INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI Problems Fixed in 18.0.193 and above -- Please Report Any Here  (Read 43354 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

We recently changed the terminology for WASAPI.

It's just WASAPI now.  To get the old WASAPI (non Event Style), you must check the option called "Disable Event Style".  It's in the second section of Audio Settings.

We made an error at the same time that caused a lot of DAC's not to work.  Ticking, etc.  That is fixed in build 193.

Please tell us what you find.  Thanks.

F1 fan

• Recent member

193 working fine now with 100ms buffer on both 16 and 24 bit files.Thanks Gents.

JimH

• Administrator

Thanks for the report.  And thanks also for your patience.

Stax

• Recent member

Tried Wasapi event style unchecked (and checked), 100ms (and10ms), no good, same problem. No sound...., see meters moving, counting of seconds of the song,
and flickering lights on my DAC. Got to go to work now, be back monday evening.

elderavelas

• World Citizen

I have an Audio-gd NFB-15.1 DAC with USB interface (Tenor TE8802).
With event style disabled, changing audio tracks with different sampling rates makes the player stay stopped while showing it is in play mode but no sound is heard and the time indicator remains in zero. Clicking on stop and play buttons makes the song be played.

Foobar has no such a problem. I am using WASAPI support component V2.1 which, I believe, is not event style.

Movies don't play any sound with event style disabled. The movie image is shown running normally but the audio is mute.

This was already happening with previous MC releases and still happens with 18.0.193.

I'm using Audio-gd driver V1.0.

Thanks.

gazjam

• World Citizen

What's worth trying if your having Wasapi problems, is making sure windows services AudioEndpointBuilder and
Audiosrv are enabled.

mws2112

Gents,

(New to Forums - doing my best . . .)

My computer suffered incredible static with build 189, as you addressed in the "Humble Apology" post.  I changed my update channel settings to "Latest" and tried the 193 build.  Oops, I still have the same problem.  :(

The "Humble Apology" post said I could change settings myself, but the provided instructions "It's in Audio options in the second section, called "Output Mode Settings" are vague at best.  Under TOOLS, OPTIONS, AUDIO, I don't find any place to set bit-depth.  Could you please post some more explicit point-and-click directions to the window I'm looking for?

I've turned off auto updates, and reverted to Build 175.  But I guess I'm stuck here for now.
------------------
I'm running Win XP SP3 with all the updates, using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card.  There's nothing special about the machine that I can imagine would be causing MC to trip up.

Mike

JimH

• Administrator

Try setting MC to "24 bits in a 32 bit package" in the audio options.

Could you please post some more explicit point-and-click directions to the window I'm looking for?

EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that you said you were on Windows XP - you will not have WASAPI available. But the settings are roughly the same no matter what your output mode is.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I'm running Win XP SP3 with all the updates, using a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card.  There's nothing special about the machine that I can imagine would be causing MC to trip up.

Welcome.

Could you describe your audio settings and details in 'Audio Path' when using the older build?

Since XP does not have WASAPI, I'm guessing you're using DirectSound.  Is that correct?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

elderavelas

• World Citizen

I have an Audio-gd NFB-15.1 DAC with USB interface (Tenor TE8802).
With event style disabled, changing audio tracks with different sampling rates makes the player stay stopped while showing it is in play mode but no sound is heard and the time indicator remains in zero. Clicking on stop and play buttons makes the song be played.

Foobar has no such a problem. I am using WASAPI support component V2.1 which, I believe, is not event style.

Movies don't play any sound with event style disabled. The movie image is shown running normally but the audio is mute.

This was already happening with previous MC releases and still happens with 18.0.193.

I'm using Audio-gd driver V1.0.

Thanks.

Updating Foobar2000 and WASAPI support component makes Foobar having similar issues.
May be the issue I reported is related to the driver not to MC.

Thanks.

gugecheng

• Recent member

Since the update WASAPI to start,There is no good used of WASAPI.I did not get anything useful from the Administrator Help.The answer is only a problem on your setup.Now the question:

WASAPI Mode:Right speaker no sound,Pause Noise appears on the right speaker.Replaced direct sound everything is normal.The problem is obviously WASAPI.

