonfly.

Thinking the dragonfly was defective, I returned  to Amazon and paid them a $49 restocking fee to send another one and it also has the same noise problem. The dragonfly is nicely seated in a USB port directly on the computer and I have tried other USB ports as well.  

Today, I had Dell replace the motherboard and soundcard on my computer and it did not solve the issue. The dragonfly is in an unusable status for me and I would sincerely appreciate your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 02:46:48 pm »

Try going through this thread carefully.

If you have another PC, it would also be worth a try.

sla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 10:19:04 am »

Please go through the list of links I suggested.

People reported this kind of behaviour from:
- wireless network card [= HAVE YOU DISABLED IT?]
- also drivers from graphic cards [= CAN YOU PUT DIFFERENT CARD AND SEE?]

I can see that Alien-ware has dual PCI-E cards? That is a lot of PCI-E bandwith?

Please understand that all USB HUBS/DEVICES are connected through PCI-E Bus to CPU so if your graphic cards, wireless cards and other are hogging PCI-E Bus your USB device is on a bottom of the totem pole for PCI-E resources and interrupts...

Try to disable devices/cards one by one and see if this makes a difference
JRiver on Silent/Fanless STREACOM FC5 EVO -> DSD through Firewire on Mytek 192 DSD -> CODA 05r pre/CODA 10.5 amp -> Sonics Amerigo Speakers

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 05:54:43 pm »

So, just to be sure I understand, you gave up on using a Dragonfly?

redjimmy9

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 07:11:13 pm »

To be sure, I am giving up on Dragonfly.  I believe the Audioquest Dragonfly audio noise, clicks, pops, and static is solved (at least for me.) I have returned the Dragonfly to Amazon and received a refund.

So now I am in the market for a new DAC, perhaps the Meridian Explorer or maybe the Teac UD-501. Any recommendations?

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their kind assistance.

sirganty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 02:32:33 am »

the dragonfly gives me no problems whatsoever in my portable set up; ivybridge laptop with dragonfly running on the usb3 bus

I didn't need to change any settings from the default wasapi event style,

sirganty

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 02:37:19 am »

It is the only usb device connected to the usb3 bus when I'm using it though?

Very occasionally, when the dragonfly gets knocked out of place in the usb port it will stop functioning altogether, and I need to close MC, remove the dragonfly, re-insert and restart MC, but after that it works like a charm again.

Its a fantastic little dac from a cost / size / portability perspective.
Those ess sabre chips are definitely my favourite.

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Re: Dragon Fly audio has clicks, pops, and static
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 06:12:07 am »

To be sure, I am giving up on Dragonfly.  I believe the Audioquest Dragonfly audio noise, clicks, pops, and static is solved (at least for me.) I have returned the Dragonfly to Amazon and received a refund.

So now I am in the market for a new DAC, perhaps the Meridian Explorer or maybe the Teac UD-501. Any recommendations?

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their kind assistance.

I don't think you will be any further ahead with another Dac.  IMO, the issue is related to your system.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Dragon Fly audio has clicks, pops, and static
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 07:00:53 am »

I don't think you will be any further ahead with another Dac.  IMO, the issue is related to your system.
That's my guess, too, but trying another DAC might be a good test to help confirm that.

dragon1952

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2013, 10:21:35 pm »

I have been having a similar problem. I'm running JRiver MC18 on a pretty powerful PC using FLAC files on a local drive with a HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC 2 USB DAC connected to the PC and the DAC to powered monitors. Static like the pops and crackles from a dirty vinyl recording. Mine is intermittent and sometimes closing JRiver and restarting it seems to solve the issue temporarily. I'm using WSAPI, 100ms buffer and using the TeraLink-X2 USB Audio Device driver that the manufacturer of the DAC provides.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2013, 10:32:05 pm »

I have been having a similar problem. I'm running JRiver MC18 on a pretty powerful PC using FLAC files on a local drive with a HiFiMeDIY Sabre DAC 2 USB DAC connected to the PC and the DAC to powered monitors. Static like the pops and crackles from a dirty vinyl recording. Mine is intermittent and sometimes closing JRiver and restarting it seems to solve the issue temporarily. I'm using WSAPI, 100ms buffer and using the TeraLink-X2 USB Audio Device driver that the manufacturer of the DAC provides.

Please try MC 18.0.193 from here if you haven't:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81051.0

dragon1952

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »

Thanks....I've downloaded it and will report back.

pinouk

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 06:05:22 pm »

Go to Device Manager - USB controllers - properties -power management

and uncheck "allow computer to turn off this device to save power"

for every USB port you find

This fixed it for me with Windows 7 professional
Pages: [1]   Go Up