INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Will MC18 get the TV guide updates we have been asking for? (UPDATES MADE!)  (Read 12786 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe

This post is sort of a reminder and a bump...
Many of us have requested the TV guide (Theater View) be modified to show which shows are scheduled to be recorded (like a small "R" in a circle in the time slot of the guide). we also would like to see the "current time of day clock" on the same screen with the guide.
Are either of these items planned to happen in version 18?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
Re: W2ill MC18 get the TV guide updates we have been asking for?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 12:38:28 am »

+1 for this

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
Re: Will MC18 get the TV guide updates we have been asking for?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:31:44 am »

+1!!!  me too, please

Small R, different color highlight, something would be great.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 11:16:42 am »

+1

We try to do everything in Theater View on our large screen. But whenever we want to watch Live TV we have to go to our HTPC monitor and check in Standard View what is scheduled to be recorded. Otherwise we may get part way through something and then have to cancel it to allow a recording. This is definitely not user friendly!

The need for a clock, preferably with a vertical bar in the Guide, has been requested several times. For this retired person who no longer wears a watch and doesn't always know the time it's a necessity. Too many times I have started to watch a show in the middle, or tried to watch something way in the past. Very frustrating!

These both seem like simple improvements to implement and would do wonders for many peoples experiences with and good vibes towards MC. 

We really hope that TV will get some love in V18.

Thanks,
Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:51:54 am »

This post is sort of a reminder and a bump...
Many of us have requested the TV guide (Theater View) be modified to show which shows are scheduled to be recorded (like a small "R" in a circle in the time slot of the guide). we also would like to see the "current time of day clock" on the same screen with the guide.
Are either of these items planned to happen in version 18?

After re-reading your post I got to thinking of your concept for an indicator in the Guide by the scheduled recordings. It would be helpful, but in addition I think a separate list in Theater View is a necessity, although it could be included say at the top of the guide. If I want to watch a Live TV show at say 7 PM, or schedule a recording I don't want to have to scroll through the entire Guide to see what may be scheduled that would conflict.

Cheers,
Rod

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:53:48 am »

Good idea Rod.

JRiver - How about throwing us a bone - and at least give us the "clock" for now.  ;)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 10:44:22 am »

It is not hard to figure out how to make a workable EPG/Live and Recorded TV usage model. WMC makes it very easy, just plagirize it to the extent legally possible. As the previous poster said throw us a bone. I asked for a clock two years ago!.

The whole mess needs to be recrafted..

I challenge the designers/developers to spend a week using a Ceton in WMC with a remote and then spend a week using MC 18 and a Ceton with a remote... full use, recording, live TV, recording playback and tell me which is the useable interface. I applaud the work being done to make the Ceton work in MC 18 but the whole user interface is horrid. I just don't think they have been willing to invest the resources.

What they miss, is that if TV worked like it should in MC, it could become the mainstream HTPC app. I know this an audio house, but you can have it both ways. Either you are Medica Center company or you are an Audio Jukebox company.

Currently, anyone who needs a DVR with a 10 ft interface and has used WMC will throw rocks at the Theater View/Standard View back and forth... and really why is a clock so hard to implement. Anytime the guide is displayed it ought to be positioned at the last channel tuned and current time. Why is that a hard concept?

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:01 am »

Maybe the JRiver guys are working on this for MC19? Which is why we are not getting any responses....

Its a shame because if the guide were more like Wmc fully automated using the remote and a clock and a way to know what you have set to record. It would be perfect........

Maybe someone will chime on from JRiver and tell use if we will see these features?

Regards

Dave

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »

Maybe the JRiver guys are working on this for MC19? Which is why we are not getting any responses....

Don't hold your breath. If you do a search you'll see that this has been requested many, many times by a lot of different users and I've never seen any response from the staff or any sign of interest in adding these features.

Its a shame because if the guide were more like Wmc fully automated using the remote and a clock and a way to know what you have set to record. It would be perfect........

I couldn't agree more. And I guess this is the main reason why many still use WMC. Personally I don't anymore because I'm (naively?) hoping that MC will get there someday, if not in version 19 then in 20 or...

