INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center for Mac version 18.0.141 Alpha -- Available Here  (Read 14597 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

This is an alpha release of Media Center for Mac.  If you aren't comfortable with a few problems, please wait a few days.

Please read this before downloading.

Download:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v18/latest/MediaCenter180141.dmg

18.0.141 (2/26/2013)

1. Fixed: Sound devices that requested planar instead of interleaved data were not working.
2. Fixed: Cover art next to audio files was not loading properly.

18.0.140 (2/25/2013)

1. Fixed: The program would not run on systems without SSE 4.1 support.
2. Changed: Retooled SSE assembly everywhere in the program so that SSSE 3 is the low-water mark for SSE acceleration (previously SSE 4.1 was required in most places to get acceleration).
3. Fixed: Thread priorities were not implemented fully on Mac.

18.0.139 (2/22/2013)

1. Fixed: Wrong options file was being used in the 138 build resulting in frequent crashes.

18.0.138 (2/22/2013)

1. NEW: Added support for Core Audio exclusive output in Options > Audio > Output mode settings (enabled by default).
2. Fixed: Memory playback was not working properly.
3. Fixed: Plugins were not working because working path was not being set, this caused playback to fail.

18.0.137 (2/21/2013)

1. Fixed: Audio format converter working.
2. Changed: Register dynamic libs on first run after install rather than every startup.
3. Changed: Auto-update partially works. It will show whether version is up to date and download new version. Need to manually install.
4. Fixed: Show/Set update download directory not working.
5. Fixed: Search in options dialog not working.
6. Fixed: Encoder properties dialog in options not working.
7. Fixed: Clicking away from in-place editing box doesn't cancel edit mode.
8. Fixed: Mouse wheel support.
9. Changed: Close,Minimize,Maximize buttons moved to left side of frame.
10. Fixed: Lots of UI windowing issues (z-order,  white windows, black windows, floating windows,  etc.) should be fixed.
11. Fixed: Files with really long path names weren't importing.

18.0.136 (2/20/2013)

1. Fixed: Library backup / restore works, although restoring a library from the Windows version is not fully working yet.
2. Fixed: Internal volume working.
3. Fixed: Player window displaying wrong playback time.
4. Fixed: Some of the window z-order issues.
5. Changed: Somewhat friendlier message about lack of web browser support.
6. Changed: New and improved installer graphic.

18.0.133 (2/15/2013)

1. NEW: First release of Media Center on Mac.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: JRiver Media Center for Mac version 18.0.141 Alpha -- Available Here
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 07:22:01 pm »

When you click-drag the corner of the window and resize it to the minimum size, it acts oddly once you hit the minimum size.

Instead of just stopping, it starts to "move" the entire window as you continue to drag your mouse, which can cause it to go partially off-screen.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:28:28 pm »

With OS 10.6.8:

Built in sound does work however.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:15:23 am »

Quick .141 test

2. Fixed: Cover art next to audio files was not loading properly.

Confirmed, cover arts are Ok now for both next to and inside files, Rebuild thumbnail works again

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

sas

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:44:29 am »

Continuing problems with cover art. Art added in tags is fine, art in the folder in folder.jpg format works sometimes but not in all cases. Getting art from internet works up to point of saving the file, but file is not saved. Unable to select jpg file when using the select file option.

I am, however, very impressed with how quickly files are imported and played from my Synology NAS. Much faster than the competition. No problems with my DAC, a Burson Conductor running straight through (no sample rate changes, no dithering, etc.). Excellent sound, no clicks/pops noticed.

edited to add
More cover art started to work as I played with settings. However, I am at the point where the option setting for "folder.jpg" format will not set. MC exits when I press "save" and reverts to previous choice (in folder but not folder.jpg) when restarted.

Media Center 18.0.141
MacBook Pro Mid 2012, 15", 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, 512 GB SSD, Mountain Lion 10.8.2
Synology DS412+
Burson Conductor/Audeze LCD3

rblnr

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:13:13 am »

Newest build now opens on my iMac Core Duo -- you guys are great!  Obviously you're working very hard on this.

A couple of ?s, stupid perhaps as I'm new to the program:

I was only able to import a few playlists out of the few hundred I have -- is this a known problem or am I missing something?

Is playback thru a remote Apple device (Airport Express, Apple TV) baked in yet or planned?  Don't see it if so, using Airfoil now.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:25:58 am »

We like to keep this thread uncluttered so we have a good list of problems.  Please start a new thread with any questions.  Provide some details about the playlist formats.  No Apple devices are supported.  We do support DLNA.

doc6502

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:46:52 am »

Just downloaded 18.0.141, am seeing the following:

I have a MBP 17", running OS X 10.8.2 with an external monitor.  External monitor used as desktop extension.  

