INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Teac UD-501 and JRiver 19  (Read 12465 times)

rael71

• World Citizen
Teac UD-501 and JRiver 19
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:13:05 pm »

Hi,

I'm seriously considering to buy the Teac UD-501 DAC so I read several thread but (maybe I'm a little dumb ?) I cannot understand if the teac works well or not with JRiver with PCM and in particular with DSD.

Can anyone who have experience with JRiver 19 and  UD-501 pairing tell me something about it (overall impressions, eventual problems, best settings to play PCm and DSD, etc)?

Thank you in advance and bye!

Andrea

Bye!

Andrea

lmf22

• Recent member
Re: Teac UD-501 and JRiver 19
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:45 pm »

I had the TEAC UD-501 for the past month.  It works well with JRiver.  Initially, people were not able to use JRiver's 2xDSD, but someone found a workaround (http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/09/howto-getting-jriver-mc19-2xdsd.html).  The DAC works well with both PCM and DSD, but DSD is especially good.  At the moment DSD only works if you use DoP output (it should sound the same as native DSD). 

Overall impressions: I think the UD-501 is an excellent deal, even at the full retail price of $850.  I have seen it as low as $795 (new) and about $700 used.  The DAC has a nice smooth and slightly warm sound.  Someone on Head-Fi mentioned this may be the analog lover's DAC, and I agree (I have the Clearaudio Concept turntable and Audio Research PH6 phonostage).  I used to have the Benchmark DAC2 D ($1795), and sold it after getting the TEAC.

Problems: No real problems.  One annoyance is that if the source is disconnected (e.g., when you are using USB input and turn off your computer for the night) the display will flash "USB unconnected!" in the brightest setting.  I like to leave DACs on 24/7 so having the display flash like that is annoying.  There is no way to turn it off, but you can turn off the display when the source is connected. 

Best settings: This is highly dependent on your system and personal preference.  For PCM (e.g., when watching TV/movies) I use Upsampling OFF and the SLOW filter.  For DSD I like the FIR3 filter.  If you want more detailed sound, try the SHARP filter for PCM, and the FIR2 filter for DSD.  For music listening, I highly recommend using JRiver's 2xDSD upsample (at the moment it is not possible to output DSD for videos). 

Maybe I can better assist you if you have more specific question.

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:33:46 am »

Hi,

thank you for your kind and exhaustive answer.

I've just a couple more questions:
Any problems with gapless playing?
For the "USB unconnected" issue, I wonder if switching to another DAC input when PC is turned OFF stops the DAC flashing, can you please tell me if it's true?

Thanks again and bye

Andrea

Bye!

Andrea

lmf22

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:50:24 pm »

I've just a couple more questions:
Any problems with gapless playing?
For the "USB unconnected" issue, I wonder if switching to another DAC input when PC is turned OFF stops the DAC flashing, can you please tell me if it's true?

No problems with gapless playback.  In JRiver I set switch tracks to gapless.  Works well with movie soundtracks where the end of on track leads to the next.  No pauses between tracks.

If I switch to another input (for example optical) it would just flash "OPT1 UNLOCK!"

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 07:38:23 am »

Good news ablout gapless playback

One truly last question about something I'm just read on the Internet about the Teac.

Someone tells abot a loud click when you change playing from PCM to DSD or from DSD to PCM files; I've learned that's a problem for several DSD DACs.
In your system do you have the same problem?

Thanks so much!
Bye!

Andrea

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:37:09 am »

Would this be a mechanical tick (relais) or over the speakers?

Either way, I only hear a click when I turn it on :), there are no loud ticks or clicks during playback.

I've heard some ticks, on stop/pause or skipping through a song but I had that without the DAC as well and they are not loud, mostly audible with headphones.

lmf22

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 10:43:11 am »

Someone tells abot a loud click when you change playing from PCM to DSD or from DSD to PCM files; I've learned that's a problem for several DSD DACs.
In your system do you have the same problem?

I do now hear any clicks (mechanical or on speakers) when going from PCM to DSD or vice versa (both original DSD files and upsampled 2xDSD). 

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 11:23:23 am »

I do now hear any clicks (mechanical or on speakers) when going from PCM to DSD or vice versa (both original DSD files and upsampled 2xDSD).

Excuse me "I do now" or "I do not".....?
Bye!

Andrea

lmf22

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »

Excuse me "I do now" or "I do not".....?

Opps!!!  I meant I do NOT hear any clicks. 
I think it was too early for me when I typed that.

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 06:06:08 pm »

Ok! Thank you for the good news.  :)

Probably soon I will join you as a owner of The Teac UD-501!

Bye

Andrea
Bye!

Andrea

lmf22

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 03:13:27 pm »

Probably soon I will join you as a owner of The Teac UD-501!

Be sure to give the DAC enough burn-in time before critical listening.  After the first 50-100 hours you will hear large improvements, but I would say give it about 200 hours.  Between 200 and 300 hours the changes are more subtle.  Mine is at about 400 hours of music playing through it, but it has been ON since I bought it a little more than a month ago (about 720 hours).

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 03:40:03 pm »

Be sure to give the DAC enough burn-in time before critical listening.  After the first 50-100 hours you will hear large improvements, but I would say give it about 200 hours.  Between 200 and 300 hours the changes are more subtle.  Mine is at about 400 hours of music playing through it, but it has been ON since I bought it a little more than a month ago (about 720 hours).

I would estimate I have about 100 hours on mine...and yes - it seems to be getting better with every passing day. It's definitely the first DAC that I have ever heard that actually makes current crappy brickwalled music - tolerable.

For those albums where the mastering has been done right - this thing is a dream. I use mine as a headphone only station in my office - in concert with Audio Technica ATH-M50 phones...sweet.

Cheers,

VP

rael71

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 04:44:03 pm »

Do you think that could be useful for the breaking-in to play a CD in repeat with a  CDplayer connected via SPDIF to the DAC in the daytime when I'm at work (obviously with amplifier OFF) or does it need to play  with PC->USB with amplifier ON as I normally would do?

With this system I could do more or less 555-60 hours of breaking-in for each working week.... 8)

Bye!

Andrea

lmf22

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »

Do you think that could be useful for the breaking-in to play a CD in repeat with a  CDplayer connected via SPDIF to the DAC in the daytime when I'm at work (obviously with amplifier OFF) or does it need to play  with PC->USB with amplifier ON as I normally would do?

With this system I could do more or less 555-60 hours of breaking-in for each working week.... 8)

I do not know if the separate inputs need separate burn-in, but I think you should use the USB input for burn-in if that is your main connection.  It is possible that the USB input chip also need burn-in. 

I would not recommend using a CD player for burn-in because continuously playing it will significantly shorten the life of the drive/motor in your CD player.  Do you an old laptop?  Maybe plug USB into that and set a couple of albums on random and repeat.

WillyCAD

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 10:08:24 pm »

I just purchased this TEAC unit - should be here in less than a week.  Bought it used from Audiogon member.  Most of my files are 24/96k or 24/192k WAV and some FLAC and ALAC.  Once I install and do the drivers, anything special I need to do in JRiver?  I have JRMC19 latest version.  I am excited.... hope this is my last DAC!
Pages: [1]   Go Up