INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: SOLVED by Arindelle: networked PC's (without a monitor)  (Read 25338 times)

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Media server mode problem
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2013, 02:06:48 pm »

I always thought that Synctoy is just a specific GUI for robocopy, it is interesting that there are differences in speed!
I wish you much luck with your bluescreens!

Dear chrisxyz,

I don't think Synctoy can do multi-threaded copies.  :'(
About bluescreens: I realized that it happens when I try to use mouse after a while and if I add or remove anything from other USB ports. I changed the mouse, it looks everthing is ok for now. Thank you.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2013, 04:19:04 pm »

PC1

Pre-install recommendations:  
- map all drives to be accessed ; avoid unnecessary sub-directories to keep path+filename short and consistent throughout if data cannot be centralized and easily renamed using jriver library commands if/when needed  : e.g. NASDRIVE G: /Music/Various Artists/Album would be present also on the PC1 F: /Music/Various Artists/Album. Path+filename must not be longer than 254 characters.

you mean mapped drive letters do not have to be same?

5) Configure Startup options (Important if there is no monitor on PC1)

Options=>Startup=>Windows Startup
a- choose: Media Center AND Media Server

After set up is finished, I will not forget to change it "Media Server" only.

Options=> File Location=>Cover Art
b-recommendation: Audio Mode: Same folder as the file (as folder.jpg) - this will make your life easier later IMO

May I choose: Same folder as the file without (as folder.jpg)?

So far so good, I hope JimH does a favor and move those three posts in first page or makes your messages a sticky thread. Thanks for your effort.

PC2

It plays on PC1, controlled from PC2  ;D

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2013, 05:16:24 am »

Hi Hamsi just finishing this up in the last part I'll get back to you afterwards with the questions -- One thing though
you mean mapped drive letters do not have to be same?
Funny I just had a long discussion with a friend who doesn't use MC but is a network engineer and he knows his stuff  -- he is a sort of an admin of all admins of a well-known multi-national.

I know zero really about networking except the stuff I've learned to make what I need work -- most of the times I forget how I even did them a couple of months later ...

Anyway, the guy is talking about UNC path names and stuff with another friend at the table, and I'm falling asleep. Until they were on about  local home networks and how people get haven't a clue ... long story short we started talking about jriver and they asked me to look into my very simple network and the guy said yuck, why the hell did you map drives?? just to save a couple characters in your path names!

He says basically with Win 7 or above that are not mixed with XP (used to be my case), don't use mapped the drives, use the folder shares directly and name them by location or computer name -- in his multimillion dollar Forbes company he works for he's making all the smaller LAN cells remove them!! Then he pushes me out of the way, disconnects the network drive (I only had one) and it worked right away in jriver without a hitch -- he said the only thing required is to allow/remove admin permissions and make sure the shared folder(s) are read write. I am going to ask the guys on the PC forum what they think --

In answer to your question of course the idea (how I used to look at it at least) was to insure that all PCs on the network see the same drive letter.

"you mean mapped drive letters do not have to be same?" just bad writing on my part -- normally you choose a letter near the end of the alphabet -- map or connect the drive and all PC will see the same drive letter, OK?  But in your case, you said you had three media "areas" -- one the NAS 2) the PC2 3) external drive connected to the PC 2 -- so you could map three drives (or more) like X:, Y:, Z: configuring this in autoimport. What I meant was the path naming you use should be the same on each -- like #1 Classical/Verdi/ on one drive and SACDRIP/Verdi, Giuseppe: on another is pain in the ass when using jr's library tools ... sorry about that - its more of a strong recommendation than an obligation .. I'll show you why when I finish the post above 30 minutes  8)

EDIT sorry Hamsi its going to take me longer

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2013, 07:05:52 am »

Hi Hamsi  What I meant was the path naming you use should be the same on each -- like #1 Classical/Verdi/ on one drive and SACDRIP/Verdi, Giuseppe: on another is pain in the ass when using jr's library tools ...

I've got it now.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2013, 11:54:29 am »

If you want to use Remote Desktop from PC2 occasionally, you will have needed to allow it to connect without a password. If you don't know how to do this (I certainly don't retain this stuff personally :)) ,

""Limit local account use of blank passwords to consol logon only." was already enabled on both computers. I have disabled it. It still asks user name and password for Remote Desktop connection, no pasword needed for mapping drives in each other though.  

I also (one by one);

1. unplugged anything can be from the motherboard and installed a pure Windows 7...