• Started MC, when opened, dragged frame to external monitor. No problems-- MC shows normally.
  • I started import of M4A audio.  Some 23k files total.
  • Because I am ornery and like to break things, during the import, I clicked on Files option in the Audio menu list.  Abend.  Import terminated, MC terminated.  (If you want the log I'll hunt it down, let me know-- on a tight schedule today and may not be able to get to it until this evening.)
  • Restarted MC, dragged frame to second monitor.
  • Left Clicked on Files option and the files that were processed prior to the import abend were get written to the database.  So, yay.
  • Right Clicked on Files to see context menu options.  Context menu appears, BUT on MBP screen, not external monitor.  Location of context menu consistent with location of main frame prior to dragging to external monitor.
  • Hovered mouse over random track in Files list.  Balloon appeared with track information and artwork, BUT also on primary monitor.   Location of balloon consistent with location of main frame prior to dragging to external monitor

BTW, I have been waiting for this port for several years.  I'm thrilled you guys are doing this.  If you need me to break anything (I've been doing it for years as a software engineer and tester), please let me know.

EDIT:
Continuing from the above...
  • Moved the frame back into the primary menu.  (The menu options work regardless of where the frame is, BTW, but it's disorienting to click on a pulldown on one screen and then travel to another screen to select the option.)
  • Decided to redo the import.  Attempted to select all items in the Audio->File scheme by pressing Ctrl-A.  Selected file in displayed scheme jumped forward to the next file that began with "A"
  • Tried ATTN-A.  Nothing happened-- no selection change, no beep, nothing.
  • Selected Edit->Select All, which worked.  All files selected.
  • Selected Edit->Delete.  Got the confirmation dialog (delete from library, move files to trash, delete files permanently).  Selected delete from library.
  • Spinning beach ball.
  • Crashed after about 15 mins.

EDIT:
Continuing from the above...
  • Re-opened MC
  • All files had been removed from library
  • Set up auto-import to watch my M4A and FLAC directories (the FLAC files are on an external HD)
  • Ran auto-import.  Took about 4.5 hours to import about 47,000 M4A and FLAC files (tags + artwork).  Runs slightly slower than Windows version of MC 18 on a 64-bit Windows 7 VM under Parallels.
  • Got the auto-import report.
  • Closed auto-import report and went to Files -> Audio.  Beach ball of death.  Hung for about 15 mins before I terminated the app.
  • Re-opened MC.  Library has all imported items in count at the bottom of the list.  Files play OK so far.   ;D

kwyatt99

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:41:16 pm »

OK. I don't see this problem described and it's just weird. I launch the program, it comes up with big blank page saying "web page not supported...". I hit "Audio", the entire program disappears (but Media Center 18 shows in upper left hand where the current program should be). The only easy way to get it back is to select (actually just tap it, not even open it) the media center file (the one which lets you drag the program to Applications) which I originally downloaded and still have on my desktop. Then when I click on my MC Icon in my dock, the program comes right up, and now it comes up with the album thumbnails, not the big blank screen saying "web page not supported..."

Very weird.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 12:49:18 pm »

We saw that a couple builds ago on 10.6.  Are you using 18.0.141?

kwyatt99

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:55:44 pm »

Yes, 10.6.8. I'm using 18.0.140. I'll download the .141 and see what happens.

kwyatt99

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 01:07:42 pm »

No change with .141

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 01:55:18 pm »

kwyatt, have you tried to set Tools -> Options -> Startup -> Audio (instead of start) and relaunch MC ?
This will avoid to land on a web engine page upon startup.
The trick works for me on 10.6.8

Cheers,

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

kwyatt99

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 04:35:09 pm »

Hey, thanks! That seems to work.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 05:52:51 pm »

A few quickies that I looked at:

RFE on both platforms: Can 'Image File' be a written tag? For example, I have APE/APL files that have the proper image file in WinMC, but examining the files with MP3Tag doesn't show any tag written, so when those files are imported into MC Mac, cover art doesn't automatically appear. (This may be an APE/APL-specific note.)

(141)
- Can grab the title bar of MC and drag it up 'behind' the Mac menu bar
- DTS files import, but do not play ('Something went wrong with playback')
- Need to make clear that "Exclusive Access" in Core Audio Output mode will disable volume control via the system controls, but allow control via MC controls.
- Stop/Pause etc. buttons aren't registering for me on 1st mouse click, but do on the second mouse click after being in the options window. Other times, the buttons do work as expected.
- Cover art stored next to files are showing in playing now and in the display pane, but not consistently in library views. Rebuild thumbnail seems to have no effect for me.
- Tagging of APE files seems to be non functional. I get an error every time that the file is in use, etc.

Already reported (133, 134):
- "Quick Play" menu has reference to "Explorer" instead of "Finder"
- Import of APL files failed.
- Did a "Quick Find in Cover Art directory" on the imported APE file. Associated the correct Image file, but then threw an error about tagging/moving files in use.
- Would not build thumbnail or display associated cover art.
- Auto-update from 133 non-functional, but it does seem to fail gracefully with an error message.
- Keyboard commands seem to be non-functional (certainly ctrl-o, which should be mapped to cmd-o in the Macintosh world).
- The 'Locate' functions don't specify which one is which (w/in MC or External)
- AC3 files imported (without tags), but playback fails with an error message.

