INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any option to apply default gain to files which do not have ReplayGain tags  (Read 4775 times)

saiyan

• Recent member

In Winamp I can set a fixed gain (e.x. -6db or -8db) for playing back files which do not have ReplayGain tags.  This would minimize surprisingly loud volume when playing files which do not yet have ReplayGain tags written.

Does MC18 has similar option?

Thanks

saiyan

• Recent member

Bump..  No one has any info??

This is the option in Winamp that I'm talking about:

saiyan

• Recent member

Bump... Anyone??

saiyan

• Recent member

Still no one?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

When files are not analyzed, they will use the average gain value of the other files that do have a value in Playing Now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

saiyan

• Recent member

Finally a reply, thank you Matt.

I assume the behavior you described are for files which are already in the library?
What about files which are not yet in the library?

Sometimes when I acquire new files or a friend bring over some new files, I would simply click on them to listen without importing them into the library.  More often than not, new files I acquired do not have Replay Gain tags.  And if these files were ripped from recent music CDs they are almost certain to be 10 to 16db louder than files in my library which have been analyzed and have Replay Tags written.

So when my AV receiver has its volume level set to a comfortable level for playing back files already have Replay Gain tags and then I click on a files or playlist of files not in the library, guess what happens most of the time?  A sudden blast of loud music and I would be forced to quickly turn the volume level down.  This is ver annoying.

With Winamp, there is the option to apply a fix gain to minimize this annoyance.  It would be nice if similar option is added to MC.

Also it seems realtime album gain does not work for files not in library.  It would be nice if there is an option to choose between realtime album gain and using existing album gain tags.

Yes, it seems like a lot of complaints from me.   I suppose I should have done more testing before I purchased a license for MC18.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

First, sorry for the slow reply.  I was on vacation this week, and this is my back yard.

If no files in Playing Now are analyzed, I think it should default to something reasonable like -10dB (remember JRiver values are -6dB for historical reasons).  I actually thought it did this already, but maybe not.  I'll look at the code in the next few days and follow up.

sKiZo

• World Citizen

At the risk of being annoying ... well ... more annoying ...  ;D

Perennial complaint for me is that I can't manually adjust the individual settings in the "analyze audio" table. The automatic routine doesn't always get it right, and I have a lot of stuff that's too quiet for my tastes or screams at me. This happens in both "by album" and "by track" options. In a perfect world, I'd never have to touch the volume, right?

For instance, right now a double click on a Replay Gain setting in the table gives you two choices - either the setting created by the automatic process, or "0". Looks like it'd be a simple coding switch in the fields to allow a manual numerical entry to override the table value.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Next build:
Changed: When a file has no Replay Gain, a Replay Gain of -10dB will be used if no other files in Playing Now are analyzed (otherwise the average of analyzed files is used).

saiyan

• Recent member

A -10 db sounds like a good adjustment for files without Replay Gain.  (It would be nice if this value is user adjustable).
I will wait for the next build and see how well it works.
Thanks.

kredmore

• Recent member

So, now I know why my streaming content is lower volume from MC, as it doesn't have a replay gain, so down by 10db.  Is there a way around this in MC?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Replay Gain is optional and defaults to off.

DoubtingThomas

First, sorry for the slow reply.  I was on vacation this week, and this is my back yard.

If no files in Playing Now are analyzed, I think it should default to something reasonable like -10dB (remember JRiver values are -6dB for historical reasons).  I actually thought it did this already, but maybe not.  I'll look at the code in the next few days and follow up.

Thank You !!!

kredmore

• Recent member

Replay Gain is optional and defaults to off.
I don't follow you Matt.  When I stream, the Replay Gain says -10db in DSP Studio.  How is it off, or how do I turn off?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I don't follow you Matt.  When I stream, the Replay Gain says -10db in DSP Studio.  How is it off, or how do I turn off?

You can turn a DSP on and off by unchecking the box next to it in DSP Studio.  In this case, the check is next to 'Volume Leveling'.

Another option would be to use 'Automatic' preamp adjustment.  This gives you the loudest playback possible in any playlist while keeping consistent volume across the playlist (and avoiding clipping).

kredmore

• Recent member

You can turn a DSP on and off by unchecking the box next to it in DSP Studio.  In this case, the check is next to 'Volume Leveling'.

Another option would be to use 'Automatic' preamp adjustment.  This gives you the loudest playback possible in any playlist while keeping consistent volume across the playlist (and avoiding clipping).

That works.....thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up