INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to get J River to display the albums like windows  (Read 12207 times)

nothing1

how to get J River to display the albums like windows
« on: April 27, 2013, 04:03:48 am »

as the title says i want to have the albums (cover art in J River) diplayed by the name of the folder they are in not by any tag info J River is insisting on either putting albums that have the same name but different folders into one album within j river or splitting into individual artists so that one album is split into many, it is doing my head in that such a simple thing is so hard to figure out. These are the music folders i have
1)HIGH RES SACD
2)HIGH RES VINYL FILES
3)SORTED FLAC FILES
now each one of these folders contains albums in folders named Artist - Album, some of the root folders contain multiple albums that are the same, for example i have 3 vinyl rips of Pink Floyd - The Division Bell named as

1)Pink Floyd - The Division Bell(Blue Vinyl)[24bit96khz][VINYL](pbthal)
2)Pink Floyd - The Division Bell[24bit96khz][VINYL](pbthal)
3)Pink Floyd - The Division Bell[24bit192khz][VINYL](Oleg-Leshiy)(Korea)

now J River insists on putting the into one folder/cover art (within J river) because they all have the same album name within there tag info so that when i pess "play" it plays 3 of every track. The question i have is it possible to have J River display the albums as they are in windows, sorted by each albums folders name and not by tag information, i have tried just about every option of sorting the albums via the "Sort by" - "custom" and the regular options, i cant believe that with so many options of sorting the albums that sorting via the albums folder name is not included. If i am wrong can someone please explaine how to do this.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: how to get J River to display the albums like windows
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 04:30:04 am »

Try the "Disk Location" view.  If not visible you may need to add it --> right click on "Audio" --> Add Library View and Select the Disk Location template
JRiver CEO Elect

nothing1

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 04:55:23 am »

this might work but it is not the type of view that i want as i like how the albums are displayed in windows(similar to how J River does it, as it makes finding and selecting an album easy) now with the view you have suggested i may have to scroll down 1000 albums or more to get the one i wanted. Surely what i want is possible.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:11:18 am »

Try this:
Customise view > Set as "Category" > click "Add" (after removing any other if necessary) > Select "Expression" > Set as shown > OK your way out.

If you like the thumbnail text, set that as:
[name]
[track #] Tracks - Duration: [duration]

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

-marko

nothing1

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 06:59:46 am »

I tried what you suggested but that did not work and all because J River MUST use the files tag info.I have come to the conclusion that this is not possible and that is because J River uses the tag info to sort the files so i would have to individually differentiate each album within its tag and even that would not work for albums with various artists because if i changed the tag info for "artist" to various then all of the various will end up in one thumbnail. I will try explaining what i mean again

every music file i have IS correctly tagged i have been very fastidious in this regard, i use the files view as it is as close to what i want  but it does the things explained above, if i select "Audio" then every album from every folder is shown with the same problems plus i dont know if the album is a high res vinyl or a standard flac album, if i select "Albums" then i get exactly the same result, if i select "Artist" then it just bunches all the albums together, i if i click Pink Floyd then it plays every one, if within files i select the "high res vinyl" folder the it only shows the albums within(GOOD) but it groups things and separates things because of the tag info at the side where it has the file tree all is as it should be except at the center where all the album covers are i have come to the conclusion that such a simple thing has been over looked the program is so darn insistent on "organizing" my music when it is all ready organised, it is constantly organising the music files by there tags if J River included the option for a folder view it would solve this. My music doesn't need to be organised it already is PERFECTLY. I really want the album thumbnails as it makes selecting albums alot easier(or it should) i just don't need my files organised for me

P.S i don't want to edit the tag info just to make it "work" for J River

P.P.S I really like this program and it is not the only program that has this idiosyncrasy and although it is only a reasonably small thing it (for me) is very annoying i would ask that the feature that i require could be made available in a future release as i am sure that i would not be the only one who finds this frustrating

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 07:15:15 am »

Is there any possibility you could post a screenshot of the view you are working with?

"filefolder" as a category does exactly as you ask, and returns the name of the folder containing the files. If you have folders named "Album This", "Album That" and "Album The Other" and all the files within those three folders are tagged "Album", filefolder() will show three different albums' thumbnails.

I'm sure that what you want is possible, it's just that there are many ways to achieve your goal, with the best route depending on your primary view requirements. You have been offered two solutions thus far, both wide of the mark. If we were able to better target your needs, you may get more useful help rather than us keep shooting in the dark hoping to hit the sweet spot for you. If a screenshot is not possible, which of the default MC views do you wish would use the folder name rather than the album tag?

-marko

nothing1

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 08:57:37 am »

ok thanks for all the help here are some screen shots using different views, i really need all of my music to remain in its own group folder ie

1)HIGH RES SACD
2)HIGH RES VINYL FILES
3)SORTED FLAC FILES

as if they get put into 1 group i will not know if it is high res or sacd and so on.