Mindful hermit

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 06:22:32 pm »

After attempting to retrieve cover art from the internet (which has been unsuccessful) when I try to close MC, this message appears: "Running Tools: Get Cover Art -- Please close any running tools and try again".  Today I left the program running and returned in one hour, tried to close the program, and the same message reappears:   I can only exit the program by forcing it to close.
Any suggestions?  Other than refraining from trying to import cover art?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 06:27:42 pm »

I believe JRiver has not yet implemented the necessary network code for things like auto-updates, cover art lookup/submission, CD lookups, etc.

They have to convert their Windows networking code to *nix-style sockets.  It is not terribly difficult, but will take a little time as it is a new networking code platform.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Mindful hermit

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:58 pm »

Thanks for your reply!  I will "cease and desist" from trying to import cover files until that option has been fully implemented in a future release.  Everything else works fine, including decent audio!  It's hard to wait for implementation of MC's excellent organizing potential -- but what is already available holds great promise.

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 12:28:02 am »

18.0.141 launches then crashes within 30 secs.  No importing or playing active.  Nothing selected.

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 05:55:18 am »

Hi there,

As written a while ago on the initial release thread (and unfortunately unanswered), I'm missing a MP3 encoder. I can't convert my files down to 128kbit MP3 for the car's audio SD card reader. Am I'm missing something or is this just not included yet or a way to implement myself?

For me that's one of the main features I currently need, making the PC version via Parallels obsolete.

Thanks,

Mighty A-MAN

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 06:14:09 am »

18.0.141 launches then crashes within 30 secs.  No importing or playing active.  Nothing selected.

If you're running 10.6, see cmagic's comments about setting the program to start in audio.

JHR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:01 am »

Cover art again:
  • cover art in the music folder named correctly now works, but only after 1) refreshing the album individually and 2) restarting MC. It's not enough, apparently, to just place the cover art in the right directory and start the program
  • ETA: newly imported information with cover art in place in folder (in other words, moving brand new files into a watched directory) works fine. It's only existing albums without cover art that require a manual refresh and restart.
  • cover art selection from a local disk or from the default directory doesn't work. When you go to add them from a file, the images are there, but they cannot be selected (permissions maybe? or not implemented yet?)

Using latest OSX; tested on two systems.

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:11 am »

Improving almost daily, thank you! Where does support for SACD-ISO files stand in the to-do list?

pkoss

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 10:58:56 am »

re:  Screen Artifacts

Not a priority, but an FYI for your issues list.  See the attachedpicture.  I put this in mini viewer to show the artifact, but the white box appears if the player is minimized and when the track changes. 

Notes I minimize using the OSX Dock "Hide" option under the JRiver icon in the doc.  This works fine, but the artifact appears (at least) when tracks change.  Also, note that I use the "Hide" control since the minimize (Windows) button does not work, but like your strategy says, fix get the product stable, and later make it a Mac product.

Great product BTW. 

Mighty_A-MAN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • The world rotates, so does my car's engine ...
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 12:52:22 pm »

Is there a MP3 encoder integrated or can it be added separately?

Thank you so much for what I guess is an easy answer.

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 01:34:57 pm »

Improving almost daily, thank you! Where does support for SACD-ISO files stand in the to-do list?

I'm hoping 'Media Network' will be considered as urgent, unable to use before this is working  - DLNA streamers sadly quiet until then.  :'(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 01:51:12 pm »

I'm hoping 'Media Network' will be considered as urgent, unable to use before this is working  - DLNA streamers sadly quiet until then.  :'(
We're working on it.

awkwardbay

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 02:00:11 pm »

Hi,

Just downloaded build 18.0.141 on my Mac Mini running Mac OS X 10.8.2 and not seen any problems so far. The previous build crashed on the first song I tried to play although subsequent plays were OK.

Anyway I'm mostly interested in Media Center for the Photo management facility. Any idea when this feature is likely to be added? The sooner I can move away from Windows the better as far as I'm concerned.

Will we be able to open Windows MC libraries from Mac and vice-versa in the future and will they have to be on the same MC version?

I've been a MC user for a few years and I still think it's one of the finest software packages available in terms of features for the price and it just keeps getting better.

Keep up the great work.

Tony.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 02:04:25 pm »

Anyway I'm mostly interested in Media Center for the Photo management facility. Any idea when this feature is likely to be added? The sooner I can move away from Windows the better as far as I'm concerned.
It will come after audio and before video.
Will we be able to open Windows MC libraries from Mac and vice-versa in the future and will they have to be on the same MC version?
Open, maybe.  Import, yes.
I've been a MC user for a few years and I still think it's one of the finest software packages available in terms of features for the price and it just keeps getting better.
Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up