INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mc19 to ipad setup  (Read 4353 times)

Stuntflyer

• Recent member
mc19 to ipad setup
« on: September 28, 2013, 09:39:35 am »

Can anyone tell me how setup mc19 located on my home pc running win 7 so I can see the library on my iPad? I want to playback to my hi-fi from the iPad.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: mc19 to ipad setup
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:16:19 pm »

You might need to do a bit of research on the Wiki FAQ http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions, for example the Media Network topic.

For seeing and browsing your MC library on an iPad, you've probably got four choices:

1. Use WebGizmo, which is a browser-based remote control for MC and included with it, details are in the Wiki.

2. Buy the JRemote app, which is a third party native iOS remote control app, not created by JRiver (see its dedicated thread on the third Party board http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=79104.0)

3. Use a remote-desktop product to access MC directly from the iPad, e.g. Splashtop.

4. Enable MC's DLNA server and use a UPnP/DLNA controller app on the iPad.

For sending music to your hi-fi, here are some options.

1. Use a remote control app or DLNA controller app such as the ones mentioned above, use them to play music on the PC, and hook-up your PC's audio output to the hi-fi, or

2. Use them to stream to the iPad and hook up your iPad to the hi-fi, or

3. Use them to stream to the iPad and use Airplay to send to the hi-fi, if your hi-fi is Airplay

4. Use them to send music directly to the hi-fi from the MC PC, bypassing the iPad, if your hi-fi is a DLNA renderer (which will appear as a play-to zone in MC).

Stuntflyer

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 07:37:26 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding hooking-up my PC's audio output to the hi-fi, My files are flac in both 16 and 24 bit. I'm using a NAD T748 receiver and floor standing speakers. It would be nice to play music directly from mc to the hi-fi and bypass the iPad if desired. Do I need additional components to do this?

csimon

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:05:08 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. Regarding hooking-up my PC's audio output to the hi-fi, My files are flac in both 16 and 24 bit. I'm using a NAD T748 receiver and floor standing speakers. It would be nice to play music directly from mc to the hi-fi and bypass the iPad if desired. Do I need additional components to do this?

If the receiver is a DLNA Renderer and is networked then it will appear as a Zone in MC which you can select and play to directly from MC, bypassing the iPad. WebGimzo and JRemote both display the available zones so you can select it from the iPad.

If it is not a DLNA Renderer then you can buy a small media-streaming box, such as the WD TV Live, which is networked and has SPDIF and analog outputs for connection to the amp - you then play-to this device which is in effect your receiver.

If the receiver acts as a USB DAC then you can connect it to the PC via USB, and MC will see it as an audio device to play-to directly.

Failing that, connect your amp directly the PC audio output.

Stuntflyer

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »

Thanks again. .

With regard to connecting my amp directly to the PC audio output. . .

1. The motherboard has a digital audio out connector. Should I use this?

2. Or, would something like the ASUS Xonar Essence ST sound card be a better way to go? It has a connection for digital coax.

I need to run the cable 25-30 feet(the distance from the PC to the receiver).

csimon

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »

If you've already got digital out on the motherboard then I don't see the point of getting another sound card. I don't know how far a digital audio signal would travel, but there may be baluns available for carrying digital audio over CAT5 for longer distances.

Stuntflyer

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:12:09 pm »

Thanks! I certainly have a lot of info to sift through now. In mc I use both "composer" and "artist" fields since sometimes the composers music is played by a particular artist. What got me started on all this was that I recently purchased a NAS, Bluesound, iPad and the Bluesound app. The Bluesound app doesn't have all the fields I need to search music, specifically "composer". This has forced me to change the entries that I make on the NAS music where "artist" is now listed the composer. Now I have 2 different library's which is really time consuming to maintain. I'm happy to use the iPad, but I want my library to show up properly on the iPad. I need to see both fields on whatever app I use on the iPad. The Bluesound seems to be proprietary since it only uses it's app. My receiver isn't dlna which is another problem. Thanks for all your help. Mike

Stuntflyer

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:27:03 am »

I returned the Bluesound product and would like to get the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 Network Player to replace it.

I have JRiver mc 19 on my home PC with an attached Buffalo NAS via Ethernet to my wireless Fios router.

With the Stream Magic 6 and the computer "off" can I control my music playing to my hi-fi by using JRemote on an Ipad?

csimon

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »

I returned the Bluesound product and would like to get the Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 Network Player to replace it.

I have JRiver mc 19 on my home PC with an attached Buffalo NAS via Ethernet to my wireless Fios router.

With the Stream Magic 6 and the computer "off" can I control my music playing to my hi-fi by using JRemote on an Ipad?

No, JRemote requires an instance of MC running on a Windows PC (or Mac, or Linux PC...) to connect to, it's a remote control for MC.

If the NAS contains a DLNA server then you can use that together with a DLNA controller app on the iPad, but then this is not using MC at all!

Stuntflyer

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:04 pm »

I see!

My NAS contains a DLNA server. Could you please suggest what would be a good DLNA controller app for the iPad?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 01:07:58 pm »

Maybe this thread and

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84073.0

can be merged.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

csimon

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »

I haven't kept up recently with DLNA apps but I always used Plugplayer which, at the time, was probably the best. I've heard mention of BubbleUPNP too but I'm not sure if that's an iOS or Android app. However, if you're definitely going to get the Cambridge Audio device, I think its own iOS controller app allows you to connect to a DLNA server and stream files to it, you'll need to investigate that.  But with a generic DLNA server you may be limited as to how you can categorise your collection, some are pretty basic and only allow you standard Album/Artist/Genre structures.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 01:11:44 pm »

AirAV works as a DLNA controller / renderer.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up