INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions on disc numbering for multi-disc albums & disc totals per view  (Read 2809 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

So far, I have ripped just over 60 albums (using dBpoweramp). Several of these were multi-disc albums, where dBpoweramp displays the disc number in a format like 1/3, as provided by all four of their online metadata providers. I have only just noticed that this n/n format is not preserved by either MC18 or MP3Tag, both of which simply quote the individual disc number for the tag they call 'Disc #' and 'Disc Number', respectively.

While you could argue that the number of discs in the original album has less relevance once all the tracks have been ripped, I would still like to preserve a link to the original media by having a disc number tag in the format n/n, a custom tag I will call OrigDisc (there is probably a better name for such a tag, but I can't think of one right now). I guess I could start by creating another custom tag in MC18 called DiscTotal and use this as the basis for calculating the value of my OrigDisc tag as an assembly of Disc# + '/' + DiscTotal.

Does anyone have a better idea for creating a disc numbering tag in a n/n format?

Incidentally, MP3Tag already has a tag called 'DiscTotal', though where this data comes from I don't know. It does not appear in either dBpoweramp or MC18 and I assume it is not saved in my FLAC files.

As a related question, I would also like to know if there is a neat way of displaying the total number of discs in a view (and I do mean the disc total, not the album total).

David

• Citizen of the Universe

I agree, I prefer to use the 1/3 format for discs if it's a multi-disc album as well.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.

You can use a technique as described in the Statistics thread, which evaluates the dumber of discs that comprise an album to populate a field (or expression pane or file list column).

In this example, we'll just use the largest disc # to determine the number of discs (this method will ignore holes in the sequence).

First, create a panes view, and set rules for file display to :

[=save(0,v_discs_[album artist (auto)]_[album])1]=1 [=save(math(max(max(0[disc #],1),load(v_discs_[album artist (auto)]_[album]))), v_discs_[album artist (auto)]_[album])1]=1

Next, create a Number of Discs expression column in the view:

load(v_discs_[album artist (auto)]_[album])

See the attached screenshots.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

Wow. That's a much more sophisticated response than I was expecting. It comes as some relief that I appear not to have missed some blindingly obvious solution.

I am in awe of your MC technical skills, MrC - and very grateful, as always, for your kind assistance.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up