Sound Card:VIA  VT2021
Drive:1700
System:windows 7 64bit SP1

JimH

• Administrator

Since the update WASAPI to start,There is no good used of WASAPI.I did not get anything useful from the Administrator Help.The answer is only a problem on your setup.Now the question:

WASAPI Mode:Right speaker no sound,Pause Noise appears on the right speaker.Replaced direct sound everything is normal.The problem is obviously WASAPI.

Sound Card:VIA  VT2021
Drive:1700
System:windows 7 64bit SP1
Please confirm that you have installed MC 18.0.193.

ths61

• World Citizen

This may not be an issue specific to this with this version, but the Audio Analyzer does not work with DSD content.  I noticed this on the previous version as well.

I am now able to play DSD content remotely with version 18.0.193 (using a Wyred 4 Sound DAC2-SE, WASAPI/32bit Integer).

There is @ 1 second of static when switching tracks remotely.  If I switch the DSD tracks locally, there is no static at track switch time.

Main - JRMC31 -> custom ALSA_cdsp -> CamillaDSP(2x8 channel 64-bit FIR convolution) -> 8 channel DAC
Office - JRMC31 -> Asus Xonar Essence STX -> W4S STI-1000 -> Mini-Magnepans
Shop - JRMC31 -> W4S MicroDAC -> Adcom GFA-2535 -> B&W Rock Solid

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

This may not be an issue specific to this with this version, but the Audio Analyzer does not work with DSD content.  I noticed this on the previous version as well.

If you play as PCM, Analyzer works.

If you bitstream, you are bypassing any audio processing or analysis, including Analyzer.

Vincent Kars

The bit depth setting “automatic” suggest the system will take care of the right bit depth.
When playing to a Bluetooth device I didn’t get any sound with this setting.
Had to set it to 16 bit integer manually

mws2112

Welcome.

Could you describe your audio settings and details in 'Audio Path' when using the older build?

Since XP does not have WASAPI, I'm guessing you're using DirectSound.  Is that correct?

Yes.  I'm using DirectSound.  WASAPI is not listed as an option.

Under "Output Mode Settings . . ." , all I have is a drop-down box under "Device", and a slider for "Buffering".  Bit-depth isn't included in that dialog box.

I've tried to paste a cropped screensot of my dialog box, but the "insert image" button doesn't work intuitively, and I can't figure it out.  I "attached" the jpg, but it doesn't show when I "Preview" my response, so maybe it's just not my day . .  :(

Mike

Audio

Just a feedback on the inability to playback DSD with Meitner MA-1 using build JRiver 18 189.

Now loaded with Build 193, switch from Kernal Streaming to WASAPI.  Now everything working again.

Thank you for your support.

(Audio)

Stax

• Recent member

Try setting MC to "24 bits in a 32 bit package" in the audio options.

This setting won't play 24/192! ,for me that is.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Yes.  I'm using DirectSound.  WASAPI is not listed as an option.

Under "Output Mode Settings . . ." , all I have is a drop-down box under "Device", and a slider for "Buffering".  Bit-depth isn't included in that dialog box.

I've tried to paste a cropped screensot of my dialog box, but the "insert image" button doesn't work intuitively, and I can't figure it out.  I "attached" the jpg, but it doesn't show when I "Preview" my response, so maybe it's just not my day . .  :(

Please make sure 18.0.193 is installed, then close MC18 and download this file:
http://files.jriver.com/temp/out_main.dll

Overwrite the out_main.dll in this folder:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins

Then run the program and try playback using Direct Sound.

Does that work any better?

Thanks for your help.

cleansocks

When i use DSP studio--Output format--Channels--source number channels,every thing working fine with any DTS-CD.But it will show Source:44.1kHz 24bit 1ch and lost center chanel's volume when i use any other up or down mixing option such like Jrss 7.1 or 5.1,Not all of my DTS-CD will broken like this,I can not find any difference between the fine wav file and the bad file.If i played the fine files and no stop to keep going to play the bad file,it will correct the errors of source' info and center chanel mute problem.
I don't know if it's my own problem,sure it is not a big problem,but i want to get some help if anyone can.

