INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD output level in MC19 (mbishopsfx)  (Read 3268 times)

mbishopsfx

• Recent member
DSD output level in MC19 (mbishopsfx)
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:03:38 am »

Worked great this time.  Thanks!

I am playing DSD (DSF) files only with MC out to a DSD-capable Playback Designs MPD-5 DAC via USB-X interface.  There can be no change to the DSD data of any kind allowed by MC during playback.  I have all the settings in MC19 the same (I think) as I have set up in MC17.  However, playback through MC19 is about 4dB lower than that of the same files through MC17.

Would you please review all the items needed to be set in Options to achieve DSD playback with no changes to the file data?  I must have missed something.  I have an email from Matt with all these settings, but cannot locate it now.

Many thanks again!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSD output level in MC19 (mbishopsfx)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:08:32 am »

Nice to see you here Michael.

A good starting point is to check the 'Audio Path' when playing:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Path

If it reports that it's bitstreaming DSD and no changes are listed, it's basically impossible for us to be changing the level.

It it reports that it's playing PCM, that could explain the level difference.

If you jumped from MC17 to MC19, you might need to reconfigure your audio output in Options > Audio.  Settings are only auto-migrated when you do an MC18 to MC19 upgrade, but not when you jump two versions.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mbishopsfx

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:30:21 pm »

Thanks, Matt.

I found the Output Format box checked.  I unchecked it and all is OK now.  DSP confirms it's playing DSD with no change.

Thanks again!  Are you going to RMAF or the NY AES shows?

Best Wishes,
Michael

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 01:35:58 pm »

Thanks, Matt.

I found the Output Format box checked.  I unchecked it and all is OK now.  DSP confirms it's playing DSD with no change.

Glad to hear it's working.  If you're bitstreaming, it shouldn't matter what's checked in DSP Studio.  The program automatically bypasses any processing (including volume) when bitstreaming.

Thanks again!  Are you going to RMAF or the NY AES shows?

I'll be at RMAF, but not AES.

I saw you couldn't make RMAF this year.  Maybe you could send me your $3 Android speaker ball and I could demo it for the audiophiles!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up