INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use ArcSoft TMT6 to play DVDs and BRs  (Read 31041 times)

cgroth

• World Citizen
How to use ArcSoft TMT6 to play DVDs and BRs
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:09:49 am »

Hi, I downloaded JRiver MC18 originally to replace Windows MC on my wife's PC. The purpose was to play music only (as we had never successfully managed to get WMC do do anything other than partial music service). However, I quickly realized that MC18 could do so much more, and it now works as a wonderful front end for all my wife's media needs, except playing ripped BluRay discs. Despite what other here on the forum mean, my wife does not think that the user interface of MC matches that of the original disc menus, which is what she is used to from my main HTPC, where I run ArcSoft (TMT4 and TMT5). Since her main use of the system will be to watch TV Shows, then Audio, then Movies, and because she wants to be able to easily select different audio and subtitle options, it makes sense to also watch regular ripped DVDs through ArcSoft, the way she is used to.

So, I am working hard on customizing a universal remote control, which will control the TV, the amplifier, and the PC. The PC will have MC18 as a front end, and as a music player, and ArcSoft will play the ripped DVDs and BRs which are started from MC18.

All this works in theory, right?

So, three questions:

1. How do I get MC18 to start file play in ArcSoft
2. I keep reading that MC18 somehow "steals" commands sent to other applications, such as TMT6, so that external players are hard/impossible to control? Has this issue been solved?
3. I find it hard to access TV Shows directly. The MC remote has buttons for Movies and Audio, but not for TV Shows. This means there are a lot of key presses necessary to get to the TV Show menu (which is our most used menu). I could program the universal remote to to do those key presses automatically, but that requires a fixed and stable starting point. I have not been able to find a key that will bring me to the same place in MC18, regardless of where I am when I press it, nor have I found a combination of keystrokes that will do so. Has anyone looked into, and solved, this problem before?¨

Best
Chris

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to use ArcSoft TMT6 to play DVDs and BRs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 12:51:11 pm »

I didn't read your entire post - too much for me right now. Been cutting grass all day  :P

But to launch external programs (TMT, etc.) go to Tools>Options>File Types and select the file type (ifo, bdmv, etc.) then click on the Playback method and select "External Program". Put your external file path in and the program's "exe" file name.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 12:56:56 pm »

Thanks! Can't wait to try this, only yesterdays Windows Update has messed up 4 PCs in my hosue so far  >:(

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 01:27:17 pm »

One Question. Did Arcsoft remove  16 bit, 48 kHz Output restriction in TMT6?

In some audiophile forums,people prefer to use dts-hd.dll from TMT 3 and not from Version 5, because TMT3 didn't have these restrictions.

Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 03:08:43 am »

I didn't read your entire post - too much for me right now. Been cutting grass all day  :P

But to launch external programs (TMT, etc.) go to Tools>Options>File Types and select the file type (ifo, bdmv, etc.) then click on the Playback method and select "External Program". Put your external file path in and the program's "exe" file name.

Dear CountryBumpkin,

Thanks for the reply, I think I am almost there now. I haven't installed TMT6 yet, so I am just testing on VLC. I am able to start the program, and try to play the file, when I select "Watch" in MC18, but VLC reports  a bad file descriptor. I need to experiment on Arguments that should go into the Playback Method dialogue box. Any hints are welcome. I tried the library field Filename, but that had some extra info I needed to strip, and possibly add a few characters? The end of the file read something like this "....VIDEO_TS.dvd;1", but I think it need to read "...."VIDEO_TS.ifo".  So I have to find a way to make that change. I am certain there are expressions or similar that can do it, I will experiment when I get back from my cabin in Thursday/Friday, but any pointers in the right direction will be gratefully accepted... :-)

Chris

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:36:29 am »

As I recall reading, you only need to point to the TMT program and provide any arguments for the TMT program itself (if there are any). You do not need anything about the file itself. Once you select the file type "ifo" to use the external program, it will cause all ifo files to use the TMT program. It has been a while since I used/tried an external program so my memory may be flawed a little. I was using the external program "Virtual CloneDrive" to mount iso rips. But I don't do that anymore.

I remember reading some instructions about how to set this up - I just did a quick search and I could not find anything. However, I did find this (old) posting saying it could not be done. I'm not sure if this is still true. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70829.0

Good luck

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:42:58 am »

We need to get jmone in on this thread.

Ekpen

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:44:09 pm »

As I recall reading, you only need to point to the TMT program and provide any arguments for the TMT program itself (if there are any). You do not need anything about the file itself. Once you select the file type "ifo" to use the external program, it will cause all ifo files to use the TMT program. It has been a while since I used/tried an external program so my memory may be flawed a little. I was using the external program "Virtual CloneDrive" to mount iso rips. But I don't do that anymore.

