INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gungnir / Bifrost / Schiit Drivers  (Read 15355 times)

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Bifrost / Schiit Drivers
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:53:11 pm »

Using Windows 7 System Restore I was able to roll back my system to May 19th (three days ago).  J River version 18.0.175 is working fine.  The latest build does not work for me.  I am not sure if it because I am using HDMI or because of my DAC (NAD M51).  Please let me know if you fix this problem.

Razzzor... Im using USB and it is only after the update that I hear the fluttering.
I am using the schiit usb driver on win7-64 bits...
I can only eliminate the fluttering when I switch to Direct Sound..
I will try all the different settings suggested by Matt when I get back home from work this eveing..
worst case I will rolled back to previous version...

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:09:07 am »

done test with different settings..

it works only with
mode = wasapi (open dev for access & disable event style = both checked)
bit depth = 16 bit integer..
all other bit depth settings will cause fluttering noise or error "something went wrong with playback......" 

and
mode = Direct Sound

Don't work with
mode = ASIO
    buffering and music won't play
    .do you need to install ASIO4all ?

mode = Kernel Streaming
   buffering... and music won't play

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:30:51 am »

I have a very plain install of Windows 7 64, JRiver, and the USB drivers for my Bifrost... ASIO works just fine for me. Which version of the Schiit drivers are you using? Mine were downloaded on 3/29/2013 via the link on their site.

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:16:21 am »

I have a very plain install of Windows 7 64, JRiver, and the USB drivers for my Bifrost... ASIO works just fine for me. Which version of the Schiit drivers are you using? Mine were downloaded on 3/29/2013 via the link on their site.

I bought my Gungnir sometime back in December 2012.. So I think I have installed mine driver around that time.

May be I should go and re-install it...

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:20:24 am »

My extract folder for my Schiit drivers is listed as U6631_6631A-120716-7.0.11.80(W7-ER-01).

There are four folder, XP, Vista, 7, 8.... I only listed 7..

In device manager there are two Schiit devices listed in Sound, video and game controllers... On the driver tab one is listed as version 7.0.11.80 and on the other device it is listed as version 6.1.7601.17514.

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 08:25:46 am »

ha...
found my driver..

U6631_U6631A-1.01.zip....

but I can't seem to find the link to the schiit driver on the schiit website.
  can you help to send me the link

So do I need to "uninstall" the old driver before I re-install the new?

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:36:13 am »

They are at http://schiit.com/drivers/ but it looks like the same file you already have.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:40:15 am »

Oh, I forgot... Under Audio Output > Output mode settings, make sure to DISABLE the check box for "Use large hardware buffers (recommended to prevent stutters).

I had the same buffering problem, and unchecking that did the trick.

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 08:43:46 am »

these are the four folders, once they are unzipped

U6631_6631A-120716-5.12.11.80(XP-ER-01)
U6631_6631A-120716-6.0.11.80(VISTA-ER-01)
U6631_6631A-120716-7.0.11.80(W7-ER-01)
U6631_6631A-120716-8.0.11.80(W8-ER-01)

may be I should re-install it....
do I need to uninstall the older one 1st.? how?

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:24 am »

I think your drivers are good to go.. See my post right above yours.

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:05:12 am »

I think your drivers are good to go.. See my post right above yours.

okay I had already uninstall the prev driver and re-install the driver...
everything still remains the same..

tried your recommendation
wow... it really work....
did as you recommended... its workkkkkkkks..

many thanks syn-ack.....

but as wasapi mode... still don't work..

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
Gungnir / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 09:21:28 am »

Excellent! Glad to help...

JRiver recommends ASIO if you have stable drivers for it. Been using it myself for weeks, and no problems. Since moving to ASIO, I have not experimented again with WASAPI settings.

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Gungnir / Bifrost / Schiit Drivers (18.0.189 build)
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 06:37:04 pm »

Another thing..

notice that the new build do not allow me to play the .dts format file.
tried ASIO, WASAPI & Direct Sound...nothing seem to work..
  it output "playback error"

anything else to set?

else will roll back to older update

larrywayne_832

• Recent member
Re: Gungnir / Bifrost / Schiit Drivers
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 09:09:06 pm »

Complete newb here, first post (hi, all!) so I'm gonna put everything down in one post and hope that I can get some help.

The system is all new, bought just for this. ASUS x202e laptop. J River is the only installed program. External drive for music (USB 3.0). Schiit bifrost über w/USB 2nd gen, Lyr head amp.

