INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Studio>Output Format Problem>2.1 channels not working  (Read 1556 times)

crafty

• Recent member
DSP Studio>Output Format Problem>2.1 channels not working
« on: April 14, 2013, 09:21:12 am »

Hi All,

Currently using 18.0.158 and continually impressed by the programme - simply awesome with blu ray support, HD playback, convolution etc

Having issues with the DSP Studio>Output format. If I try and select 2.1 output channels the audio path window shows 2 channels being converted to 6 channels when I have not requested this and also outputting 6 channels. Other channel selections seem to work correctly. Any ideas? Have tried clean install etc.

Thanks,

Luke

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: DSP Studio>Output Format Problem>2.1 channels not working
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:12:33 pm »

The 2.1 output setting always outputs six channels, but the last three of them are silence.  To be clear, if you have JRSS enabled, the audio stream is correctly upmixed or downmixed to 2.1, those three channels are just wrapped in a six channel package.

I'm not exactly sure why that's the case, but it's not a bug, it's functioning as intended.

crafty

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 02:03:13 pm »

Thanks for the info; good to know its working as intended

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:55:55 am »

I'm not exactly sure why that's the case, but it's not a bug, it's functioning as intended.
All multi-channel devices (receiver, Blu-ray player, JRiver, etc.) use a standard format for playback of multi-channel content. They playback/accept content generally in 2, 6, or 8 channels. The LFE or subwoofer is always on channel 4. In order for 2.1 playback to send the subwoofer out on channel four, it has to be sent out, at a minimum, in a 6 channel matrix with channels 3, 5, and 6 silent.

If one was to send just 3 channels to a receiver, then the subwoofer signal would end up coming out of the center speaker since that is always on channel 3. Even if you aren't using a receiver but going directly to amps, you would manually have to change your cabling every time you switched from 2.1, 5.1 or 7.1. By always keeping the same channel order for output you don't have to change cabling when switching formats.

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:26:13 pm »

Hi,

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 (6 outs) souncard, and tried 2.1 channel in MC's Output.
So the sub channel is sent to the Output 4 of the Scarlett. Is this correct?
Antonio
Nuc > Cambridge Audio Cxn Streamer > Cambridge 851e Pré
Parasound A21 Amp > Nordost Cable > Kef R300 Speaker
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:32:39 pm »

Hi,

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 (6 outs) souncard, and tried 2.1 channel in MC's Output.
So the sub channel is sent to the Output 4 of the Scarlett. Is this correct?
Antonio

Yes.

5.1 uses this standard order: L, R, C, SW, SL, SR

You can do custom channel ordering using DSP Studio > Parametric Equalizer > Order channels.  If you use Room Correction or other DSP, be sure to order the channels last.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:40:43 pm »

Thank you Matt,

So I do not have to worry about using Scarlett's own Mixer. MC does it automatcally!

Antonio
Nuc > Cambridge Audio Cxn Streamer > Cambridge 851e Pré
Parasound A21 Amp > Nordost Cable > Kef R300 Speaker
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)
Pages: [1]   Go Up