Win8 X64,MC 18.0.193,ASIO firewire sound card 8 channels.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

When i use DSP studio--Output format--Channels--source number channels,every thing working fine with any DTS-CD.But it will show Source:44.1kHz 24bit 1ch and lost center chanel's volume when i use any other up or down mixing option such like Jrss 7.1 or 5.1,Not all of my DTS-CD will broken like this,I can not find any difference between the fine wav file and the bad file.If i played the fine files and no stop to keep going to play the bad file,it will correct the errors of source' info and center chanel mute problem.
I don't know if it's my own problem,sure it is not a big problem,but i want to get some help if anyone can.

Win8 X64,MC 18.0.193,ASIO firewire sound card 8 channels.

You should use DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels to deliver a consistent channel arrangement.  Pick whatever matches your actual hardware / connection.

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck

Installed .193 and still can't reliably play 192/24 files.  Problems occur when switching sampling rates to 192. If a 44.1 file plays and the next file is 192, MC will either hang while the song plays or it won't output sound at all.

cleansocks

You should use DSP Studio > Output Format > Channels to deliver a consistent channel arrangement.  Pick whatever matches your actual hardware / connection.

Yes,i picked 7.1 chnnels and that maches my 8 channels' sound card.But it will consider with the parts of my DTS CD 5.1 WAV files,The normal files should be (SOURCE:44.1kHz 24bit 6ch  and OUTPUT:96kHz 64bit 8ch),the bad files just shown(source:44.1kHz 24bit 1ch and output:96kHz 64bit 8ch,and i found the center channel is mute now).I ALSO FOUND IT WILL BE :(SOURCE:44.1KHZ 24BIT 7CH  AND OUTPUT:96KHZ 64BIT 8CH) ON MY ANOTHER HTPC WITH WASAPI 7.1 REALTEK SOUND CARD SETTINGS,THE ''7CH'' DOES NOT MATCH THE 5.1 DTS-CD TOO,I WAS CONFUSED ABOUT THIS.

ths61

• World Citizen

Please make sure 18.0.193 is installed, then close MC18 and download this file:
http://files.jriver.com/temp/out_main.dll

Overwrite the out_main.dll in this folder:
C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 18\Plugins

Then run the program and try playback using Direct Sound.

Does that work any better?

Thanks for your help.

I got into a situation where my local laptop would not play (DirectSound), but it would serve to any of my other clients.  I tried the above out_main.dll on Win7/64 in Program Files(x86) and I have local audio again.

Thanks,
Tim
Main - JRMC31 -> custom ALSA_cdsp -> CamillaDSP(2x8 channel 64-bit FIR convolution) -> 8 channel DAC
Office - JRMC31 -> Asus Xonar Essence STX -> W4S STI-1000 -> Mini-Magnepans
Shop - JRMC31 -> W4S MicroDAC -> Adcom GFA-2535 -> B&W Rock Solid

JimH

• Administrator
Re: WASAPI Problems Fixed in 18.0.193 and above -- Please Report Any Here
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 10:47:50 am »

Installed .193 and still can't reliably play 192/24 files.  Problems occur when switching sampling rates to 192. If a 44.1 file plays and the next file is 192, MC will either hang while the song plays or it won't output sound at all.
When you post, please include the device you're playing to, the output mode you use, and the connection type. 

audioriver

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2013, 03:11:58 pm »

18.0.194=No audio (with DVB-S card playback) and MC freezes/crashes, cannot access any options. Using Directsound with the internal sound device on Win 8 x64... and it seems there's a system mess-up because other applications that output sound also freeze. Please revert/fix this.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2013, 03:28:00 pm »

because other applications that output sound also freeze

MC can't make other programs freeze, so I think this points to some underlying system / driver issue.

JimH

• Administrator

Stax

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 11:22:10 am »

Sorry to inform you that updating to .195 did not change any of the problems (mentioned before) I,m having with the ,,new Wasapi.

Chauncey

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:43 am »

When you post, please include the device you're playing to, the output mode you use, and the connection type. 

Sorry, here is the info:

MC 18.0.193 WASAPI
Mac Mini 2012 (Win 7 via Boot Camp) HDMI out >
OPPO BDP-103

I've tried disabling Event Style, exclusive control on/off, and a variety of buffer settings.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 12:30:36 pm »

Upgraded to .194 today. WASAPI is now working fine, no flutter/ticking sounds.

