INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CoreAudio output bitstream?  (Read 3479 times)

deluge23

• Recent member
CoreAudio output bitstream?
« on: May 21, 2013, 03:44:28 am »

Does CoreAudio works like WASAPI for bitstreaming? AFAIK I thought CoreAudio is the OSX audio stack and it should be avoided?

Weird thing though coz it behaves like WASAPI. Tried playing a 24-bit 96K audio file and my DAC shows exactly the same information as WASAPI.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: CoreAudio output bitstream?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:50:51 am »

CoreAudio is capable of bit-perfect output up to 32-bit, with no resampling at any sample rate.

It also includes a lot of optional capabilities like sample rate conversion, audio processing units, etc. but JRiver doesn't use them.

Now that we do DoP bitstreaming on Mac, it's easy to test that we're bit-perfect because if any bits in the 24-bit DoP package are not correct, the signal collapses.  DoP is working on several DACs we have here, so I think we're now on pretty solid footing with the JRiver audio engine on Mac.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

deluge23

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:00:13 pm »

Hi Matt. Thanks for the answer. Apparently I only see CoreAudio as the only output mode selectable (other is null output). Hence the question of whether JRiver is using it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 09:40:26 pm »

Hence the question of whether JRiver is using it.

Yes.  Core Audio is the name of the API you use to deliver bit-perfect data to the sound driver on Mac (among other things).

I guess you could think of it as Apple's WASAPI.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up