INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where are all the MC Files Located?  (Read 3582 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Where are all the MC Files Located?
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:02:36 pm »

Can JRiver provide a complete list of all the file locations for all the parts and pieces of MC on the Mac?

Background: I created a bit of a mess by moving all my music to a different directory. MC did not handle that well so I decided to do a complete uninstall and start over. I use an uninstall utility that is supposed to find all the related files, but it could not find most of the MC files.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
Re: Where are all the MC Files Located?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:44:14 pm »

In my research, there should only be the MC app itself and the support files in:
~/Library/Application Support/J River

plus a prefs file at:
~/Library/Preferences/JRiver.Media-Center-18.plist

Any others that folks know about?
brad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:18:28 pm »

In my research, there should only be the MC app itself and the support files in:
~/Library/Application Support/J River

plus a prefs file at:
~/Library/Preferences/JRiver.Media-Center-18.plist

Any others that folks know about?
brad

That's all I found.

The prefs file might even be old and not used by current builds.  I deleted mine and it hasn't returned.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:00:59 am »

This is what I've found so far. I think a couple of these are hidden as I can not see them in the Finder but I can find them with an uninstall utility. I will try to find a utility that shows me hidden files on a Mac.

/Applications/Media Center 18.app (File)
/Applications/Media Center 18.app/Contents (Folder)
/Users/XXXX/Library/Preferences/JRiver.Media-Center-18.plist (Hidden File?)
/Users/XXXX/Library/Saved Application State/JRiver.Media-Center-18.savedState (Hidden Folder?)
/Users/XXXX/Music/JRiver Conversion Cache\ (Folder)
/users/XXXX/Documents/JRiver (Folder)
/Users/XXXX/Library/Application Support/JRiver/Media Center 18/Library (Folder)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:07:48 pm »

This is what I've found so far. I think a couple of these are hidden as I can not see them in the Finder but I can find them with an uninstall utility. I will try to find a utility that shows me hidden files on a Mac.

/Users/XXXX/Library/Preferences/JRiver.Media-Center-18.plist (Hidden File?)
/Users/XXXX/Library/Saved Application State/JRiver.Media-Center-18.savedState (Hidden Folder?)
/Users/XXXX/Music/JRiver Conversion Cache\ (Folder)
/users/XXXX/Documents/JRiver (Folder)
/Users/XXXX/Library/Application Support/JRiver/Media Center 18/Library (Folder)

Ahh, yes.  I didn't remember the stuff in Documents (and the Cache folder if you have that enabled).  You can leave those there, though.  That's just media files and Library Backups.

Also, don't mess with the SavedState files directly.  OSX creates those itself (it is an OS function, not an application function) and handles them.  If you ever need to clear the Saved State for a specific app, you can follow these instructions, but generally, ignore them.  I'm pretty sure MC does NOT use the built-in Saved State system, though, so it whether the file exists or not won't have any effect on MC (and the OS will just make another one the next time you run it).  And, lastly, just so you know... This:

These aren't separate "things".  On OSX, Applications are a special filesystem concept called "bundles" (or packages) that Windows doesn't have, but they are essentially special folders.  All Applications (and other stuff too, like pkg files), are these bundles.  You can right click on them and pick "show package contents" to access the inside of the folder.  However, if you check them out on the shell (in Terminal), you'll see that as far as the underpinning UNIX system is concerned, the "files" called X.app are just plain old folders.  The Finder shows them as "files" and allows you to do an Open command on them to execute the application it contains, but they are folders.

That's what the application is.  Sometimes opening them up and looking at their contents is handy.  You can customize some applications this way (things like icons, artwork, and whatnot), and you can often find handy stuff.  That's how, for example, you can get the real OS installation DMG (to save or make a bootable USB install/recovery disk) when you buy Mountain Lion from the App Store.  Likewise, it is handy with Parallels and VMWare Fusion to grab a copy of the VMWare/Parallels Tools DMG files (essential for making a "hackintosh" VMWare install of Mountain Lion on VMWare Workstation on Windows).  Junk like that is hidden in there (application resources), but usually opening them up is fairly useless unless you intend to hack around with (or attack in some way) a particular application.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:40:11 am »

Hi glynor,

Thanks for the explanations. It is very helpful as I relearn everything I ever knew about a PC on a Mac.

Randy

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 04:24:56 pm »

I can't find my library folder using Finder. I'm looking for:
/Users/XXXX/Library/Application Support/JRiver/Media Center 18/Library

This is the directory listed in the MC Library manager. Am I looking in the right place?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 06:36:02 pm »

Apple hides the /Users/xxx/Library folder by default. The simplest way to reveal it is to be in the Finder, hold down the Option/Alt key, and click on the "Go" menu in the menu bar. The "Go" menu should allow you to select your user's Library folder.

There are ways to permanently reveal the Library folder in the Finder, but my memory is failing me right now. I'm sure it's a command used at the command line (Terminal).

Hope that helps a bit...
brad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 08:16:27 pm »

Right.

If you want to show the Library folders permanently, you can use these tips:
http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/productivity/how-to-reveal-your-library-folder-in-lion-or-mountain-lion/

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 12:17:16 pm »

Thanks Brad and glynor :)

I'm slowly becoming a Mac expert...
Pages: [1]   Go Up