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 03:16:47 pm »

I agree these are desperately needed, but I'd go one step further and not just want a clock on the screen but a vertical line down the guide indicating the current time so you can very easily see when programs are "In the past" and not select that one to try to watch.

Plus the guide would need to automatically update this timeline when left idle.

I know the team are working on a lot of things at the moment, but it would be nice to get a few of the little things finished off.  Especially things like this one that improve the user experience.

Keep asking folks, eventually we will be heard.....

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 03:49:00 pm »

I agree these are desperately needed, but I'd go one step further and not just want a clock on the screen but a vertical line down the guide indicating the current time so you can very easily see when programs are "In the past" and not select that one to try to watch.

Plus the guide would need to automatically update this timeline when left idle.

I know the team are working on a lot of things at the moment, but it would be nice to get a few of the little things finished off.  Especially things like this one that improve the user experience.

+1

Keep asking folks, eventually we will be heard.....

I sure hope we will be. It's time for TV to get some love!

Cheers,
Rod

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:40:37 am »

The good thing is these requests are not "hard" or even "new" ... it is more about them making it to the top of the list of things to do.
JRiver CEO Elect

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 09:34:05 am »

The good thing is these requests are not "hard" or even "new" ... it is more about them making it to the top of the list of things to do.

That's what is frustrating for many of us. They are such simple improvements that would have a large affect on usability. It just feels like TV has had a very low priority for a long time. So many newer things get to the top of the list and TV stays down low in the pile. It is certainly not a FIFO list!

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 10:04:49 am »

Ceton support was certainly a recent breakthrough for TV.

We're getting close to being back to a more normal development mode.  Thanks for your patience (if any is left).

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 10:11:02 am »

Ceton support was certainly a recent breakthrough for TV.

We're getting close to being back to a more normal development mode.  Thanks for your patience (if any is left).

Jim - Thanks for commenting in this thread and for acknowledging our frustration. Looking forward to a "more normal development mode", hopefully one that includes more TV improvements.

Rod

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 06:27:06 pm »

Maybe now Jim has commented this and the development team will add / improve the guide and general tv improvements that this thread is all about however a positive comment from Jim would be good maybe suggesting that a clock, guide improvements showing scheduled recording etc.......here's hoping from a uk supporter of JRiver.  :D

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 06:17:20 am »

+1  No doubt many others will petition for this if they come across this thread.

Presently I handle this issue by recording with WMC which is a breeze to set up recordings.  I then and play them back via JRiver to take advantage of madVR and the higher quality sound reproduction.
The Future is Remote!

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 08:47:33 am »

While we're at it, station logos?  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 04:59:11 pm »

A coming build will have some TV guide improvements, including a clock, record marks, and an improved file info panel for TV guide programs that's user customizable.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 02:06:43 am »

A coming build will have some TV guide improvements, including a clock, record marks, and an improved file info panel for TV guide programs that's user customizable.

Thanks Matt

The Future is Remote!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 09:28:37 am »

Thanks!

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 10:00:04 am »

Thanks a bunch Matt!!!

Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 10:03:27 am »

Just a little note that you'll need to reset your Theater View file info templates to take advantage of some of the changes.

It's here:
Options > Theater View > Customize file info panel... > Manage > Reset All Templates To Default

This is because there's a new template 'TV Guide' that gets used for the caption and fields to show and we don't have a nice way to merge in new defaults without possibly damaging a user's existing customization.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 10:31:46 am »

Does this   

9. Changed: Added expression functions TVInfo(Record) and TVInfo(RecordMark) to make displaying if a guide program will be recorded easier (used by Theater View guide).

mean that there will be a way to show a list of upcoming recordings in Theater View? Would be wonderful if that's the case!

Cheers,
Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 10:49:19 am »

mean that there will be a way to show a list of upcoming recordings in Theater View? Would be wonderful if that's the case!

Good idea.  I'll do this today.