I remember reading some instructions about how to set this up - I just did a quick search and I could not find anything. However, I did find this (old) posting saying it could not be done. I'm not sure if this is still true. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70829.0

Good luck
Greetings:
Jmone just posted a script a few weeks ago. I downloaded the ahk. It has TMT5 or 6 and Nvidia interface. Send me a PM to file attach to you, if you are still interested.
Infact, after I got the script, I immediately purchased TMT6.

George

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 06:14:12 pm »

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 06:33:19 pm »

FYI - MC supports DVD Menus so I'd suggest playing them in MC.  Currently you can not access the original BD menu but you do get the ability to select the various titles, streams etc on the disc....so one option is to just get used to the current MC method.  If you want to original BD menu then TMT can do this but it depends how you store and play them, eg:
- From original Disk
- From ISO on a HDD
- From an unencrypted BD Structure on a HDD

Thanks
Nathan

JRiver CEO Elect

Ekpen

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 05:10:04 pm »

Hi, I want to use ArcSoft to play ALL my ripped DVDs and BRs, not only 3D ones (in fact I have none of those). Do I still need to use a script, or is it just a case of getting the filename right in the argument part of the Playback Method under Tools > Option > Filetype in MC18?

I have so far just tested with VLC (since I haven't downloaded/installed TMT6 yet), and it seems I am pretty close to getting VLC to start the right file, it just cannot find the correct one because the filename have some extra info in it which cases problems. Is there an expression which can be used to strip away text from a filename?

Chris

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 05:58:35 pm »

I have so far just tested with VLC (since I haven't downloaded/installed TMT6 yet), and it seems I am pretty close to getting VLC to start the right file, it just cannot find the correct one because the filename have some extra info in it which cases problems. Is there an expression which can be used to strip away text from a filename?

Set your Tools > Options > File Types for DVD to launch an external program (custom).  Browse to VLC:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

Set the argument to:

"regex([Filename (Path)], /#^(.*)\\VIDEO_TS\\#/, 1)"

including the quotes.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 03:31:59 am »

Set your Tools > Options > File Types for DVD to launch an external program (custom).  Browse to VLC:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

Set the argument to:

"regex([Filename (Path)], /#^(.*)\\VIDEO_TS\\#/, 1)"

including the quotes.

Dear MrC,

I changed the Program field to read as you suggested (which meant adding (x86) to my line) but that gives me a message (in Norwegian) to the effect that it can not find the exe file. However, if I use the text I originally had, but with you argument, VLC starts without error and plays something, but I don't know what! Basically the screen is black and there is no sound. I've set VLC to show the filename at the beginning of play, and it does if I launch the VIDEO_TS.ifo file from Windows Explorer, but when I press Watch from MC18 there is no filename shown. I have checked that the VLC launched from MC18 is the same as when launching from Explorer, and the Show filename option is active. Is MC18 telling VLC to behave in a certain way (i.e. show no filename, show no video and play no sound), or is there some other explanation?

In the attached screengrab you can see what I have done. To test the output of the   "regex([Filename (Path)], /#^(.*)\\VIDEO_TS\\#/, 1)" expression I called this PlayMe in the customized view I use to manage files. As you can see the output appears to be just two quotation marks. I think this might be because the input into the expression (the [Filename (path)] is somehow incorrect? If you look at the filename path (library field) column it appears to be missing the "VIDEO_TS.dvd;1".....

I will do some experimenting, but any clever tips that shortens my development cycle are more than welcome  ;)

Chris

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 04:05:20 am »

It seems to me that the argument to be sent to VLC (or any other external media player) should be

a combination of the Filename (path) and the Filename (name) library fields, with the end of the Filename (name) replaced by the letters "ifo"?

To start VLC successfully here I typically doubleclick, in explorer, the file called VIDEO_TS.ifo in the Disc X folder. This file's target reads:

"\\READYNASULTRA6\Video\Shows\2 Broke Girls\Season 1\Disc 1\VIDEO_TS.IFO"

This is the Filename(path) in red, plus the Filename (name) but stripped of the "dvd;1" in orange and with the addition of "IFO" in green. So it seems to be I have to find an expression to be placed in the argument field which:

1. Replaces the "dvd;1" in the Filename (name) with (IFO), or if the replace cannot be done:
a) removes the "dvd;1" from Filename (name) and
b) adds "IFO" to Filename (name)

2. Combines the newly created Filename (name) - possibly called something else - of "VIDEO_TS.IFO" with the Filename (path). With path coming before name.