Schiit Bifrost
Event Style Disabled
Bithdepth and Buffering at default values.

cleansocks

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2013, 02:44:03 pm »

.195 just be installed

Win8 X64
Focusrite saffire pro 40 firewire soundcard (64sample via medium firewire driver latency)
24bit 7.1chs 96Khz windows settings

New wasapi 25ms working fine (.193 needs 100ms)
Wavpack files info in audio path>changes> ...  was right now
Because some of my DTS wav files were shown as 24bit 1ch in DSP studio but 24bit 6ch in audio path info window,Though i hope the new version can fix the "1ch" problem

thanks for all the improvement

Vincent Kars

Automatic
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2013, 03:13:33 pm »

Matt,
Care to explain how the bit depth setting “Automatic” is supposed to work?

In case of Bluetooth and SPDIF it doesn’t
Bluetooth has to be set to “16 bit integer”
SPDIF to "24 bits integer (in a 32 bit package)"

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Automatic
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2013, 04:13:09 pm »

Matt,
Care to explain how the bit depth setting “Automatic” is supposed to work?

If you have to ask, it's not working :P

Could you provide more details about the hardware you are testing (make / model) and also the OS?  Also, could you mail a log showing 'Automatic' fail to start playback to logs (at) jriver _dot_ com?

Thanks.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2013, 04:35:59 pm »

Will do.

Thanks

Vincent

PS: downloaded 195 first, Automatic now works with Bluetooth

UltraMagnus0001

• Recent member
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2013, 01:44:38 pm »

I noticed it's not as loud as it used to be and there's distortion that was never there before. I like to boost @ 33hz with a 12 bandwidth and set the level at 16 and that was fine. Before 193 I wasn't getting any audio and can see the visualizers going, now everything seems fine.

Mr Smeee

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »

I' m experienceing similar problems with WASAPI. I'm using a Bifost DAC. When playing, the DAC relay freaks out, and the sound is massively distorted. WASAPI worked fine on previous version. Direct works fine. I've tried all the various settings mentioned on these threads with no luck, I've also rebuilt the OS from a clean hard drive, and reinstalled JRiver, no luck. Any thoughts on how to get this to work? The DAC works fine with other sources.

Mr Smeee

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 01:13:11 pm »

As a note to my post above, I'm using SPDIF output, with .wav files, ripped from CD, I have not tried my HD files, since the bulk of my music is in the 44.1/16 format. When I first start the application, and a song, the DAC apprears to work, but I get silence, when stopping the song, and restarting is when I get the multiple relay clicks and severe distortion.
And yes, it is a Bifrost, not a Bifost

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 08:37:23 pm »

And yes, it is a Bifrost, not a Bifost

That's OK Mr Smeee, in my book you're allowed to do a sneaky "Modify" re-post and not tell anyone.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 06:41:38 am »

I' m experienceing similar problems with WASAPI. I'm using a Bifost DAC. When playing, the DAC relay freaks out, and the sound is massively distorted. WASAPI worked fine on previous version. Direct works fine. I've tried all the various settings mentioned on these threads with no luck, I've also rebuilt the OS from a clean hard drive, and reinstalled JRiver, no luck. Any thoughts on how to get this to work? The DAC works fine with other sources.

Did you try this?  (From above)
To get the old WASAPI (non Event Style), you must check the option called "Disable Event Style".  It's in the second section of Audio Settings

hifi_fan

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »

To get the old WASAPI (non Event Style), you must uncheck the option called "Disable Event Style".  It's in the second section of Audio Settings

Confused.

I believe:

check the option called "Disable Event Style" = old WASAPI
uncheck the option called "Disable Event Style" = WASAPI Event Style

hifi_fan

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 04:58:53 pm »

darn double negatives! lol

I believe you are correct hifi_fan.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2013, 05:00:21 pm »

I think Jim made a typo. He's entitled to one per year.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2013, 05:59:58 pm »

You're right.  Thanks.  Corrected above.

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2013, 12:00:50 pm »

Just downloaded .195.

