INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Install problem  (Read 3762 times)

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
Install problem
« on: August 16, 2013, 06:40:55 am »

Hi I have a spare machine here and I installed a fresh Windows 7. I tried to install MC19 and extracts the files and closes. No errors, just closes. After that I tried MC18: same problem. After that I tried MC17: this one installs and works fine.

I have a similar problem trying to install a MC18 trial in my friends's computer. But in this computer there was an APPCRASH error. Again, in his computer we were able to install and run MC17 trial!!

So seems to be some incompatibility in the install package for MC18 and MC19 with some computers. Any tips to solve it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Install problem
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:44:29 am »

These kinds of problems almost always turn out to be related to "security" software.  Virus checker, etc.

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 06:46:27 am »

Thanks for replying.
It is a fresh Windows 7 installation, no anti virus installed!!! Any other tips?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 07:32:47 am »

Did you install anything other than Windows?

Did you let Windows install updates?

Are the drivers up to date?

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »

Did you install anything other than Windows?

Did you let Windows install updates?

Are the drivers up to date?

Only Windows installed. First I tried to install before any update: same problems. After that Windows installed all updates: same problems.

Only MC17 installs...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 01:33:10 pm »

What keyboard?  English?

What about drivers?

Is it an older machine?  Anything unusual?

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 03:17:18 pm »

What keyboard?  English?

What about drivers?

Is it an older machine?  Anything unusual?

English keyboard. Correct drivers. It is an older machine. Semprom 2800+ 741GX ECS mainboard. I tried to install other softwares. Everything works fine, but I cannot install MC18 and MC19, only MC17. MC17 trial is working fine. My friend's computer is an old Dell. MC17 trial also installs and works fine, but MC18 and MC19 install gives an appcrash message.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 03:21:53 pm »

How old is the machine?  If possible, what's the exact CPU?  I'm wondering if our SSE requirement could be too high for some very old CPUs.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »

How old is the machine?  If possible, what's the exact CPU?  I'm wondering if our SSE requirement could be too high for some very old CPUs.

Hi, it is an AMD Semprom 2800+. It runs the MC17 just fine. Seems the problem is in the installation part as it shows the extracting window. When it reaches 100%, it closes and that's it.

In MC17 installation, it shows the same extracting window when it reaches 100%, it shows a new window asking to launch install.exe from a temp folder and after that it shows the install wizard and everything goes fine.

So I think it may be something that has changed in the installation package from version 17 to 18/19.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 05:26:37 pm »

Could you try using 7-zip to extract the files manually, then run Install.exe from the extracted files?

Here's a link to the 7-zip tool if you need one:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Thanks.

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 06:14:00 pm »

Could you try using 7-zip to extract the files manually, then run Install.exe from the extracted files?

Here's a link to the 7-zip tool if you need one:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Thanks.

Hi,

I just did that. Extracted the files and tried to run Install.exe. Nothing happens!!! Seems that it runs and closes by itself in the backgroung, no errors, no window, nothing.

So I decided to extract the files from MC17 using 7-zip too. I tried to run install.exe and it works. So maybe some incompatible stuff in the install.exe in MC18/19?

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 12:35:29 am »

Hi again,

I'm thinking the problem is the SSE requirements too... Maybe even the installer is requiring SSE2 or higher. Don't you think they should compile it to run in processors with simple SSE?
This computer is old, but it would make a great headless server for multiroom audio working with a M Audio Delta 410. I think my friend's computer that is crashing is a SSE only processor too.

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 01:52:03 am »

The problem was the SSE2. Switched to a Pentium 4 CPU and now it is working.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 09:53:57 am »

It's not intentional to require SSE.  However, Visual Studio 2012 (the compiler we use on Windows) may require this now.

Unfortunately we don't have any hardware old enough to investigate.  SSE2 was added in 2001.

If anyone knows how to configure VirtualBox to not offer SSE instructions inside a bottle, please share.

nickba

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:46 am »

It's not intentional to require SSE.  However, Visual Studio 2012 (the compiler we use on Windows) may require this now.

Unfortunately we don't have any hardware old enough to investigate.  SSE2 was added in 2001.

If anyone knows how to configure VirtualBox to not offer SSE instructions inside a bottle, please share.

Hi, I think Visual Studio requires a command to compile SSE compatible code. Without it, it compiles to SSE2.
I know SSE2 is old, but even some 2005/2006 machines with AMD, don't have it. Maybe it is a good move to let the installer check if the machine has the SSE2, SSE3, etc and install the appropriate code.
Pages: [1]   Go Up