Do you geniuses agree, and if so, how do I go about this?

Chris

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 06:07:07 am »

Dear geniuses,

May I join you? The following home made expression worked: RemoveRight(Replace([Filename],dvd,IFO),2)  ;D

I am sure its "incorrect", but nevertheless something of a victory for me, as it is the result of attempts at using intelligence rather than thrashing.

However, I see two problems:

1. I have only tested it on VLC so far, not TMT6. Maybe it won't work there, time will tell....
2. This only works for DVDs, but I cannot see it working for BluRays, since there the file to play will not be called the same, and it is likely to be in a separate folder (not just "Disc 1"), but in a subfolder of Disc X called either BDMV or CERTIFICATES.

So, how do I:

a. Know what the file that starts the menu on a ripped BR is called? I think it is index.bdmv
b. Extract this name from the filename? I assume some version of the above method
c. THIS IS THE MAIN PROBLEM I THINK: How do I get MC18 to use one method for DVDs and another for BRs? is that where scripts come in? That seems very complicated?

I guess I could set up MC18 to only play BRs through the external player, but then I would play DVDs and BRs in different players, and they would probably behave differently, in terms of how subtitles are switched on and off, audio streams changed etc? So the user (my wife) would need to know when she is playing one type and when she's playing another, and use different commands accordingly? Since she will never know (or want to know) what disc type a certain Movie/Show is on, this will quickly frustrate her, and she will stop using MC18.

Hmmmm ?

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 07:49:06 am »

Well, I seem to be past all the problems I have outline above. However, when I try to launch a BR, ArcSoft starts, but since I am presently only using a Trial version I have to close a window asking me for a Licensed Email and Activation Code. The window closes, but then no file is played. Is that because I am using the trial version only, or do you think something else is wrong? Is there any way to test that these two program will work together on my wife's PC before I commit to spending USD 100 for ArcSoft? The reason I am asking is that:

1. The PC is an old Vista machine, not very powerful
2. The files are stored on a NAS

So, what I am afraid of is that even after spending USD 150 (50 for MC and 100 for ArcSoft), I will still have hardware issues/too low bandwidth preventing this from working properly. So I would really like to see the whole thing working together before forking out. At this time both Audio and Video (Movies and TV Shows) on DVD are working great, so I believe this is the final hurdle before investing...

...yes, I am still not entirely happy with the functionality for browsing TV Series, but I think that (two issues, discussed in two other threads I have started) is overcomeable/liveable...

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 09:46:40 am »

I just noticed one issue:

When I play BR with ArcSoft on my main HTPC, which uses Cinemar MainLobby as a front end, I link to the index.bdmv file in the appropriate disc folder, and the ripped BR plays beautifully, going to the disc menu, exactly as the physical disc would (YES, I know some of you don't want that for all sorts of reasons, but this is what my wife wants, and her wish is my command, or else....)  :P

However, if I double-click the file from Explorer, it launches a static file, seems almost like an image file, and not the menu. If I use ArcSofts Open pull down menu and select Open File, the file doesn't even show up when I browse to the correct folder. However, if I select the Open Disc Folder and simply browse to the correct Folder, named Disc X, and press OK, then the menu will start properly.

So my question is; in MC18, under Tools > Option > File Types > Video > Blu-ray (bdmv, mpls) when I set the Playback Method to External program (custom) and link to TTM6 in Program, what should be in the Arguments field, the Folder path or the filepath? Since I am running the trial version of ArcSoft neither method seems to work at present, but I would like to know that this WILL work before paying USD 100 to unlock the auto start feature properly.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 10:40:03 am »

Why are you doing this - I forget? Is it because you want menus?
For me its just not worth the effort. I think most MC Users just rip the movie to their hard drive (either the main movie only skipping all the extras, or if its a TV Series, they rip each episode individually). MC does the "menu" part for you - it lists all the movies and its related info, and for TV series lists them in order and by Series, season and episode.
You sound like your trying to make MC do something its not designed for. If you like figuring this stuff out - go for it.
I don't want you to discourage you - but maybe it would be easier for you to make your videos/movies/shows "fit" MC rather than the other way around.

MrC

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 12:10:22 pm »

cgroth - you can test out your launch with arguments more quickly by doing it in the Windows command line.

In Start, type cmd and press enter.

