INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO - Device uses only most significant 24-bits  (Read 4430 times)

BEZMan

• Recent member
ASIO - Device uses only most significant 24-bits
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:40:07 am »

Hi all!

I have a quick question around that option for ASIO: "Device uses only most significant 24-bits".

I have read up all the threads around volume adjusting and dithering, and understand that this option is supposed to be relevant only when some DSP functions are activated (hence requiring dithering of the data).

My question is: how do I figure out if my system needs it checked or not?

I have a Music Fidelity V-link 192 (USB to SPDIF converter) that connects to a Nuforce HDP.... I am pretty sure the HDP only does 24bits (but wrapped in 32bits) but I have no idea if I have to check that option or not - not even sure what the V-link 192 will do in the chain . My gut feeling tells me that yes, since dithering on last 32th bit is not going to do much, but I could not find any info of Music Fidelity or NuForce's website / forum?

Anybody would have experience with these devices or at least know how to test for that?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ASIO - Device uses only most significant 24-bits
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 11:55:08 am »

Welcome.

This might help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83514.0

However, the only person that can answer for sure is the ASIO driver developer, so it might be worth asking the Music Fidelity guys.

Keep in mind that the 24th bit is probably way past what the hardware can actually use anyway.  To get an appreciation of the importance of bits past 14 or 15, try this:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74999
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BEZMan

• Recent member
Re: ASIO - Device uses only most significant 24-bits
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:12:36 pm »

Thanks a lot Matt - I will ask Music Fidelity then and report back if they get back to me!

For now I will leave it checked I guess... I guess it cannot hurt to leave it on right?

If we dither at 24bits vs 32 bits (but the DAC dither at 24 bits), the only potential downside could be double-dithering at 24bits which is not that bad... I guess ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up