INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Checkbox Field  (Read 17860 times)

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
Feature Request: Checkbox Field
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:58:49 pm »

I have a decent number of custom library fields used for marking tracks with useful characteristics.  If a list-style user field has only one available value, can the Tag dialog display the field as a checkbox?  Right now, just to mark a file as "Live" or "Instrumental", "Damaged", etc. one has to click the blank area next to the field, select the checkbox in the list dialog, then close the list dialog to return to tagging.  That's two steps more than should be necessary for a binary field and a big PITA over a heavy tagging session.  I know that the list dialog allows adding additional values to the list on the fly, so the field library setup may need to include an option to override that (or, a distinct binary data type could be added instead)

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request: Checkbox Field
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 02:30:45 pm »

Well I don't really know that I would consider it a "list" if there's only ever one value there. Perhaps a new "boolean" or "checkbox" field type would be more appropriate.

That said, I wouldn't mind the option for some sort of "expanded list" view which displayed the checkboxes in the tag editor directly, without having to click on that field first. Something like this:

Even if it only displayed something like 5-10 tags before you needed to scroll, I think it would make tagging a lot quicker.

RedJ

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:37:23 pm »

I was trying to make it lower hanging fruit by suggesting changes to an existing type, but I did throw out a binary field type as a possibility. 

However, I think the expanded list view you suggest is actually a superior solution as it is more flexible.  It would have to be enabled on a per field basis, though or you could run out of real estate in the tag editor really fast.  Maybe an accordion interface where clicking ► would unfold the list inline and the state remain persistent between files.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:45:08 pm »

I did throw out a binary field type as a possibility.
To be clear, I was agreeing with you on that. :)

I can think of at least one other good reason for a "boolean" or "binary" field like the one you proposed to exist though… http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78267.0

Maybe an accordion interface where clicking ► would unfold the list inline and the state remain persistent between files.
That sounds like a good solution to me.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:01:23 pm »

Make a View that shows the fields you want in a Pane.  When you're adding the category (pane) to the view, the "Matching" setting can help make sure the list works the way you want.  If needed, you can also turn off Filter in Both Directions under Edit View > Advanced (so that all available field contents show no matter what is selected in the other panes).

Done.

I do essentially all List-type field tagging in panes.  Way simpler than editing it in the Tag AW.

That said, I would like a boolean-type field that uses a checkbox (which is what brought me to this thread in the first place, to give the +1).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up