INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In case anyone was tagging with lyrics via Lyrics Wiki and Foobar 2000....  (Read 27589 times)

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck

I have been tagging lyrics using Foobar 2000 for a long time.  However, initially I didn't realize that some of the songs Lyrics Wiki have are not complete, and instead contain a disclaimer : "Unfortunately, we are not licensed to display the full lyrics for this song at the moment. Hopefully we will be able to in the future. Until then, how about a random page?
[I want to edit metadata]"

In the past, I have manually updated the lyrics when I happened to come across them, but recently found a better way.  The search functionality in MC is capable of searching any tag, including Lyrics.  If you search your entire music collection using the Search Wizard, you can choose Lyrics as your field, and change the search operator to "contains", and then simply search for the first line of the disclaimer "Unfortunately, we are not licensed to display".

You end up with the list of MP3s you have inadvertently tagged with incomplete lyrics.  Pretty handy I have to say.  Unfortunately, my list is much longer than I had originally thought, does anyone know of any other way other than Foobar2K + Lyrics Wiki to update lyrics automatically ?  I have tried the other sites available via the Lyrics Grabber 2 plugin for Foobar, but found none of them work (deliberately, since lyrics sites all want you to come to their site and read ads, and not just scrape their lyrics).

Thanks,
DD.

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount

Just FYI - be advised that online lyrics are often wrong.

They are simply some person listening and typing what they think they heard.

Lyrics are copyrighted, so they cannot get the lyrics directly from the labels.

Also, when you right-click on a song in MC18, the Links choice can be made to point to a Lyrics site, so you don't really need to have the information stored on your hard drive.

Dare978Devil

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks, yeah, am aware Lyric sites are not always accurate.  However, they are pretty good, and many site users are sufficiently anal that they will correct "your" vs "you're".  Lyric Wiki is the best by far (IMHO), accurate with no annoying popups.

In other news, the Links thing works really well!  I had to play around with the HTML a bit to get it to work, but I have added Lyrics Wiki successfully to the list of Links on the right-click menu.  It opens directly to the song in question based on the Artist and Name fields :

http:////lyrics.wikia.com//search//full_search.php?search=Hexify([Artist]:[Name])

Now when I right-click "Pearl Jam - Jeremy" for instance, the lyrics pop up instantly in the embedded browser.  Very nice, tks.

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount

Thanks !  I will steal your Lyrics search, as I do like to read them in certain cases (Bob Dylan would be a perfect case where the lyrics are important, and sometimes he does not enunciate very well :) ).

Here are the ones I added to the existing links (some with the help of MrC for syntax):

Wikipedia for Album rather than artist:

http:////www.en.wikipedia.org//wiki//Special:Search?search=removecharacters(Replace([Album]if(isequal([Genre],Soundtrack),/ soundtrack,), / , +), ')

All Music Guide for Album rather than artist:

http:////www.allmusic.com//search//album//Hexify([Album])

I always use "Open in External Browser" because MC18 is already too crowded already. :)

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance

How do I go about adding the information above to the context menu?  I want to try it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up