You'll have to reset your views and templates for Theater View again after the change for it to take effect.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 11:33:55 am »

Next build:
NEW: Theater View television guide has a 'To Be Recorded' view (requires resetting Theater View views in Options > Theater View > Reset!...).
Changed: Added a 'Record' item that shows more detailed status about recording to the Theater View TV Guide file info template (requires a reset of File Info templates in Options > Theater View > Customize file info panel... > Manage > Reset All Templates To Default).

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 11:39:04 am »

Next build:
NEW: Theater View television guide has a 'To Be Recorded' view (requires resetting Theater View views in Options > Theater View > Reset!...).
Changed: Added a 'Record' item that shows more detailed status about recording to the Theater View TV Guide file info template (requires a reset of File Info templates in Options > Theater View > Customize file info panel... > Manage > Reset All Templates To Default).

Fantastic Matt! The user friendliness of MC as a PVR is going WAY UP with these additions. This will save many potential recording conflicts.

Cheers,
Rod

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 01:50:51 pm »

We have a red I'd on guide showing recorded tv.  Fantastic getting more like a decent pvr every day.  Thanks jriver

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 02:30:46 am »

Will it be possible to flag series linked record status?
The Future is Remote!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 11:05:37 am »

Will it be possible to flag series linked record status?

That would be great. Maybe something like two red dots in the time slot to indicate it is a series recording, and one red dot for a single (one-time) recording.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2013, 12:44:23 pm »

18.0.167 added a record item on the File Info panel will give more details about the recording status (part of subscription, one-off, part of a subscription but manually canceled, etc.).

You'll need the new build (out in a few days) and to reset your file info templates again to get it.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 01:18:07 pm »

18.0.167 added a record item on the File Info panel will give more details about the recording status (part of subscription, one-off, part of a subscription but manually canceled, etc.).

You'll need the new build (out in a few days) and to reset your file info templates again to get it.

Christmas has come early  ;D

Well it's in keeping with the snow in the UK  ;)
The Future is Remote!

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen

Guys

I cant seem to get the 'To be recorded' view. I have reset the theater view settings and templates...

and ideas??

Btw the red record dot works well maybe add 2 red dots for a series you have subsrcibed to

cheers

Jack Fate 318

• World Citizen

I would love to see station logos as well

It would help me descramble my incorrect guide

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

Guys

I cant seem to get the 'To be recorded' view. I have reset the theater view settings and templates...

and ideas??

Btw the red record dot works well maybe add 2 red dots for a series you have subsrcibed to

cheers

It's in Beta build .167 which should be released soon.

Cheers,
Rod

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen

This begs the question from a UK supporter of JRiver ............. How does one become a beta tester?

;D

regards

Dave

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

I have loaded 169 and reset the views. I was expecting to find a tab in the guide menu that would list subscriptions. Am I expecting too much or have I screwed up somewhere?

All I can see is the single original red dot showing a program set to record on Saturday and little else unless I 'enter' the program set for recording and then I can cancel etc ?

I also appear to have a bug in my guide.  When I try to view programs for the weekend, the time within the guide freezes on Friday morning even though the the program still scrolls.

The only way to view the program Guide for Saturday is to jump to Saturday Morning / Evening.
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I have loaded 169 and reset the views. I was expecting to find a tab in the guide menu that would list subscriptions. Am I expecting too much or have I screwed up somewhere?

It's called 'To Be Recorded' (under Video > Guide in Theater View).

To get all the changes, you'll need to reset views and file info templates.

Reset views:
Options > Theater View > Reset!...

Reset file info templates:
Options > Theater View > Customize file info panel... > Manage > Reset All Templates To Default

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

Thank Matt

I did not realise it was a two pass reset and missed:

Reset views:
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thank Matt

I did not realise it was a two pass reset and missed:

Reset views:

I'm sorry you have to reset views at all.

Since everything is fully user customizable, we just don't have a good way to push new defaults without this.

At times we've simply forced the new defaults on people, but as you might expect, this isn't a popular thing to do either.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

I'm sorry you have to reset views at all.

