INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your development cycle is strange  (Read 3278 times)

bobvin

Your development cycle is strange
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »

You know, I really like and enjoy using your product. But your information flow and organization is just not something this old brain understands. Granted, I'm "old school" having worked at Microsoft and at the little company that made the chip that enabled the first several generations of the iPod.

But your development cycle is strange, and your use of WIKI for a manual is exceedingly difficult. I get the whole idea of needing to generate cash flow in the software world, but asking people to pay money to upgrade vaporware is odd, i.e. we haven't announced any new features, we haven't committed to anything, but please give us your money 'cause we promise we'll do something you will like. It is just an odd way of doing business. Most companies will not announce anything about a product under development, let alone ask people to pay in advance for an unknown list of features or improvements. Hell, its even hard to find a list of the current product features.

Like I said, I use your software in a very high-end audio system, and it works well for me. But perhaps someone can explain the whole "alternative" way of doing business?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:46:17 pm »

perhaps someone can explain the whole "alternative" way of doing business?

You're not alone, see explanation here...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81987.0
pretend this is something funny

erniek

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:51:12 pm »

I agree with bobvin. I like the program as well but only use it for high end music. So if the upgrade does nothing to enhance that and I pay for it what do I get. Also is there precedent for doing it this way?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 12:59:17 pm »

... but please give us your money 'cause we promise we'll do something you will like. It is just an odd way of doing business.

Like I said, I use your in a very high-end audio system, and it works well for me. But perhaps someone can explain the whole "alternative" way of doing business?

Ever purchase "premium" cable or streaming services?  You pay month-to-month, or commit to a term, and have no idea what movies they'll show or will be available.

Ever purchase a movie ticket?  You pay up front, and take it on faith you'll like the show.

Ever purchase software-as-a-service (such as Adobe Creative Suite)?  You pay per term, and have no idea what you'll get.  Heck, you're even paying for them to fix their own bugs.

Ever pay for a support contract?  You pay this insurance, with the assumption you'll need expensive help using a vendor's product (which has some incentive to make things somewhat difficult... so you purchase insurance).

Ever pay for a concert?  Who knows how well the band will play, or how much you'll enjoy the show.  But you've paid well in advance, just because of the name.

Are there numerous other companies investing a significant portion of their development cycle to bring you fine high-enders things like R128 adaptive volume, memory playback, and working directly with key audiophile experts to bring these high-ender features to you?  The upgrade cost is so minute and insignificant (esp. when compared against your gear) that the few complaints just don't make much sense to me to personally.  I couldn't care less about many of the features that are worked on each cycle, but I feel it is in my best interest to recognize and reward excellence (and I've gotten more than my share of support and features).  The alternative is a race to the bottom, and companies that actively listen and respond to their customers will be a dying breed.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:03:04 pm »

if the upgrade does nothing to enhance that and I pay for it what do I get. Also is there precedent for doing it this way?

You get to stay with the current version, which always seems to include improvements and/or enhancements to audio (Matt is a dedicated audio guy), and maybe you get some other things that might benefit you, even if you don't know what those might be, or even that you'd want them later.  You also get to support a local, small business, in the USA, and keep about a dozen folks gainfully employed.

It seems that most people are taking the offer for a VERY cheap upgrade as some sort of request for them to update blindly.  It's not, in any way, shape, or form, a request for anyone to upgrade.  It's an offer to allow the thousands of people that DO want to upgrade to do so for cheap, and to have a part in helping shape the future of the product.  I'm sure that JRiver would actually prefer if very few actually took advantage of the HUGE sale, and waited until the product was further along, and paid more later to upgrade.  That would be more profitable, I imagine.

No one is being pushed to do something they are not totally comfortable doing.  If you need to have a list of what's coming, then you should wait to upgrade.  NO ONE is twisting your arm to upgrade now, it's simply an offer to do so, cheaply.

As for precedent, yeah, they've done it this way for years, and it seems to be working quite well for them (and for me).  I think there was one version in the last 12 years that I felt might not have been necessary for me to have upgraded, but since it normally costs so little, I feel good about knowing I can upgrade at the lowest cost, so I always purchase early, and enjoy the ride.
pretend this is something funny

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Your development cycle is strange
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:03:50 pm »

New Features are available here:

JRiver Media Center 19 for Windows

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 04:30:29 pm »

New Features are available here:

JRiver Media Center 19 for Windows

Please keep in mind that's after 12 builds.

We're over 200 for MC18.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 01:59:46 am »

Ever purchase "premium" cable or streaming services?  You pay month-to-month, or commit to a term, and have no idea what movies they'll show or will be available.

Ever purchase a movie ticket?  You pay up front, and take it on faith you'll like the show.

Ever purchase software-as-a-service (such as Adobe Creative Suite)?  You pay per term, and have no idea what you'll get.  Heck, you're even paying for them to fix their own bugs.

Ever pay for a support contract?  You pay this insurance, with the assumption you'll need expensive help using a vendor's product (which has some incentive to make things somewhat difficult... so you purchase insurance).

Ever pay for a concert?  Who knows how well the band will play, or how much you'll enjoy the show.  But you've paid well in advance, just because of the name.

Are there numerous other companies investing a significant portion of their development cycle to bring you fine high-enders things like R128 adaptive volume, memory playback, and working directly with key audiophile experts to bring these high-ender features to you?  The upgrade cost is so minute and insignificant (esp. when compared against your gear) that the few complaints just don't make much sense to me to personally.  I couldn't care less about many of the features that are worked on each cycle, but I feel it is in my best interest to recognize and reward excellence (and I've gotten more than my share of support and features).  The alternative is a race to the bottom, and companies that actively listen and respond to their customers will be a dying breed.

MrC you present so much sense and good logic. Spock would bless you with "live long and prosper".

Each to their own how they ride. I'm happy to be at the front of the pack, enjoying the wind blowing across my face. No racing to the bottom for me.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:56 am »

It's a shame I missed out on so much of JRiver. Finding MC18 by accident only a few months ago. At that time I got mad because I had just purchased at full price and then the version for the mac hit and those users were offered half price. I complained here.

Now I am THRILLED to be in on the SALE of MC19 and was THRILLED to get a email from JRiver asking me if I was interested.

And I agree with the poster speaking of MrC.  He is a HUGE VALUE to JRiver and I sure hope they appreciate him!

and thanks JRiver for the discount to MC19...enough said...

patrick

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 04:20:33 am »

I love the dev cycle method that JR uses.  It is the only one that keeps pushing out new features with releases every week.  No need to wait to the "next" release to get our hands on the goodies.  I wish others would do this.
JRiver CEO Elect

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 05:11:15 am »

I agree the development cycle works for me and cannot wait for Aug for MC19.
Pages: [1]   Go Up