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LimitBlankPasswordUse is 0; remote desktop allowed, firewall is off, restarted switch.

3. netplwiz: unchecked "Users must a enter username and password to use this computer option"

4. Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Homegroup /Change advanced sharing settings... Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings)
turn off "password protected sharing"

It still keeps asking user name and password for Remote Desktop connection.

At the end, remote desktop is OK now.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2013, 06:32:07 am »

""Limit local account use of blank passwords to consol logon only." was already enabled on both computers. I have disabled it. It still asks user name and password for Remote Desktop connection, no pasword needed for mapping drives in each other though.  

I also (one by one);

1. unplugged anything can be from the motherboard and installed a pure Windows 7...

2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LimitBlankPasswordUse is 0; remote desktop allowed, firewall is off, restarted switch.

3. netplwiz: unchecked "Users must a enter username and password to use this computer option"

4. Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Homegroup /Change advanced sharing settings... Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings)
turn off "password protected sharing"

It still keeps asking user name and password for Remote Desktop connection.

At the end, remote desktop is OK now.
;D

Arindelle

« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2013, 07:10:23 am »

almost finished PROMISE this time !! But looks like you are freaking out about Remote Desktop password

I'm stunned that you would reinstall windows for this !!  ;D

So quickly - the registry entry is correct well it looks more like 0:0000000 (0) but should be the same thing. That's all I had to do! run  ... never touched the actual registry entry at all - I hate doing that  ;)

You are sure you have done this on PC1 (your Caps machine)? I never changed the default on my "PC2" Has nothing to do with firewall -- you'll have to ask in the PC forum or google the hell out of it. First though, are you sure you don't have multiple users setup on on PC1 -- for "headless" you want to run this without a login .. that's what's really important -- so no password on PC1 (you should have one user with no pw). Check to see if the user pw is really blank and has no spaces that you couldn't see

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2013, 07:45:08 am »

almost finished PROMISE this time !! But looks like you are freaking out about Remote Desktop password

I'm stunned that you would reinstall windows for this !!  ;D

Most of the servers are disabled on CAPS, still I couldn't manage to connect it. I changed the harddisk and installed a clean Windows, it's ok now.

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2013, 09:52:55 am »

Dear Arindelle,

Thank you very much.

Arindelle

« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2013, 10:38:42 am »

@Hamsi -- ok finished part three above -- hope this can help you a bit

I hope JimH does a favor and move those three posts in first page or makes your messages a sticky thread. Thanks for your effort.
LOL -- well thats nice of you to say but I think they would have to re-edit this completely to make this readable/understandable. Or they would have to add a warning, like "Beware - extremely long and boring, may cause somnolence,  do not read while operating a moving vehicle."  ;D If you want you could change the title to something like how do I set up a networked Pcs without a Monitor or somesuch. Maybe somebody searching could find it. Its not a Media Server Mode Problem its a Hamsi-Mode Problem!!  ;D

After set up is finished, I will not forget to change it "Media Server" only.
I wouldn't ... you are using this as the "renderer" going directly through to your DAC, with access to all the goodies MC has to offer  -- actually I'm not even sure you can  :-\

May I choose: Same folder as the file without (as folder.jpg)?
Yes you can. I just find that most ripping programs rip and keep the artwork in the album folder marked as folder.jpg .... If you choose a different directory, if I understand correctly that is, all the art gets put there  -- just easier for me for maintenance -- regardless you always have the image in the metadata. Your choice.

@csimon - haven't forgot about the sync post ... I'll get to it eventually, there is some practical info in part 3 on that above.

Cheers all

PS - for backups you might want to try Syncback -- the free version is very complete. I've always found Nero very "intrusive" personally.

PPS - @Hamsi, now for payment you have to list all your audio gear. I want to make fun of your 800 euro interconnects and power purifiers you probably own  - well somebody has to buy line harmonizers (what are they anyway,!   ;D  

hamsi

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2013, 11:11:48 am »

@Hamsi -- ok finished part three above -- hope this can help you a bit

PPS - @Hamsi, now for payment you have to list all your audio gear. I want to make fun of your 800 euro interconnects and power purifiers you probably own  - well somebody has to buy line harmonizers (what are they anyway,!   ;D  

Yeap, you saved my life. Thanks a lot.

I can't talk about my audio gear I even make fun of myself here... ;D  But, I would like to see you in my listening room, you'll see audio Nirvana is reachable after tons of audiofoolish things... purifiers, harmonizers, cable raisers, temperature and humidity, the way you sit all changes the result. hearing is believing :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up