INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo (latest version): Stuttering playback  (Read 2115 times)

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Gizmo (latest version): Stuttering playback
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:33:54 am »

Hi,

I am not quite sure where to post this since the problem, so please move it if it is misplaced.
The problem is that playing video (and music for that matter) on my Galaxy S3 mobile phone using Gizmo causes jerky playback unless I set it to use the lowest possible setting.

This is when using the LAN, which should have plenty of bandwidth. Testing the bandwidth using MC on my laptop (client) works fine.

So what to do now? Is this because of the network device in the mobile phone or is Gizmo not allowing for a big enough buffer (or could it be something 3rd)?

Thank you for any help you may provide.

EDIT: This problem is not related to the latest version only. I have had the problem for some time.
EDIT2: The server (and all clients) are running the latest version of JRiver.

Best regards,
Mikkel

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo (latest version): Stuttering playback
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 07:20:59 am »

Possibilities are:
1.  The LAN lacks sufficient bandwidth.

2.  The machine serving the files isn't powerful enough to keep up with the conversion.

3.  The files are on a USB or network drive that can't deliver them fast enough.

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:04:11 am »

Possibilities are:
1.  The LAN lacks sufficient bandwidth.

2.  The machine serving the files isn't powerful enough to keep up with the conversion.

3.  The files are on a USB or network drive that can't deliver them fast enough.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think any of those possibilities are the problem, though, since playback works fine over webgizmo using a laptop.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:27:06 pm »

As a follow up I ran a speed test:

WIFI (G-standard): 23 mpbs up and down
Cable: 91 mbps up and down

All PC clients are able to receive a fluent audio and video stream. Neither my Galaxy S3 or my wifes Galaxy-something are able to receive a fluent stream except in lowest quality mode when streaming a DVD-quality mkv-video.

There is of course the argument that Samsung Galaxies may be rubbish - so I wonder if anyone with a Galaxy S3 would be so kind and report their experience streaming to their mobile phone using Gizmo?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »

Jim,

I think I did your suggestion 2 injustice. It seems that converting the video is too big a task for the AMD 240e (2.8 ghz dual core). The CPU utilization goes up to 100 % and stays there!

I suppose the only reason why this isn't a problem on the clients is that no conversion on the server side is taking place in these cases (that's my guess at least).

Best regards,
Mikkel

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 01:30:32 am »

Hi Jim,

I did a little experiment. I installed PLEX Media Server to see how that would work. It seems to be less taxing on the cpu even though it streams at a rate of 3 mbps (720 pixels) in the LAN.

Are there things I can do in MC to achieve the same or is this a software implementation thing? (if the latter, could I please ask you to consider making some adjustments to the streaming between MC-server and Gizmo?)

Best regards,

Mikkel
Pages: [1]   Go Up