INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally: one affordable device that does gapless over UPnP  (Read 8607 times)

doulos

• World Citizen
Finally: one affordable device that does gapless over UPnP
« on: April 09, 2013, 03:06:16 am »

Hello all,

not directly JRiver related, but I thought I'd let you know anyway, as it touches the ever-recurring subject of gapless playback.

In a previous post, I complained about DENON devices which advertise gapless playback capability, but in reality only support it when controlled via IR remote (not when controlled via remote App). A few days ago, I recieved a firmware update for my DENON DNP-F109 network player (not sure if this is marketed in the US). I quickly fired up the generic UPnP control point to look at the supported AVTransport actions (we all know that  gapless via UPnP can only be achieved if the device supports the SetNextAVTransportURI action) - and there it was!! SetNextAVTransportURI in all its beauty! A quick test with DENONs own controller app and a live album showed it indeed works!

It turned out that the new firmware also resulted in broken XML being sent from the device (non-escaped embedded XML in LastChange events), but that one was quickly circumvented. It also turned out that the device insists on getting the SetNextAVTransportURI after the initial Play (so the sequence has to be SetAVTransportURI->Play->SetNextAVTransportURI). But now (with the upcoming version) my MediaSteersman UPnP control point app can also deliver gapless playback with the DENON device.

This is the first affordable HiFi device I have encountered that really does gapless over UPnP. Perfect.

regards,
chris
MediaSteersman - Your Media at Your Fingertips

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Finally: one affordable device that does gapless over UPnP
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:43:54 am »

Good news.  Thanks for posting that.

csimon

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:21:37 am »

But presumably it can't seek on FLAC files!  (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78074.0).

Could you confirm if your DNP-F109 has that problem?

sskings

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:25:58 pm »

Fantastic.

So.....

This means they should be able to incorporate these uPNP instructions into the firmware of other recent networkable devices too, Correct?  Here's hoping they do so.  Me and my AVR-2112 certainly are !!

doulos

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 03:51:56 am »

well, I guess you'll have to figure that one out with DENON themselves. I am quite confident that all devices that explicitly advertise gapless playback will get it (like the CEOL product line). At some point this may even spill over to Marantz devices, as they are high-end and manufactured under the same organizational roof (D&M Holdings).

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:58 pm »

It turned out that the new firmware also resulted in broken XML being sent from the device (non-escaped embedded XML in LastChange events), but that one was quickly circumvented. It also turned out that the device insists on getting the SetNextAVTransportURI after the initial Play (so the sequence has to be SetAVTransportURI->Play->SetNextAVTransportURI). But now (with the upcoming version) my MediaSteersman UPnP control point app can also deliver gapless playback with the DENON device.
That order of play/play next logic is what MC does as a controller so that means a push directly from MC should work gaplessly as well.

ebr9999

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 12:25:08 pm »

I tend not to trust so much device manufacturers when networking with other device brands is needed.
Hence this piece of news is definitely positive  :).
A couple of question:
  • about DENON DNP-F109: is it also gapless when it is both server and media renderer?
  • What is your configuration (mainly what is the used media server)

doulos

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 02:04:34 pm »

about DENON DNP-F109: is it also gapless when it is both server and media renderer?

the DNP-F109 is a renderer only, it cannot be used as a server

What is your configuration (mainly what is the used media server)

I use MC as media server, or AssetUPnP, or ReadyDLNA from my ReadyNAS

ebr9999

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 02:51:00 pm »

the DNP-F109 is a renderer only, it cannot be used as a server
Only for my understanding: Hence no way to play music from PC network share only (i.e. without installing a media server)?

musicmax

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 11:20:59 am »

The DNP-F109 has only coax and stereo analog outputs, meaning it cannot accept hires multi-channel.  Has Denon updated any of its hires multi-channel devices to implement SetNextAVTransportURI and thus gapless rendering?
Pages: [1]   Go Up