INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Can I Output like this: Bi-amp Fronts, Centre Channel, No Surrounds.  (Read 2038 times)

newguy1

• Recent member

Hi All:

I've got a ASUS Xonar Xense soundcard that I am outputting directly to my Carver five channel amp via multichannel out.

How can I create a 3.0 output with the SR/SL being used to bi-amp the fronts?

Thanks,

David

newguy1

• Recent member

I've been able to bi-amp it using a 4-channel output and using the SR/SL for the second output.

No idea how to setup for the centre channel though.

natehansen66

• World Citizen

What is it you mean when you say "bi-amp"? I know what it means and it could be taken to mean several things so it would be nice to know exactly what you're trying to accomplish.

I have a little tutorial in this thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75303.msg510479#msg510479 that shows how to route channels in the PEQ, which I think is what you're looking for.

newguy1

• Recent member

Thanks for the response!  I understand the basics of routing, I think that what I am trying to understand is more along the lines of upmixing stereo to create a centre channel for tv/movies through jriver.  I haven't looked too much into it yet, but I think that I can set different zones, one for tv/movies (with real centre) and one zone for music (bi-amped stereo).

By bi-amp, I mean bi-amped.  I've got a five channel amp, 1 goes to Left tweet/mid, 2 goes to left woofer, 3 for center, 4 & 5 right side (as left).  Currently I have each top and bottom eq'ed separately through REW measurements, with a further overall eq with both channels running.  It sounds pretty awesome and the quality of sound destroys my old Lexicon MC1 and preamp of Pioneer Elite.

I would like to upmix stereo and downmix 5.1 to a 3.0 arrangement.

newguy1

• Recent member

Bump.....

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

All of the following instructions take place in DSP Studio

Output Format
Channels:  For 2.0>3.0 or 5.1>3.0 set to 5.1 Channels
Mixing:  JRSS mixing

2.0>3.0
Parametric Equalizer
Add Mix Channels, Copy Right to Surround Left
Add Mix Channels, Copy Right to Surround Right
Add Mix Channels, Copy Left to Right
Add High Pass Filter to Left and Surround Left and set your frequency
Add Low Pass Filter to Right and Surround Right and set your frequency

Note:  With JRSS upmixing, the mains keep the original content and the center and surrounds are matrixed. Since you don't have surrounds, the settings I provided copy the right channel to the surrounds and the left channel to the right channel. The left speaker is now comprised of Left and Right and the Right Speaker is comprised of Surround Left and Surround Right.

5.1>3.0
Parametric Equalizer
Add Mix Channels, Add Surround Left to Left
Add Mix Channels, Add Surround Right to Right
Add Mix Channels, Copy Right to Surround Left
Add Mix Channels, Copy Right to Surround Right
Add Mix Channels, Copy Left to Right
Add High Pass Filter to Left and Surround Left and set your frequency
Add Low Pass Filter to Right and Surround Right and set your frequency

I like to be able to easily turn mixing and/or frequency correction on/off for testing. For this reason, I recommend using Parametric Equalizer for the mixing and Parametric Equalizer 2 for the EQ filters.

This setup leave channel 4 as output for the subwoofer in case you add one later. Just connect the Surround Left and the Surround Right (channels 5 & 6) to channels 4 & 5 on your amplifier for the right speaker.

Pages: [1]   Go Up