INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Sub Type not detecting my movies correctly  (Read 6314 times)

abuck

• Recent member
Media Sub Type not detecting my movies correctly
« on: September 29, 2013, 03:43:52 pm »

I'm using JRiver 19.0.45 and The Media sub type doesn't seem to work correctly. I have a bunch of TV Show that appears unter the Unassigned and in the movie media sub type. I loaded a metadata programm (MetaX) to make sure my tv shows was actualy tv show and both MetaX and ITunes says it's TV Show.

Look like there is a bug in the media sub type filter in JRiver...See screenshots...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Media Sub Type not detecting my movies correctly
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 05:21:32 pm »

You can edit the Media Subtype tag.

Where did the shows come from?  What were they recorded with?

abuck

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:18:54 pm »

I've re-encoded them with xmedia recode. I'm getting shows within my movie tab (in JRiver) as well which is wrong.

Which metadata does JRiver look to detect if it's a Movie or TV Show or Unassigned ?

Like I said, if I load my shows with xmedia or itunes, I'm getting the right content type... I would like to attach one of my show but it's 2GB...quite large :(

abuck

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:05:40 am »

Is there any other place to fill a bug report or it's basically here and dev will pick this thing up for the next version... ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 07:10:23 am »

You could add a link to this thread in the thread that announced the build.  Make sure you're using the latest.  It's currently 18.0.45.

You might be able to solve your problem by setting up rules for import.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:38:39 pm »

If you're serious about using MC and never having this problem again, read the following thread. The tag that MC uses is [Media Subtype]:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68462.0

abuck

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:41:41 am »

Well, the import tag seem to be a work-around, isn't ? Since two of my other program detect the proper tv show, it seems logical that it's JRiver bug. I should not need to re-tag it, really...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:55:02 am »

Well, the import tag seem to be a work-around, isn't ? Since two of my other program detect the proper tv show, it seems logical that it's JRiver bug. I should not need to re-tag it, really...

An unimplemented feature is not the same as a bug, which is a flaw in an implemented feature.

Instead of the passive aggressive approach, just politely ask for a feature to be implemented.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:19:37 pm »

Do the files have tags?

If not, MC has to guess, using Carnac, about the media subtype.  Carnac will probably guess movie for a two hour long m4v in a folder called videos\PUA\. 

Carnac could guess better if you used a "TV", "Television", "Shows", etc. folder for television.

Or you could use the tools listed above to remove any guessing.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:25:23 pm »

btw. MetaX uses TagChimp, which is a user contribution movie / show tagging database.

abuck

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 10:15:30 pm »

An unimplemented feature is not the same as a bug, which is a flaw in an implemented feature.

Instead of the passive aggressive approach, just politely ask for a feature to be implemented.

I don't think my comment was aggressive, sorry if it was, that was not the intent :) Since it has the logic to switch from show or movie, I thought it was really a bug. I do beleive that my shows/movies have tags, how can I double check this ?

I've tried to google with Carnac  but didn't seem to find anything, would it be possible to send me the link.

and btw, I'm here to help and make JR a better product, not to pass agressive comment :) I think providing usefull feedback is somethere great for a product owner/admin stand point.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 10:25:31 pm »

You can check the Tag Action Window with one of your videos selected.  Or you can post the Sidecar file that might be created along side the video, as it contains the relevant data.

Carnac is described here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 10:26:10 pm »

I don't think my comment was aggressive, sorry if it was, that was not the intent :) Since it has the logic to switch from show or movie, I thought it was really a bug. I do beleive that my shows/movies have tags, how can I double check this ?

I've tried to google with Carnac  but didn't seem to find anything, would it be possible to send me the link.

and btw, I'm here to help and make JR a better product, not to pass agressive comment :) I think providing usefull feedback is somethere great for a product owner/admin stand point.

Good to know. :)
This is Carnac: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

It is built-in to MC, and was written from scratch in the MC17 days.
In MC's standard view (in list mode - kinda like an old iTunes view), you can click on the column headings and choose which tags to display. There you can choose Media Subtype, and see what the MC-readable tags are.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 10:27:09 pm »

You can check the Tag Action Window with one of your videos selected.  Or you can post the Sidecar file that might be created along side the video, as it contains the relevant data.

Carnac is described here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

*Shaking my fist*
40 seconds....

abuck

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:04:37 pm »

ok... did more investigation tonight.

I think the issue is that JRiver uses another field to save the media sub type for mp4 files. It seems that JRiver should update the ITUNEMEDIATYPE metadata as well as its own media sub type for mp4 files only. What's happening is that I have a out-of-sync metadata where JRiver sub type is shows and itunemediatype is movie, for example.

Would be nice if it can change the itunemediatype (feature request) when changing jriver sub media type.

https://code.google.com/p/mp4v2/wiki/iTunesMetadata

I've used mp3tag to view the raw metadata and I can see that changing the type in JRiver does not affect the itunemediatype metada, which explains my problem.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 07:07:15 pm »

Nice detective work.

We'll have Yaobing, our MP4 expert, take a look.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

abuck

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 08:54:10 pm »

thanks,

Just noticed that I have the same problem with the Series name as well where the itune metadata for tv show name doesn't match the jriver series name. Updating one does not update the other one and vise versa.

abuck

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »

update #2,

doing more investigation lead me to this conclusion: JRiver use external file (.xml) to store metadata but in .m4v, you don't need to have external file for the sub type, show, season, etc because m4v can store metadata inside the file, this is why I've choosed m4v, so I can avoid external metadata dependencies.

I think the update tag for m4v should be revisited / feature implemented so it uses the internal metadata.

The reason behind this is that If I change metadata from jriver, I could just load it to itunes or vise versa.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 05:55:44 pm »

As a first step, I added this (to appear in an upcoming build soon):

1. NEW: MC will import Apple "media type" ('stik' atom) value from mp4/m4v/m4a files, and map it to "Media Sub Type" field in MC.

This will import media sub types from mp4 files.  MC still does not write tags to video files, and "Media Sub Type" is not written even for audio files.

Only the following values are mapped: Movie, Music, Audiobook, Music Video, TV Show, and Ringtone.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 07:34:04 pm »

For syncing to iTunes for iDevices, it would be nice if Media Sub Type was written for Audiobooks, at least.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

rjm

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 07:46:31 pm »

For syncing to iTunes for iDevices, it would be nice if Media Sub Type was written for Audiobooks, at least.
+1
Pages: [1]   Go Up