INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound quirk - Not sure if this is an issue or not  (Read 3243 times)

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
Sound quirk - Not sure if this is an issue or not
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:16:49 pm »

I have not tested this in MC18 yet, but in MC19 versions .29 and .31, I am hearing/seeing this issue.

The first played song (after startup of the system), or the song you play AFTER hitting the stop button (square in Playing Now in JRemote, or Stop Button in MC), starts out with low volume and then increases for 5-10 seconds until it reaches the proper level.   If I hit PAUSE and play the same song again, it does not have low volume to start.   If I then hit STOP and play the same song again, it starts out with low volume then it increases up.

Tried both Startup Options (in Options) for Optimize Sound or Set the level to 100%, same issue.

I plan to test in MC18 tonight after work, but I do not remember hearing/having this happen in 18.   I will also get out my Rat Shack Meter to see what the difference is.

Dan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound quirk - Not sure if this is an issue or not
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:42:05 pm »

Make sure you have 19.0.31 on both sides if you're using two PC's.

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 01:59:58 pm »

Jim,

Thanks for the reply. 

Just one PC being used (Server) for MC.  Running Parallel for 18 & 19.  18 service and MC are shutdown when using 19.

Also running latest version of 19.   When I hit the STOP button in MC19, I am on the Server.   Same thing occurs if I hit STOP button in MC or JRemote (yes I know JRemote has its own thread).

Like I stated, I will check MC18 to see if this same issue was there or not.

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:36 pm »

Okay...I was able to do some more testing between MC18 and MC19 with the start-up low volume sound issue i ran into.  Not a big deal as long as I just PAUSE and do not hit STOP, but something that I noticed when I upgraded to 19 and it happens with either .29 or .31 version.

BTW, the song I am using is by Lee Ritenour from his "6 String Theory" album.  The song = "68"  Song starts out strong and hard, so a good one to use for testing volume level at start.

This is with MC19:

- Closed MC and stopped all services
- Restarted Service and started MC
- Play Song
- Rad Shack Meter shows 58-60dB to start
- 15-18 seconds later the song is at 64db
- PAUSE Song (vertical equal)
- Play song from beginning
- 64-66dB right away
- STOP song (square)
- 58-60dB to start
- 15-18 seconds later the song is at 64db
- 64-66dB right away

Shutdown all of MC19 - MC and Services.   Start up MC18 and its service.  Make sure nothing from MC19 is running.

This is for MC18

- MC18 up and running
- Play Song
- Rad Shack Meter shows 64-66dB to start
- 64-66dB right away
- STOP song (square)
- 64-66dB to start

No issue with MC18 with either PAUSE or STOP or starting fresh, just in MC19

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:29:49 pm »

Perhaps you turned on 'Adaptive Volume' in DSP Studio?  It uses an adaptive gain when playing files that aren't analyzed.

Audio Path is good for these sorts of things, because it reports any and all changes:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:16:34 pm »

Perhaps you turned on 'Adaptive Volume' in DSP Studio?  It uses an adaptive gain when playing files that aren't analyzed.
I have Adaptive but I have analyzed all my files under MC19.   And it does this on ANY file either first play or if you push STOP.  Not just same file over and over.

Not a big thing to me, I can live with it if this is what it is supposed to do.   Just trying to note items which are different from 18 to 19.

Audio Path is good for these sorts of things, because it reports any and all changes:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path
Thanks for the note - I have seen that before.

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 10:31:59 am »

From what I understand this isn't intended behavior if your files are analyzed.  We found a problem in "Adaptive Volume" that might be causing this.  Thanks for the report.

EDIT: The problem has been corrected and will be in the next build.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:17:43 pm »

EDIT: The problem has been corrected and will be in the next build.
I see .32 is out, but no mention of audio.  So I will wait until .33 is out.

Thank you for the report and glad to help out.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:32:32 pm »

If this problem was with DLNA, that one should be fixed.

dtb300

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 09:36:07 am »

From what I understand this isn't intended behavior if your files are analyzed.  We found a problem in "Adaptive Volume" that might be causing this.  Thanks for the report.  EDIT: The problem has been corrected and will be in the next build.
I am currently running 19.0.49 and I am still experiencing the Low Volume at song start up then the volume picks up (increases) in 10-15 second window.  Again this happens only after hitting STOP, not after PAUSE (see thread above for full details of my testing - Post #3).

I was asked if I was using Adaptive Volume - and at this time, yes.   I had tried Volume Leveling without Adaptive, but results were not as good.

All files have been (re)Analyzed with version 19 for R128 values.

Back when MC was just using ReplayGain with Volume Leveling, the low starting volume was not an issue. Back using ReplayGain the volume levels between songs was handled better - not as many drastic differences (now in 19 try the Lee Album I mention and Peter Gabriel "Love to be Loved" - there is a significant difference in volume playback level).  

Maybe a new feature is to add back an old feature - when selecting Volume Leveling ask if you want to use ReplayGain or R128.  If using ReplayGain then Adaptive Volume should be disabled so one cannot use it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up