Screen shot 1 is as close as i can get it but it is doing what i have explained, screen 2 is what happens if i select "files" screen 3 shows what happens if i select "Albums" screen 4 shows what i have to do to get it near what i want and screen 5 shows how i would like it to look(but without the folder obviously) when i select  HIGH RES VINYL FILES in the files tree view in J River and obviously the same effect for the other 2 main music folders

screen 1
screen 2
screen 3
screen 4
screen 5

i hope i have done that correctly

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 01:37:22 pm »

MC's views use metadata (essentially always; there can be exceptions) for fast presentation.  But this metadata comes from file tags, the file system, and other calculations.  So your assumption about file tags-only is incorrect.

The stock views use basic tags such as Album, Artist, Album Artist, Date, etc.  If these do not separate or group your files/albums the way you want (and you don't want to change tags), then you have to create custom views that allow you to manipulate the data you do have at hand, to present the albums the way you want.

screen 1 works essentially for you, because it is a view that uses the file system path metadata as the basis for grouping.

screen 3 looks like you have defined the view as a File List and have the List Style set to Thumbnails instead of Album Thumbnails.  So check the tab's pull-down under List Style.

You can create your own Albums view using the FileFolder() function as marko indicated.  If this isn't doing what you expect, show a screenshot of your view definition (Customize View).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 01:32:36 pm »

A discussion about underlying assumptions in sorting albums is in the following thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78390.0

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:18:37 pm »

1)HIGH RES SACD
2)HIGH RES VINYL FILES
3)SORTED FLAC FILES

as if they get put into 1 group i will not know if it is high res or sacd and so on.

Although not addressing the goal of group folders I wondered whether this was the primary goal or just to organise Hi Rez files into some sort of order.

For instance I have a Hi rez view sorted by bit depth and sample rate.

Or, maybe using an expression to batch remane desired albums with a suffix "high rez vinyl files" etc and then creating a custom view to filter those files. If not wanting to "corrupt' the album tag with a suffix, maybe 'sacrifice' another field you will never use or perhaps create a custom tag . Custom field tags > Add New Field button in the Tools > Options > Libraries & Folders > Manage Library Fields... dialog. Has anyone done a tutorial on how to use this,giving examples and so fourth ??

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 02:21:03 am »

ok thanks for all the help here are some screen shots using different views, i really need all of my music to remain in its own group folder ie

1)HIGH RES SACD
2)HIGH RES VINYL FILES
3)SORTED FLAC FILES

It should be really easy to set up library views for this. What I currently have is a "High Resolution" view which only contains files with a sample rate greater than 44100Hz.

I then have sub-views that split out DSF/DFF files (SACD) and high res files that are not DSF/DFF.
I also use keywords to tag the source, whether that's SACD, HDtracks, Vinyl, etc.

But if you already have them split up in a way that you're happy with, you can always use: Filename (path) contains [VINYL] etc. for the rules.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 03:44:59 am »

I understand your question and I think I understand why you would like to work that way. The only question I have is why don't you take the time and fix the tags and work that way? You can use different fields with "versions" for hires, vinyl, etc. With the tools available in MC its relatively easy to fill the tags with the folder and filenames you seem to have in order, and you'll be much more flexible creating views and organising your media once you get all the tags in order - if these tags were only a nuicance no one would use them, right?  ;)

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:54:17 am »

For instance I have a Hi rez view sorted by bit depth and sample rate.

How is this done? I would like to do this.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »

How is this done? I would like to do this.
At the top of the current view you should be able to bring up a menu with options for: List Style, Group By, Sort By, Customize View. (the options may change slightly depending on the list style you use)

kstuart

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 01:22:41 pm »

Note that Bit-Depth is incorrect in MC18 for some filetypes (see previous threads on the topic).

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 01:28:54 pm »

Note that Bit-Depth is incorrect in MC18 for some filetypes (see previous threads on the topic).
I did a quick search but couldn't find anything on this. Could you describe the problem? Everything seems to be fine inside my library.

kstuart

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 01:39:28 pm »

For some filetypes, it is reported as "32" and so if you use an expression like " greater than 16 ", you will get false positives for these filetypes.  IIRC, it includes AC3, DTS and Musepack ("MPC").  And they won't appear correctly sorted by bit depth.

It looks like something that is not encountered frequently enough to be corrected in MC18.

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:02 pm »

Lossy formats like that don't have an inherent bit-depth. MC's decoder for those files is presumably 32-bit, so that should be correct.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Bitdepth#Bitdepth_of_Lossy_Formats

kstuart

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 04:47:08 pm »

Amazingly you just parroted the irrelevant explanation of the Wiki without thinking about it.

If you check your lossy MP3s, MC18 reports "16-bit" for bit depth.

If you have 16-bit 44.1khz APE files that are ripped from a CD, and you have 24-bit 96khz FLAC files that are downloaded form HDtracks, then when MC18 reports "32-bit" for a lossy file, it is not the same meaning of the words "bit depth".

I am sure the explanation is entirely true - but it refers to a different measurement of "bit depth".

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 06:52:40 pm »

Ok, I tried view-customize view-set rules for display-sample rate- sample rate is greater than or equal to 96000 Hz.  Ok, got it. Had to change to 96000hz and not 96khz
Pages: [1]   Go Up