INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: force hdmi audio without a monitor  (Read 3331 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
force hdmi audio without a monitor
« on: March 29, 2013, 10:05:39 pm »

I just got a yamaha rx-v773. Really liking it so far. This isn't hooked to my TV/htpc as I already have a receiver on there. This is hooked to my main PC. I'm using hdmi from my nvidia card to the receiver, then receiver to my LCD. I'm using the hdmi as my default sound device in windows and this works great for the most part, sounds amazing. The one thing I'm having an issue with is when my monitor goes to sleep windows seems to disable the hdmi sound device. So if the monitor goes to sleep I no longer get any sound, no email notification, no music or anything, until I move the mouse and wake it up. Is there a way to force windows to keep the hdmi output active even if it doesn't see the monitor? maybe a way in software to trick windows into thinking the monitor is still there?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: force hdmi audio without a monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:53:25 am »

I just got a yamaha rx-v773. Really liking it so far. This isn't hooked to my TV/htpc as I already have a receiver on there. This is hooked to my main PC. I'm using hdmi from my nvidia card to the receiver, then receiver to my LCD. I'm using the hdmi as my default sound device in windows and this works great for the most part, sounds amazing. The one thing I'm having an issue with is when my monitor goes to sleep windows seems to disable the hdmi sound device. So if the monitor goes to sleep I no longer get any sound, no email notification, no music or anything, until I move the mouse and wake it up. Is there a way to force windows to keep the hdmi output active even if it doesn't see the monitor? maybe a way in software to trick windows into thinking the monitor is still there?

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but there's a "disable display from turning off" check box under audio options.  That's what I've used when I wanted an uninterrupted HDMI stream.

justsomeguy

Re: force hdmi audio without a monitor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:25:52 pm »

Thanks for the reply but that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I know about the option in MC to keep the monitor on if using HDMI. What I'm hoping for is a way to keep the HDMI audio enabled even if the monitor is off or goes to sleep even outside of MC. I kind of thought the receiver since it is on and plugged directly into the videocard that it would appear to windows that something was still active on the port. I'm not exactly sure how things like VNC work that sometimes use a driver to emulate a video device but there must be a way to make windows think there is a display device hooked to a port. Possibly a way to pass a fake EDID so windows thinks something is there.

I guess I could disable windows from turning the monitor off but this computer computer stays on almost all the time and I'd like the monitor to go off when not actively used to save some power. I guess there probably is no way to keep the audio enabled while disabling the video on HDMI. For now I've switched to using optical for my audio connection and switched on dolby digital live.
Pages: [1]   Go Up