First thing, ASIO has never worked. When I tried, the output went to the laptop speakers. It won't go through the bifrost. Do I need to install another driver, and if so, which is recommended and what settings?

I had things working through WASAPI on the earlier version (175?), although with a huge buffer size to get rid of the background clicks. Since the update however, I'm lucky to get an output at all. The only things that work are direct ( which sounds kinda sucky) and WASAPI with the event style disable button checked. Even so, after a couple of minutes of play, I start getting distortion and then total dropouts.  The settings I was just getting used to diddling with to fix things in WASAPI seem to have gone bye bye. This is my only way to listen to music. Help?!?  Should I reinstall the earlier version? And if so, how do I do that? (Told you I was a noob)

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »

my computer failed to restore...

Im stuck with 18.0.189...

can someone help..

I want to roll back to previous stable JRiver...
 ... found the .175 file and roll back...

everything is good with .175 update...
rgds

stealer

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2013, 01:09:30 am »

Complete newb here, first post (hi, all!) so I'm gonna put everything down in one post and hope that I can get some help.

The system is all new, bought just for this. ASUS x202e laptop. J River is the only installed program. External drive for music (USB 3.0). Schiit bifrost über w/USB 2nd gen, Lyr head amp.

First thing, ASIO has never worked. When I tried, the output went to the laptop speakers. It won't go through the bifrost. Do I need to install another driver, and if so, which is recommended and what settings?

I had things working through WASAPI on the earlier version (175?), although with a huge buffer size to get rid of the background clicks. Since the update however, I'm lucky to get an output at all. The only things that work are direct ( which sounds kinda sucky) and WASAPI with the event style disable button checked. Even so, after a couple of minutes of play, I start getting distortion and then total dropouts.  The settings I was just getting used to diddling with to fix things in WASAPI seem to have gone bye bye. This is my only way to listen to music. Help?!?  Should I reinstall the earlier version? And if so, how do I do that? (Told you I was a noob)

larrywayne,
follow this link and download the file.
once you are done.. click the exe file to proceed with installation...

oops, forgot the link.. here you go
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v18/latest/MediaCenter180175.exe

larrywayne_832

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2013, 06:56:37 pm »

Stealer,

Thanks! Back to earlier working order.

Younghank

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:21 pm »

Howdy all,

I'm in need of a little help...my 24 bit 48khz,96, and 192 have no sound. The files play but no sound. I've been using MC18 for 2 months now and it's been great except for this little hiccup. My current set up looks like this:

Hp sleek book 14 all drivers are up to date.
MC18 - Asio- output is set to no change. All flac files are feed to the Gungir via USB.

The Gungir was purchased in May with the upgraded Gen2 USB and the driver was downloaded from their website.

I can play 16/44, 24/88, and 24/176 bit perfect and it sounds great but I can't figure out why the 48,96,192 have no sound. When I enter control panel via windows 8 (64) head into sound devices I can test the sounds their and the there are zero test sounds from the above mentioned samples. It seems like a communication breakdown between my dac and PC. Also I tried the other output methods and its all the same even with direct sound.

Sorry for the wordy post, it's my first.

Any help would be kindly appreciated,

Tony
T

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 06:51:44 am »

The Gungir was purchased in May with the upgraded Gen2 USB and the driver was downloaded from their website.
Have you checked for a newer driver?

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 07:14:11 am »

If your test sounds from control panel  are not working, you might be better of getting in touch with Schiit to get that tracked down. You can email Jason (at) schiit.com. He usually responds pretty quickly during the day.

Younghank

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 02:53:36 pm »

Have you checked for a newer driver?

I tried up dated the current one and I looked on Schiits website and the windows 8 driver there is the current one I have. I just sent Jason an email regarding this. Thanks.
T

Younghank

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2013, 06:00:26 pm »

If your test sounds from control panel  are not working, you might be better of getting in touch with Schiit to get that tracked down. You can email Jason (at) schiit.com. He usually responds pretty quickly during the day.

Jason replied back asking me to try it on a different pc (not a bad idea) but I only have the one. He also mentioned that they don't have the same problem with windows 8 and JRiver. That's all that was offered. I'll have to keep at it. thanks for the help.
T

larryrup

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 02:52:21 pm »

I'm running Win 8 64 with USB to Bi-Frost.  Orginally I could only get  WASAPI non event style to work.  Sounded great.  To get ASIO to work I needed to change in DSP setting to 32 bit.  So 24 bit for WASAPI, 32 bit for ASIO but in either mode, all file bit rates play.
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.
Pages: [1]   Go Up