INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using JRiver to play high bitrate SACD .ISO files with DSP...or convert to Flac  (Read 10703 times)

attndef

Just discovered that JRiver mac will play my .iso files from SACD rips straight up and separate the tracks, which is awesome, way to go JRiver (had the program for a month now and I love it)

My question is: These .iso files have super high bitrates like 64/352.8, my dac (like most dacs) only handles up to 24/192. So JRiver resamples with its DSP. Would it better better practice to convert the .iso's to flac at bitrate my Dac can handle like 24bit/88,2 kHz or allow JRiver to do the DSP thing.

any input would be great.

Thanks!

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You could do that, playing SACD ISO's requires a little more CPU resources than playing Flacs, and flac files are handled better in the sense that they fully support tagging and cover art embedding etc. I'm not sure if there's any benefit playing SACD ISO's if your DAC doesn't support DSD.

However, I wouldn't delete the ISO's (back them up/archive them or whatever).

You may also want to investigate whether some of your SACD ISO's are actually upsamples from PCM 44.1/48 kHz sources and save yourself some diskspace. A source here and here might help.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen

I have a good number of DSF files which originated from SACDs. Assuming your DAC cannot play them back as native DSD files, and that you are  having JRiver convert them to PCM files, 24/176.4 playback is all you need to enjoy them properly. So unless there is some other reason you wish to take advantage of the FLAC format, I see no reason for you to convert them.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

attndef

Thanks for the input. When I play the .iso files from SACD's which are at 64bit/352.8KHz, the JRiver DSP is set to convert to 176.4KHz, this uses 13-15% CPU on my machine...not to bad.  All the other settings on JRiver are default except I have the "Play From memory Instead of Disk" option selected and the jriver volume is disabled of course. Any other settings I should be aware of within the program?
Pages: [1]   Go Up