INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't browse DLNA video media in "folder view"  (Read 5189 times)

chriso

Can't browse DLNA video media in "folder view"
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:56:26 am »

Hello,
I have MC18 connected to a linux DLNA server(mini DLNA).  MC18 is able to browse video files in "files" view, but any other view it just sits at "searching for files" indefinitely.  I'm trying to view video media with the "disk location" and "shows" view.  With audio, "disk location" view works fine.  None of my other DLNA clients(xbmc, windows media center, numerous iOS apps) have any issue browsing folder view.  Is there a known issue with this?  Thanks for any suggestions

chriso

Re: Can't browse DLNA video media in "folder view"
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:51:16 am »

Trying to pop this question to the top. I've fiddled with customized views to no end. I consider myself a techie and have been in the HTPC arena for a decade, but I just don't understand how this application works.  It seems to be configurable, yet I can't bend it to my will.

All I want is to connect to my DLNA(ArchLinux mini-dlna) server and view contents in a nice, structured, folder layout. So far, all MC19 does is give me a list of files with unintelligible names.  the "Filename(name)" field just shows a numeric value followed by the file extension. This is not helpful. "Filename (path)" gives http://192.168.81.8/MediaItems - also not helpful.

None of the 3 other DLNA clients have any trouble with my DLNA server. Only MC19 can't seem to display the contents in an orderly fashion. Please help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 06:51:58 am »

DLNA has its own protocol and structure, so it's not usually customizable.

You might be better off to import the files in MC if the device shows up as a drive in Windows.

chriso

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 03:58:15 pm »

DLNA has its own protocol and structure, so it's not usually customizable.

You might be better off to import the files in MC if the device shows up as a drive in Windows.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not trying to customize what the DLNA server serves up, I'm trying to get MC19 to display the contents in a reasonable way. I understand that DLNA has its own protocol, but every other client I've used (iPhone apps, xbox, xbmc, windows media player, WDTV Live, CHEAP bluray players) are able to interpret the DLNA structure and display filenames/folders in a logical way.  

Either MC19 needs a lot of work to work with DLNA servers, or I am not configuring the application correctly. Like I said before, I've fiddled with library items and added Filename fields.  I'm starting to think that MC19 is not really targeted for HTPC users who want a clear/concise front end for all content.

In the end...I'm still looking for help on how show DLNA content in a tree structured view with filenames.  Thanks for listening.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:12:32 pm »

There aren't a lot of users who use MC in this fashion.  Typically, they point MC at the actual files over the network.  I'm not sure how much work has been done in this area.  MC really wants to have access to the files, and you'll get much better results importing the files (which just imports references to the files, not the actual files themselves).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up