INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver loses all network devices [solved]  (Read 8902 times)

Frans

• Recent member
JRiver loses all network devices [solved]
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »

JRiver seems to randomly lose one or all network devices . Often while playing to my Oppo. Frequently I am playing (WASAPI ) to my Oppo bdp-105 and it stops playing after a song. When I look at my ethernet networked PC it looks like jriver has either lost the oppo, or all devices. The latter is happening very frequently now, but just losing the oppo device happened more frequently in or previous versions.

I have several networked devices, so this is very odd.

Frans

• Recent member
Re: JRiver loses all network devices
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:02:12 pm »

I have been watching JRiver and I can see it lose all devices except for the local Player quite frequently. It loses wired and WiFi devices all the same. Anybody else see this I've seen others discuss this on outside firms, but not here. It's becoming nearly unusable now as I can play maybe 2-3 songs before it "loses" my Oppo and stops.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:08:02 pm »

A DLNA renderer will only go away for one of two reasons:

1) The device broadcast a bye-bye (should only happen if you shut it down)
or
2) Multiple consecutive calls to the device fail (like calls to ask for the position, volume, etc.)

My guess is the Oppo is failing on some call (#2). 

Does the device only go away when you're actively playing to it?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Frans

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 11:46:31 pm »

No, it goes away whether I am playing or not. My TV, Zeppelin Air, and Xbox 360 also disappear or stay undiscovered for extended times, even when they are powered up.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:32:26 am »

Can't seem to duplicate this in the windows version (there is an issue with the SSDP responder for the Mac). Can you check to see if your SSDP server is still running on the DLNA status screen (just change the drop down from "summary" to SSDP).

Any network configuration changes when this happens? (an interface down/up, DHCP address change, etc)??

Frans

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:48:41 am »

I used fixed IP addresses on the Oppo, TV, and Pioneer Receiver. Currently my TV and Xbox are off.

Players discovered at this time were the Pioneer and Zeppelin Air (Playing Now)
I turned on the Oppo.
4 minutes later it was discovered under Playing Now - no special status observed in the activity log outside of Notify and M-Search
While looking at the SSDP Log screen I saw Oppo appear (under Playing Now")
Oppo disappears a minute later
The only statuses are Notify and M-Search.
After it disappeared it didn't come back while watching for 10 minutes

I can ping the Oppo on the network and it's up the whole time, but JRiver just doesn't "see" it.

Is there anyway to see the Device Discovery service history per IP address? That way we could see when device addresses are found and dropped.

I am going to switch to another Ethernet card and give the PC a fixed IP address to see if this helps at all.

Frans

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 12:14:21 pm »

Update:

I have two built in Gigabit Ethernet Adapters in my PC.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first is: Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                 Settings: Auto Obtain IP Address and Auto Obtain DNS

This first Ethernet connector was the one where I kept losing devices. Otherwise it worked just fine to browse the network and Internet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second is: Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                      Settings: Fixed IP address and Fixed DNS (using OpenDNS servers)

I switched to the second one and rebooted. Once restarted it discovered the Oppo, Pioneer, and Zeppelin quickly and has "held on" to all 3 devices for the last 25 minutes!

The moment I went to post this, JRiver lost all 3 devices... They appeared two minutes later however. Grrr. I didn't see anything special in the SSDP other than the M-Search status.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:25:13 pm »

Just for the record, when given a choice like this, always choose the PCIe device.  PCI-based Gigabit LAN devices are bus limited to lower than Gigabit speeds.

Also, PCI resources (IRQs) are often shared and can cause all sorts of weirdness.

Also, I've personally had a board with those exact same Marvell controllers and they were both flaky (though the PCIe one was better).  Try updating drivers (direct from Marvell), but that might not help (or might make it worse).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Frans

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »

I can always roll back to the default Microsoft drivers. I have installed the latest Marvell Miniport drivers and will check to see if this helps.

http://www.marvell.com/support/downloads/driverSearchResults.do;jsessionid=q2x3RncbrKZSYGC6JJLHppfJw4dwYq1LcHdBjhvYlVyphLLWQynb!645878663#

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 04:18:47 pm »

Also, I've had the onboard Marvel ethernet go bad (on servers). I switch to Intel cards then.
If the interface goes down and comes back up, even momentarily while MC is running, you might see the behavior you are describing. You also might want to check the switch/router. The windows event log would show interface state changes.

Frans

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 05:09:35 pm »

It's still up since the Marvell driver install! Fingers crossed, but moving away from the MS stock drivers may have solved it! It hasn't been locked on this long in several weeks.

Frans

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 02:21:46 pm »

Still up and running! Wonderful!

We can call this issue solved! Fix was to use Marvell's drivers for the PCI-E Ethernet plug. This is built into many motherboards including ASUS around 2006.

For some reason the MS default drivers misbehave badly, so don't use them if your connection to playback devices flakes out a lot.

bob

• Administrator
Re: JRiver loses all network devices [solved]
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 10:40:27 pm »

Thanks for the status report.

Frans

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 11:28:28 am »

After further scrutiny I cheered too soon. The issues of the vanishing network devices were still occurring. I created long playlists and never got past 5 songs, so back to the drawing board.

I figured it might be a firewall issue so I tried to allow JRiver full reign in the Firewall of Zonealarm Extreme Security 2013, but nothing I tried worked, so I had initially ruled out Zoneaarm. Big mistake in retrospect! Once I FULLY UNINSTALLED ZONEALARM the problems of disappearing/vanishing devices completely disappeared and I got through an entire 100 song random playlist!

Despite disabling Zonealarm's Firewall and Antivirus it was STILL was interfering with the local network and JRiver somehow! I installed Microsoft Security Essentials and it's been completely stable since.

Hope this helps someone else in the future!!!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:12:09 am »

Thanks again. We've seen issues with Zonealarm in the past too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up