INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre View - Possible to simplify view?  (Read 2595 times)

cgroth

• World Citizen
Theatre View - Possible to simplify view?
« on: July 10, 2013, 11:17:19 am »

Hi,

I am trying to implement MC18 as my wife's only media program for all content. So far it certainly seems like the best bet.

I have a couple of challanges though:

1. She doen't really like computers, she still thinks a CD player and a VHS would be better. She even prefers using 3 or 4 original remote controls (although she always messes up) to my MX-3000 universal remote.
2. She absolutely will nor accept having to use a keyboard, mouse or anything obviously computer related to watch a movie, listen to music or look at photos
3. I believe the Theatre View in conjunction with a special GUI on the remote, made to suit her preferences perfectly, will win her over, but:
a) Although I have removed almost all visual elements etc that are not necessary for her to find, select and play her movies, there is still an additional level between Movies and the actual icons ("Name") or between TV Shows and the actual icons ("Series"), see my attached screen grabs. These seem to have no real function when they are alone on that level (i.e. there are no horizontal alternatives), they require and extra Enter command when coming down to get into the movie choices and when going up - to select another type of content - it requires an additional and confusing Up command. Can this level of heading be removed without affecting the workings of the levels above (Movie, Shows, Back) or below (scrolling through movies)? Ditto for the Shows screen?
b) Is there a way to call up the TV Shows directly from a remote control? I Have buttons to show the start screen, Movies and Music, but no button seems to jum directly into TV Series. Since this is what she'll use most it would be very convenient to have a button that would jump directly to that view.

Best
Chris

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Theatre View - Possible to simplify view?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 11:32:22 am »

I have a similar situation with my wife :)

I agree, it really has to be easy. I was talking to her yesterday explaining the remote and how to get to a specific spot. I say it's so easy just three buttons... She rolled her eyes, 3!!!

Anyway I posted about the behavior of the Enter key in Theater View a few days ago. I know most people will just brush these kinds of comments aside but these are the little things that make or break opportunities.
For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »

1. She doen't really like computers, she still thinks a CD player and a VHS would be better.
I can understand it - the simplicity of these is nice. Put in the tape or disc and hit play. No menus or options to think about. It just works.

She even prefers using 3 or 4 original remote controls (although she always messes up) to my MX-3000 universal remote.
I don't blame her to be honest. I've owned a number of universal remotes, but always end up back with the ones that came with the devices. Generally universal remotes have worse build quality, and just don't work as well for all of a device's specific functions - at least in my experience.

Controlling Media Center is an issue for me though. I would love it if I could just use my TV remote (which is better built than most) via HDMI-CEC remote commands, but Media Center doesn't support that.
Right now I try to use JRemote on the iPad, and while it's a great app, it's still not as nice as simply controlling Media Center with my TV remote would be.

I now have a second remote in my setup, as my DAC needs one, so at some point in the future I may have to move to a universal remote again if I want to control the TV/DAC/Media Center.
Part of the problem with universal remotes is that they either have a million buttons, a touchscreen (hate them on remotes) or an unsuitable layout.

All I want is a remote that has a power button, arrows, confirm/cancel, volume up/down/mute, a button to launch Media Center into Theater view, and a single programmable button for my TV's "theater mode" toggle.
Eight buttons and a D-Pad is all that should be necessary on a remote. Sony's 2013 BRAVIA remote would be perfect if it was programmable.

a) Although I have removed almost all visual elements etc that are not necessary for her to find, select and play her movies, there is still an additional level between Movies and the actual icons ("Name") or between TV Shows and the actual icons ("Series"), see my attached screen grabs. These seem to have no real function when they are alone on that level (i.e. there are no horizontal alternatives), they require and extra Enter command when coming down to get into the movie choices and when going up - to select another type of content - it requires an additional and confusing Up command. Can this level of heading be removed without affecting the workings of the levels above (Movie, Shows, Back) or below (scrolling through movies)? Ditto for the Shows screen?
I gave this a try - it seems that you can do this, but you lose most of the customization options for that view.

I don't really see any good reason why those options are missing for top-level items, as they are still available when you have several items nested under each other. Perhaps Matt can do something about this?

b) Is there a way to call up the TV Shows directly from a remote control? I Have buttons to show the start screen, Movies and Music, but no button seems to jum directly into TV Series. Since this is what she'll use most it would be very convenient to have a button that would jump directly to that view.
It seems you can have direct access to the default categories, but it doesn't seem to update if you replace them with custom ones:

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:55 pm »

As far as remotes go I encourage you to look at http://flirc.tv/

Using my Harmony, Flirc and Autohotkey I have a full and seamless integration of everything with a single remote. Flirc makes controlling Windows and JRiver a snap. My PC even goes to sleep when I hit power off and wakes up when I power on from the remote. I have posted on it before.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 02:52:49 pm »

It seems you can have direct access to the default categories, but it doesn't seem to update if you replace them with custom ones:

The "TV" one seems to call up something other the TV Shows (something I have probably deleted), so it just works like the Green Button. Since I am using a programmable universal remote though, I will see if I can still make this happen.....

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »

The "TV" one seems to call up something other the TV Shows (something I have probably deleted), so it just works like the Green Button. Since I am using a programmable universal remote though, I will see if I can still make this happen.....
Because this is a default category in the program, I bet it goes to live TV if you have a TV tuner, rather than your "TV Shows" category.

As far as remotes go I encourage you to look at http://flirc.tv/

Using my Harmony, Flirc and Autohotkey I have a full and seamless integration of everything with a single remote. Flirc makes controlling Windows and JRiver a snap. My PC even goes to sleep when I hit power off and wakes up when I power on from the remote. I have posted on it before.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it requires an IR receiver (my tower is located in another room) and my TV responds to my TV remote's commands, so I can't also use it to control Media Center. (which is what that appears to be based around) And it doesn't handle the DAC commands so I still need another remote.

Boltron

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:35:29 pm »

Yes it is IR. I use a Harmony 900 though which is RF and I can locate the main IR blaster and two remote ones pretty far away.

The 900 is nice but is costly unfortunately. I really would like to find a cheaper RF alternative. As long as it supports my LG TV and Denon receiver it's fine. The Flirc can be programmed to anything.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:10:29 pm »

I didn't really want this thread to be about different remote controls, interesting though the topic is, but rather the behaviour and apparence of MC18 Theatre View in relation to being controlled by remote controls as opposed to keyboard/mouse combinations....   :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up