INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connected Media on Gizmo?  (Read 4349 times)

SecondJon

• Recent member
Connected Media on Gizmo?
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:37 pm »

(You can skip this, it's just backstory)
I just purchased MediaCenter (yay tax refund) after a trial experimenting with our new house that was wired for whole house audio back in the 60s but with no audio equipment, just a bunch of cables coming down and soldered to some old 1/4 inch inputs. I thought that I should be able to control the zones (there's a lot... at least 15) from a PC with multiple sound cards and figured I'd write an app to control the various rooms (I'm a software engineer) but then found MediaCenter. On the trial I found that I can set up zones to multiple cheap USB sound cards and with some adapters connect them to the 1/4 inch inputs that control speaker jacks around the house.

I've now bought it and am wondering about sending connected media (web radio/internet radio) to different zones from Gizmo. I'd love to send to a radio stream to my TV or Blu-Ray player via DLNA or to a speaker zone, say my office, without having to go to the computer with the library in the basement.

I've added 2 streams, but don't see a way to add Connected Media. (I found a setting somewhere to modify the Gizmo and Web Gizmo menus, but can't find it again.)

Can this be done?

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Connected Media on Gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:44:19 pm »

Adding Connected Media to Gizmo has been a long standing request, but I guess it has not (yet) reached the top of the list of things to do.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 02:48:17 pm »

Adding Connected Media to Gizmo has been a long standing request, but I guess it has not (yet) reached the top of the list of things to do.
I believe you can make a playlist of a radio station, and get it that way.

SecondJon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 05:56:17 pm »

I believe you can make a playlist of a radio station, and get it that way.

That did the trick! In just a few minutes I had streaming radio to my DLNA television. Here's a brief tutorial I put together in case anyone else is searching for this solution as I was.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 02:52:10 am »

That is the good thing with MC!  Where there is the will... there is a way.  Nice write up, do you want to add it to the wiki?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:27:14 am »

FYI - here is a list of the direct links for Australia --> http://www.australianliveradio.com/

The issue I have is that I can not actually plays these streams in Gizmo locally on the Andriod Tablet or Phone, it says "Preparing" for awhile then stops.  I can use Gizmo however to play it back to MC itself.
JRiver CEO Elect

SecondJon

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:42:05 am »

That is the good thing with MC!  Where there is the will... there is a way.  Nice write up, do you want to add it to the wiki?

I'd love to add it to the wiki, but I don't think I can... I cannot create an account to log into the wiki, the website says:

" You do not have permission to create this user account, for the following reason:

The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Administrators."

How do I go about getting a wiki account?

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:22:13 am »

The wiki isn't open to all any more.  We had too many problems with spammers.  It's too bad.

SecondJon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:28:04 am »

The wiki isn't open to all any more.  We had too many problems with spammers.  It's too bad.

I'm not asking for access for all, I'm asking for access to me.  ;)

This may explain why it's so hard to find information on the wiki, if it's not really a wiki, but an ever more dated snapshot of incomplete notes from when it was a wiki.

If J river isn't maintaining documentation about the software, is there any third party that meets this need of us who are paying for the software?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:46:38 am »

This may explain why it's so hard to find information on the wiki, if it's not really a wiki, but an ever more dated snapshot of incomplete notes from when it was a wiki.
JRiver staff, MrC, and several others maintain it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 04:29:18 pm »

JRiver staff, MrC, and several others maintain it.

Woops - I'll stop asking people to add stuff themselves!  - I've added this one to the Wiki at http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA#Connected_Media_-_Streaming_Web_Radio_via_DLNA
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up