With WASAPI, Event Style NOT disabled, 24 bit integer bitdepth, 100ms buffer get clicks and ticks like old fashioned scratched record, using Benchmark DAC2 HGC via USB1.0 with uptodate Windows 8. This uses standard Windows drivers.

Using ASIO and Benchamarks own USB2.0 driver (Thesycus) no issues.

Clicks seem to happen more (mebbe) when I'm using laptop for other things, including typing this and scrolling the MC albums screen.

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »

Just downloaded .195.

With WASAPI, Event Style NOT disabled, 24 bit integer bitdepth, 100ms buffer get clicks and ticks like old fashioned scratched record, using Benchmark DAC2 HGC via USB1.0 with uptodate Windows 8. This uses standard Windows drivers.

Using ASIO and Benchamarks own USB2.0 driver (Thesycus) no issues.

Clicks seem to happen more (mebbe) when I'm using laptop for other things, including typing this and scrolling the MC albums screen.
FYI, Benchmark's Driver defaults to a 2048 sample buffer, but 4096 samples is required with the default "safe" streaming mode and high sample rate files. (176/192/DoP) You need to either lower the streaming mode to "relaxed" or increase the buffer size. (I use Extra Safe and 8192)

Never used it in USB1 mode, as ASIO is generally preferred when there is a native driver.

However, one thing I did notice is that if I am outputting 192kHz via ASIO (I upsample all videos to 192kHz to reduce latency) I can still hear system sounds, if the system is also set to 192kHz. I don't think that should be happening? I thought ASIO was supposed to be "exclusive". Can someone (Matt?) comment on that? Is it even a Media Center issue?

AndyU

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2013, 03:06:16 pm »

FYI, Benchmark's Driver defaults to a 2048 sample buffer, but 4096 samples is required with the default "safe" streaming mode and high sample rate files. (176/192/DoP) You need to either lower the streaming mode to "relaxed" or increase the buffer size. (I use Extra Safe and 8192)

Never used it in USB1 mode, as ASIO is generally preferred when there is a native driver.

However, one thing I did notice is that if I am outputting 192kHz via ASIO (I upsample all videos to 192kHz to reduce latency) I can still hear system sounds, if the system is also set to 192kHz. I don't think that should be happening? I thought ASIO was supposed to be "exclusive". Can someone (Matt?) comment on that? Is it even a Media Center issue?

Cheers. As it happens I've bumped the buffer size to 4096 and streaming mode to Extra Safe already.

But my real point of posting was to say that WASAPI and .195 MC gives clicks and scratches for me when used with standard USB1.0 drivers and redbook material. This doesn't concern me greatly as I use ASIO and Benchmarks custom USB2.0 driver, but it might alert JRiver to some remaining issues, which is what the thread title asks folk to do. Surely you would expect WASAPI to work for me if I chose to use it?

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 03:44:19 pm »

Cheers. As it happens I've bumped the buffer size to 4096 and streaming mode to Extra Safe already.
If you're using Extra Safe, I think 8192 is required, rather than 4096. (it will complain if you try to play back 176/192/DoP and try changing to 4096)

But my real point of posting was to say that WASAPI and .195 MC gives clicks and scratches for me when used with standard USB1.0 drivers and redbook material. This doesn't concern me greatly as I use ASIO and Benchmarks custom USB2.0 driver, but it might alert JRiver to some remaining issues, which is what the thread title asks folk to do. Surely you would expect WASAPI to work for me if I chose to use it?
Generally ASIO is better than WASAPI on devices that have a native driver, and what you are reporting just seems like the settings need tweaked. I'll look up how to switch back to USB1 mode and report back later tonight.

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2013, 05:02:30 pm »

OK, it's way easier to switch between USB1 and USB2 modes by simply holding down the USB button on the remote - and I'm impressed by how seamless it was as far as Media Center and the OS were concerned, on Windows 8. (though I did need to restart MC before I could use ASIO again after switching back to USB2)
When I first got the DAC2, I used the "switch to USB input and hold input up/down on the front of the DAC" method, which took several tries before it worked.

I haven't done extensive testing, but I can confirm what you are hearing. Playing 24/96 music, switching to a 25ms WASAPI buffer seemed to clear things up on my system.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up