Since everything is fully user customizable, we just don't have a good way to push new defaults without this.

At times we've simply forced the new defaults on people, but as you might expect, this isn't a popular thing to do either.

Worked for me and for a very small sacrifice in my case.

Thanks again
The Future is Remote!

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

I am trying to use To Be Recorded un-nested from the TV guide as I find it a bit of a pain to get to.  Unfortunately as soon as I un-nest 'To Be Recorded' it no longer shows planned recordings when accessed from the main menu :'(

Can anyone advise why the data is not showing up?
The Future is Remote!

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen

For the program guide to act like a real guide when you exit to the guide the guide and cursor should be centered on program location in the guide that reflects the last channel/program played with any correction for current time. It is just silly that guide can be hundreds of channels away from what is or was just playing.

This drives me crazy.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks for your response even though I'm not entirely sure I understand it :)

Perhaps when Matt finds some free time he can fix it so that we can make 'To Be Recorded' a Main Menu item.

I am surprised that I am the only user perhaps aside from yourself that finds getting to and from the 'To Be Recorded' a pain. We use and need this functionality to be simply accessed, ultimately I would like to be able to call the 'To Be Recoded Menu' from a remote command.
The Future is Remote!

Samson

• Galactic Citizen

I'm sorry you have to reset views at all. Since everything is fully user customizable, we just don't have a good way to push new defaults without this.

Not sure I understand this but I didnt want to lose all my customized theatre views, so I simply manually added a library view "To be recorded" and entered a custom rule [=TVinfo(Record)]=[1].
This seemed to work fine but have I missed something?
(I backed up my library,reset theatre views, saw the "To Be Recorded" and copied its code.Then restored previous library and added new library/code)

I am trying to use To Be Recorded un-nested from the TV guide as I find it a bit of a pain to get to.  Unfortunately as soon as I un-nest 'To Be Recorded' it no longer shows planned recordings when accessed from the main menu :'(

Doing what I did above I was able to move "To be recorded" under a completely different sub-heading. It now sits under my custom sub-heading of "TV recordings" where it is alongside "Recently Recorded" (aka "recent" in default view" for guide) [EDIT]...next time I looked the list was empty! So moved it back nested under "Guide" and all good.Tried additionally adding rules for the parent folder "guide" to the "To be recorded" but still didnt work when un-nested from "Guide".

RE the series record indicator my vote is for a red S alongside show

Kudos to the team for some much needed detail to TV and PVR functionality.The Music functionality was always awesome.These changes to the TV/PVR as well as ability to custom add a "Live TV" button  to both theatre view and to program a button on remote control for this (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70386.msg496259#msg496259), and "TV Channel list" in theatre view (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69505.msg468211#msg468211) are now coming together nicely!

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen

I think your post is agreeing with gtgray and myself but if I have miss interpreted your post please advise as I really would like to get the 'To Be Recorded' menu item available for easy access.
The Future is Remote!

imugli

• MC Beta Team

I have set the Pause Playback when entering Theater View option to no, and when I go back to the guide and hover on the channel I'm watching I get the video in the bottom right corner. Would it be possible to make it so that video displays no matter what channel I'm hovering over in the guide?

imugli

• MC Beta Team

Also, would it be possible to get the option to sort the guide by Channel Number instead of alphabetically?

imugli

• MC Beta Team

And while I'm at it, could we get the LiveTV function to start playback on the last played channel, as opposed to the first channel?

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen

And while I'm at it, could we get the LiveTV function to start playback on the last played channel, as opposed to the first channel?

If the guide used the last played channel as the current location you would get this... this is just another example of why they need to run WMC for TV for a while to see how a proper Program Guide works and is navigated.    Why do you close a program and have the guide be pointed at where it was hours and channels ago.

The Ceton is working well, ATSC is working well. I spent the evening with MC on my big screen and I really looking to migrate completely, but navigation of TV programming is simply painful. I would still argue for that 3 seconds of mute and black screen during program changes. I hate the several seconds of stuttering audio video during some channel changes. No doubt that some changes happen really quickly now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up