INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 32 bit package to 24bit hardware  (Read 10464 times)

ninja

32 bit package to 24bit hardware
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:36:03 pm »

I purchased the Audioengine A2/D1/S8, to use as a computer Audio system

I am using JRiver Media Centre 18.0.171 this is the latest version as of
a few days ago.

So I set everything up(and I understand all aspects of the PC set up),

and I configured JRiver Media Centre 18 to output a 24 Bit /192 Khz
recording I have

and there was this loud distorted noise,I then experimented and nothing
would play at24Bit/192Khz.

This caused me quiet a lot of frustration,with questions

like is the D1 faulty,is the PC the Problem/is it the software (Media Centre 18).

Then while researching the internet to try and find if others had

experienced anything like this,and I could find nothing.

I then noticed a comment on a forum a comment

"Some 24Bit hardware requires a 32bit package to work correctly

So I thought How  would I do that,send the  24Bit/192Khz file to the D1
as a 32bit package

Fortunately the Beautifully executed JRiver Media Centre ,had a setting
under

tool/options/audio/output mode settings .

And the box "Present 24-bit Data in a 32-bit package (required by some
hardware) needs to be checked

When I did this everything worked perfectly, The settings I used were as
follows and an absolutely a stunning result with the Audioengine setup

In JRiver Media Centre 18, I set

Realtek optical from my PC, and used  Wasapi event mode

In the DSP Studio settings of JRiver Media Centre 18

I set to output all, at 24bit / 192Khz (not just because it is a bigger

number/just because it sounds better to me) I have read all the comments and facts about why

192Khz / 24bit is unnecessary,and feel I have to go with what I hear.

Right or wrong/it is all about perception

I apologize for taking so long to get to my main question

Please explain this JRiver setting,why do I need to send 24bit in a 32bit package to the Audioengine D1 (Dac)

Thank you Wayne

P.s if you would like to create from any of your files in a 192Khz/24bit - DVD A  or  WAV /Flac etc

try the brilliant  -   Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra v4.3  - other outputs are also possible although

file size is increased/you can create and burn Bluray audio, or as I mentioned DVD-A to disc / and any of the other formats

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: 32 bit package to 24bit hardware
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:41:41 pm »

Glad you got it working.

Different hardware has different requirements, and with WDM drivers, they don't report those requirements in a way we can know without a user telling us.  This is one advantage to ASIO over WDM (but it only works with some hardware).

For your case, you might get theoretically even better quality (theoretical because 24-bit is already more than a DAC can really use) by using:
DSP Studio > Output Format > Bitdepth > 32-bit [not the floating point one]

Now that we have a 32-bit integer mode (v17 and earlier could only do 32-bit float, not integer), we could probably just remove the 'Present 24-bit in a 32-bit package' option you're using in favor of the method I mentioned above.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ninja

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 05:23:52 pm »

Thanks Matt

for a very informative answer,the quick reply is very appreciated

Cheers Wayne

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:09:11 pm »

For your case, you might get theoretically even better quality (theoretical because 24-bit is already more than a DAC can really use) by using:
DSP Studio > Output Format > Bitdepth > 32-bit [not the floating point one]

Now that we have a 32-bit integer mode (v17 and earlier could only do 32-bit float, not integer), we could probably just remove the 'Present 24-bit in a 32-bit package' option you're using in favor of the method I mentioned above.

For what it's worth, I have just tried this and it doesn't work on my hardware. (HDMI from my GTX570 to a Sony TV)
HDMI requires 24-bit to be in a 32-bit container, but if I send it a 32-bit signal playback fails.

Similarly, I asked this a while back, but didn't get an answer: In other media players, I am required to use the "24-bit in a 32-bit package" option or WASAPI Exclusive fails - in Media Center, it works whether I have the option enabled or not.
Do you know why this happens?

There also doesn't seem to be an option for dithering with a 32-bit output.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:54:05 pm »

For what it's worth, I have just tried this and it doesn't work on my hardware. (HDMI from my GTX570 to a Sony TV)
HDMI requires 24-bit to be in a 32-bit container, but if I send it a 32-bit signal playback fails.

Thanks for testing.  So I guess my theory above doesn't hold true and the option is still important.

Similarly, I asked this a while back, but didn't get an answer: In other media players, I am required to use the "24-bit in a 32-bit package" option or WASAPI Exclusive fails - in Media Center, it works whether I have the option enabled or not.
Do you know why this happens?

When possible we try to detect this error condition automatically open the device with a method that works.  There are still some devices where you must force it, although I'm not certain why (I suppose because it accepts the first input method but then doesn't work instead of failing as expected so we try the second method).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:57 pm »

Thanks for testing.  So I guess my theory above doesn't hold true and the option is still important.
It's a shame that these things are so needlessly complicated. Why not just accept plain 24-bit in the first place, for example?

When possible we try to detect this error condition automatically open the device with a method that works.  There are still some devices where you must force it, although I'm not certain why (I suppose because it accepts the first input method but then doesn't work instead of failing as expected so we try the second method).
Ah, I suspected this was probably the case, but it does fail with an error when trying to send other formats it doesn't like. (such as 32-bit) Good to know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up