INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 will not run with Windows 8 [Solved]  (Read 4175 times)

mcourt47

• Recent member
MC 18 will not run with Windows 8 [Solved]
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:55:28 am »

I have installed MC18 on a new computer that has the Windows 8 operating system. MC18 operated perfectly for about 24 hours then crashed. It annunciated "Media center was installed for a different operating system. Please reinstall." I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times; now MC18 will not run and gives me the same annunciation every time: "...installed for a different operating system...". Uninstalling and reinstalling is not clearing the problem. This computer is new and has never had any other operating system installed on it. I need help, Please? Other audio applications operate correctly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 18 will not run with Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:23:03 pm »

Install again, and make sure no compatibility modes are being used for the installer or main program.

Right-click the shortcuts to check this.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mcourt47

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:14 pm »

Thanks, but I have tried many times to uninstall and reinstall MC18. No compatibility modes; no other operating systems; just Win 8 on a new computer. Every time after I finish the re-installation, I get the same error message: "... installed for a different operating system. Please reinstall MC18. At this point I am at a loss as to what else to try.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »

A lot of our users run Windows 8, myself included.

That error means the OS reported to the installer doesn't match the OS reported to the program.  Only some compatibility layer or security program could cause this.

You can regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JRiver\Media Core\Installations\Media Center 18\OS Version to 0xb (11 in decimal).  However, it would be better to figure out what is getting in the middle and causing trouble.

mcourt47

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 09:27:17 am »

Thanks! At least now I know what to look for. Since my last post this new computer has exhibited some other anomalous behavior. Intermittently, I'm unable to log onto email from the new computer; when I try, I get a message that I have changed my password x-number of days ago. I can log on to the same accounts with the same passwords from several other computers. Also, about one out of five times that I boot the new computer, it starts the boot sequence but hangs when it finishes displaying the manufacturer's splash screen. When that happens, I have discovered that it will boot the next time IF I unplug a 3 terabyte, USB-3 external hard drive. That USB drive has the backup copy of my music library and was previously the backup drive for the Win 7 OS computer that I replaced with the Win 8 OS computer. I copied the music library onto the new computer's C-drive from the USB drive. This drive is connected to the computer through a USB-3 port. Could something on the drive from which I copied the music library built by MC17 on a Win 7 computer connected through a USB-2 port be what is causing the incorrect OS error I am getting?

I'm beginning to suspect that I may have a hardware-related issue. The computer is--of course--under warranty but the tech support people say that it is a software issue and not a hardware issue. I hope I can solve the issue without having to return the new computer; at this point, I think it is clear that the root cause of the problem lies somewhere other than with MC18. Anyway, thanks for your help and I will appreciate any additional suggestions regarding the issue. At least I won't be bored this weekend! ? :)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 08:28:12 pm »

How are you launching MC? Could it be that a shortcut is pointing to an installation of MC that resides on the external drive? That might try to launch MC, but then rightly tell you that it's installed on another OS.

mcourt47

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:55:51 pm »

No, the only thing on the external drive is the music library, but that was a good thought. No applications on the external drive: just data files (to the best of my knowledge). Tech support from the computer manufacturer ran a remote diagnostic on the computer and found no issues. I spent about an hour with them trying to work it out to no avail.

The shortcut appears to be completely normal--the shortcut target is  "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Media Center 18.exe" as it should be and no compatibility mode is selected.

If I can't find and correct whatever is causing the conflict, I'm going to restore the computer to its initial state before I had installed anything and try to reinstall MC18 as the first installed application. That will take hours and hours to do, so I am saving that as the last resort for tomorrow afternoon, but MC18 is a priority so I'll do it if I have to. Thanks for the suggestion.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:47:55 pm »

What value do you see in regedit at the location I listed above?

What happens if you change it to the value I suggested?

Thanks.

mcourt47

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 04:08:20 pm »

Sorry, I just realized that I did not reply to your message. The value was "OS VERSION REG_DWORD  0x0000000b (11)."

Since my last post, I gave up and used the recovery drive to restore the computer to its initial state. I then reinstalled MC18 as the first software installed on this computer. MC18 is now functioning normally (thank goodness). I have found, however, that there is some kind of problem with the USB external drive that I used to copy the music library to the new computer's C drive. It is a 3-terabyte drive with a USB three interface. If that drive is connected to the computer during the boot cycle, it hangs at the end of the splash screen and will NOT finish the boot sequence. If I unplug this drive and re-boot then everything is normal. After the computer is running I can connect the same drive and read it normally. If I then shut down the computer and reboot, it will again hang at the same point in the boot cycle. Whatever is going on with the external drive must have had something to do with the problem I had installing MC18. Obviously, the problem was not with MC.

I rechecked the USB drive and there is nothing on the drive except the music library. The first time I installed MC18, it ran normally for some time, but crashed fairly soon after I copied the library to the new computer. I used copy and paste to load move a copy of the library to the new computer. I then used the "import single folder" to import the music library that was created with MC17 into MC18. After that was when the problem started. Does any of this suggest what the problem might have been?  At least everything is okay now. Thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 09:44:22 pm »

Perhaps check your BIOS for boot preference? Could it be that it's trying to boot from the USB 3 drive when it's connected?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:38 am »

Perhaps check your BIOS for boot preference? Could it be that it's trying to boot from the USB 3 drive when it's connected?

This.

mcourt47

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:36:16 am »

Boot sequence is set to 1st, hard drive; 2nd, optical drive; 3rd, external drive; 4th, network.

I tried again this morning and still can't boot with the USB-3 external drive connected; it can be connected after booting and then operates normally and can then be read from and written to normally???

Four USB-2 external drives are connected and everything is normal regarding booting and reading/writing to/from those drives. MC18 is running perfectly!!!  At this point I'm more curious than concerned, but I would really like to figure out what is happening. Thanks!

Quixote

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: MC 18 will not run with Windows 8 [Solved]
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:51 am »

USB 3.0 drivers might be the culprit:

I had the exact same symptoms when I originally got my laptop, albeit in Windows 7.  I couldn't have any USB-3 devices plugged in on boot.  About 3 weeks later, the manufacturer released updated drivers and that fixed it.  Have you checked that yet?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 10:57:11 am »

USB 3.0 drivers might be the culprit:

I had the exact same symptoms when I originally got my laptop, albeit in Windows 7.  I couldn't have any USB-3 devices plugged in on boot.  About 3 weeks later, the manufacturer released updated drivers and that fixed it.  Have you checked that yet?

That.

mcourt47

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 08:06:21 am »

Yes!! New drivers fixed the problem. Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up