INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd behavior on Gapped Playback.  (Read 3769 times)

dprime

• Recent member
Odd behavior on Gapped Playback.
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:35:53 am »

I noticed some odd behavior when using gapped playback for audio on 18.0.158 (also verified on 180.0.174).
I usually set the gap to 2 or 3 seconds for DJing and noticed that the gaps between tracks sometimes seemed to be rather short. I tried experimenting today and set the gap to 10 seconds to make the problem more obvious.

I have mostly mp3 and flac audio files and found the following:

1) If the playlist moves from mp3-->mp3 or flac-->flac, the gap is heard and the length of the gap can be verified from the Remaining Time on the display which reaches zero at the end of the file and starts counting positive for the length of the gap.
If the playlist moves from mp3-->flac or flac-->mp3, the gap is ignored and play of the new track starts immediately after the previous track ends.

2) Another odd thing I noticed, that may be a part of this problem, is that when the gap works (e.g. playlist moves mp3-->mp3), the audio of the new track starts at the beginning but the Elapsed Time display starts at the "Gap time". So for a 10 second gap, Elapsed Time always starts at 10 seconds.  

I checked on MC14, which I've been using for DJing up until recently and this problem does not happen. Gaps are always observed.

[Edit]: Add problem numbers and MC17 info:

MC 17.0.189:
Problem 1 above occurs (Gaped playback not observed when audio format changes).
Problem 2 doesn't occur, Elapsed time always starts at 0 whan focus moves to the next track, but there is a slightly different problem... When play moves from one audio format to another, the audio for the next track starts playing while the elapsed time for the previous track is still counting the Gap time.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Odd behavior on Gapped Playback.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:41:14 am »

I can confirm this - I noticed it a few days ago when trying out the Play Doctor feature and it was switching between ALAC, DSF, and DFF. If there's a format change involved, the track change setting seems to be ignored.

lohma004

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:36:40 am »

I am noticing the same thing. I have my MC set up for 4s standard (gapped) playback and it is very erratic. I hope someone figures this out as I use MC to DJ for tango events.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:29:17 am »

I can confirm it's a bit spotty when the hardware needs to be reopened (normally for hardware sample rate changes).

Sorry for the trouble.  Hopefully we'll be able to get it fixed next build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 12:13:39 pm »

Next build:
Fixed: When using 'Gapped' playback mode, the gap would not be honored when switching hardware output formats (normally sample rate).
Fixed: The playback position could be incorrect when using a gapped playback mode.

This is a bit complicated due to all the permutations, so I'd appreciate any testing once the next build is available.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 12:50:46 pm »

;D I look forward to trying it out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:02:01 pm »

dprime

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:07:32 pm »

I've just tested gapped playback on 18.0.189 with a mixture of mp3 and flac files and it seems to be behaving now.
The Gap is observed and the Elapsed Time always seems to start at zero.

Thanks, David  :)

[EDIT] Behaved flawlessly whilst DJing this afternoon :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up