INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right-click menu in empty list-type field does not work at all  (Read 3745 times)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Right-click menu in empty list-type field does not work at all
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:11:08 pm »

In list-type fields like Actors, Director etc. the right-click menu does not work at all if the field is empty and it only works if right-clicking the existing item.
This is certainly a bug as it does not make any sense, makes filling empty fields very painful and above all it does work in MC18 - there the menu works anywhere within the field.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Right-click menu in empty list-type field does not work at all
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:00:06 pm »

bump

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:35:31 am »

Not fixed in 19.0.58

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 06:16:09 am »

sorry can not reproduce this problem

Are you sure you have set the tag window to show the fields you want to see without values? A menu does appear. Tagging for lists has been improved even for version 19.

if you are not using the tag window (F2 on a line in detail mode) and you are referring to editing commands like copy etc) these will be blank if you have nothing in your clipboard ... try using Ctrl+C +V +X  and see if you still have the problem.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 06:47:22 am »

The problem I refer to is different (see the screenshots). The right-click menu works only when right-clicking the already existing item. As I wrote before this must be a bug as it does not make any sense and makes filling an empty field a real pain. In MC18 it worked just fine e.g. you could right-click anywhere within the field, use "Edit all with text editor" and go on.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 12:28:09 pm »

Still not fixed (19.0.66)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »

Still not fixed (19.0.74)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:35:50 am »

Still not fixed (19.0.82)
 ::)

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 11:44:50 pm »

Still not fixed (19.0.87)
 ?  :(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:45:38 pm »

I can replicate this, and understand which right-click menu you're talking about.

My question is... What selections in the Right-Click menu there do you use regularly when editing List Type tags, where there is nothing to right click on?  Is it the Paste From Clipboard?  You've never really explained the workflow process it is impeding.  Most of the options in there are only applicable to existing entries, which is why I think it isn't showing the menu.

The paste thing... Can't you just do that on the Add Box instead (control-V style)?  And if you're typing them in by hand, why not just semicolon delimit them in the Add box itself?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 08:53:08 am »

What selections in the Right-Click menu there do you use regularly when editing List Type tags, where there is nothing to right click on?
I use "Edit all with text editor" - for example if I get info about a movie where Actors fields is empty

...which is why I think it isn't showing the menu.
The menu WAS showing in MC18 - that's why I miss it in MC19

The paste thing... Can't you just do that on the Add Box instead (control-V style)?
That's what I do as a workaround e.g. I paste the info, Enter, right-click the item (with all actors cumulated), Edit all with text editor (in MC18 I could simply right-click anywhere and go to the text editor directly)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 09:18:20 am »

Ahh... If you're typing them in anyway, then why don't you just type them directly into the Add box?

It seems like opening the text editor is an extra step anyway...

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:58 am »

I'm not typing them in. I paste them all from clipboard in one step in format "NAME1, NAME2, NAME3" and then manually change them to
NAME1
NAME2
NAME3

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 09:57:48 am »

Gotcha.

I just wanted to understand (I wasn't really commenting on whether it should be fixed or not).  And since whatever source you're pulling from uses commas and not semicolons, you can't just paste your original list into the Add box and have it figure it out.

You may want to try it that way, though.  Just paste it into the Add box and add it.  It'll add it as all one entry, but then you can Edit As Text using that entry.

That should be exactly the same number of clicks/steps as what you did with MC18.  Right?

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 10:12:04 am »

...Just paste it into the Add box and add it.  It'll add it as all one entry, but then you can Edit As Text using that entry.
As I wrote earlier that's what I already do as a workaround

That should be exactly the same number of clicks/steps as what you did with MC18.  Right?
It's not. In MC18 I right-click (anywhere within the field, no matter if there is or isn't any existing item), click Edit, Paste from clipboard. In MC19 I have to click exactly in the Add box, Paste from clipboard, hit Enter, move mouse to the newly created item, right-click it and click Edit...

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 10:30:47 am »

Ahh, I see.  So the right click paste command is smarter than the regular one.  That's the rub.

They should make the Add box do the smart thing then.

Actually, no, that's not the issue.  The Paste should work the same (it still won't recognize commas as delimiters, I don't think).

Your issue is mostly the need to reposition the mouse pointer, right?

I think they should add a right-click Edit With Text Box option to the previous pane of the Tag Action Window (before you open the individual List-Type tag).  That would be even one less click, and it was the first thing I tried when I was testing this for you.

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 07:28:09 am »

Your issue is mostly the need to reposition the mouse pointer, right?
Not exactly - if there is no existing entry then there is nothing to be repositioned to...

I think they should add a right-click Edit With Text Box option to the previous pane of the Tag Action Window (before you open the individual List-Type tag).  That would be even one less click, and it was the first thing I tried when I was testing this for you.
In other words it should work in MC19 back again as it did in MC18 - that was my original request.

19.0.103 = still not fixed

Arindelle

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:58:24 am »

@Glynor

I think I know what the OP is talking about -- its not just mouse positioning really.

I go to AMG to get soloists (set as a list field) as an example.  Now AMG is comma separated so I just select off of their credit page; no need to go through the text editor. In the tag window you can paste in the edit box but it will not accept the "paste from the clipboard" command.

What I normally do is just type any old letter enter it. Go copy the info and then in the list box (not the edit area) the command "paste from clipboard" is now available. It breaks every line copied and removes the initial "one letter" entry.  I don't consider this a big deal, its pretty fast.  I admit though it is not obvious to find this if you just started with the software

I don't remember if 18 allowed you to do this or not, so not sure if this is even considered broken.

Can supply screen shot if unclear

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 05:31:05 am »

BUMP (still not fixed in .128)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 05:23:37 am »

In the next build:
8. Changed: List Edit windows allow using right-click on their background to bring up a context menu, in addition to right-clicking existing entries.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 02:25:06 pm »

Fixed in .134 indeed! Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up