In the black window, enter the name of your executable, such as vlc or TTM6 (what it is called), add a space, and then the double quoted path to the file.  This way you quickly experiment with the required arguments to successfully launch your movies.  Example:

vlc "\\READYNASULTRA6\Video\Shows\2 Broke Girls\Season 1\Disc 1\"

Quick tips:

- use Up or Down arrows to move through the command shell history
  - use Left or Right arrows to move the cursor to edit
  - use Tab to complete a partial path name for faster path entry

Once you have the argument figured out, you can then move to MC to create the necessary expression to supply an appropriate path for either DVD or Blu-Ray.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »

Why are you doing this - I forget? Is it because you want menus?
For me its just not worth the effort. I think most MC Users just rip the movie to their hard drive (either the main movie only skipping all the extras, or if its a TV Series, they rip each episode individually). MC does the "menu" part for you - it lists all the movies and its related info, and for TV series lists them in order and by Series, season and episode.
You sound like your trying to make MC do something its not designed for. If you like figuring this stuff out - go for it.
I don't want you to discourage you - but maybe it would be easier for you to make your videos/movies/shows "fit" MC rather than the other way around.

Its for my wife, not me. She wants the media center to act like she is playing the discs themselves. The discs are already ripped, about 1,700 of them. I don't think it is more work trying to get MC to act like our main HTPC (which uses ArcSoft) than it is to re-rip all the disc, plus invest in another 15-20 TB of storage space. So either I can get MC to act like the main system (with menus, subtitles, audio options etc) and use our existing files, or MC will not be used. Since we are so close, I am confident that I will get there soon :-)

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 12:46:31 pm »

cgroth - you can test out your launch with arguments more quickly by doing it in the Windows command line.

In Start, type cmd and press enter.

In the black window, enter the name of your executable, such as vlc or TTM6 (what it is called), add a space, and then the double quoted path to the file.  This way you quickly experiment with the required arguments to successfully launch your movies.  Example:

vlc "\\READYNASULTRA6\Video\Shows\2 Broke Girls\Season 1\Disc 1\"

Quick tips:

- use Up or Down arrows to move through the command shell history
  - use Left or Right arrows to move the cursor to edit
  - use Tab to complete a partial path name for faster path entry

Once you have the argument figured out, you can then move to MC to create the necessary expression to supply an appropriate path for either DVD or Blu-Ray.

Thanks MrC, I will try that :-) However, I guess I will still be blocked by ArcSoft asking for a license key, and if that action "breaks" the process of launching, I guess a command can be correct without me knowing?

MrC

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 12:51:14 pm »

If you've ripped in standard formats (which it looks like you did), MC will present the menus, etc. as intended (including all the previews and other garbage).

It was nice that using the external (VLC) method, the DVD menu is brought up in about 1 second, whereas all the other junk on the menu is forced on you otherwise.  So I can see why someone would want to use an external player for some cases.

MrC

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 12:54:19 pm »

Thanks MrC, I will try that :-) However, I guess I will still be blocked by ArcSoft asking for a license key, and if that action "breaks" the process of launching, I guess a command can be correct without me knowing?

I don't know, and I don't have the product.  You'll have to get advice from someone who does, but I suppose this only occurs when you are on the trial version.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 01:05:58 pm »

I don't know, and I don't have the product.  You'll have to get advice from someone who does, but I suppose this only occurs when you are on the trial version.

Yes I think so. I am fairly confident that I have the correct Arguments for starting DVDs, but when I press Enter a pop-up asks for a license key, and then nothing happens, so it seems in trial mode the discs have to be started directly and manually. However, I am still uncertain how to start a BR, so hopefully someone with ripped BRs and s similar file structure as me, can tell me what Arguments to use for BR play with ArcSoft TMT6.

MrC

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 01:37:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure you'll want:

...path to blu-ray\BDMV\index.bdmv

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 02:14:25 pm »

Right, that's what I thought too, and I managed to get the expression right for it also :-)  I tried the expression that starts a DVD in VLC, which I guess should be the same in TMT (?), and that doesn't start in TMT either, so i think the issue is the license key.

i just tested playing a BR in TMT, and the sound and video quality was excellent and no apparent bandwidth problems either, so I really think this will work. I will see if the ArcSoft people can perhaps promise that it will work, or I get my money back? JRiver MC18 is SO close to being perfect now...  :)

Chris

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »

Won't work...tmt in command line has to be pointed to the folder holding the bdmv and the certificate folder. Had my old thread which could help : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75817.0. And yes once tmt is licenced it works perfectly as external player with mc18

MrC

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:53 pm »

That's correct, it won't work.  We worked out the details in another thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82247.msg560743#msg560743

I was going from memory, but decided to take up the challenge and provide a definitive answer.

Thanks for the follow-up!
Pages: [1]   Go Up