INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD and Digital Volume Control / Digital Crossovers??  (Read 9441 times)

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
DSD and Digital Volume Control / Digital Crossovers??
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:16:44 pm »

Hey Everyone

Is JRiver capable digital volume control and digital crossovers for DSD file playback?  I'd love to setup digital crossovers in JRiver and use those crossovers on DSD playback (without the conversion from DSD to PCM and back to DSD).  Curious about volume control as well.

Thanks,
Jim

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSD and Digital Volume Control / Digital Crossovers??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:18:29 am »

Any processing JRiver does is in PCM, so the answer to your question would be "no", i guess.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:06 am »

Is JRiver capable digital volume control and digital crossovers for DSD file playback?  I'd love to setup digital crossovers in JRiver and use those crossovers on DSD playback (without the conversion from DSD to PCM and back to DSD).  Curious about volume control as well.

All processing is available if you output as high sample rate PCM.

Or if you output using real-time DSD.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 11:02:16 am »

All processing is available if you output as high sample rate PCM.

Or if you output using real-time DSD.

So, Matt, does this mean that one cannot alter original DSD material with things such as digital volume control and digital crossovers?

If (big if) I read what you say correctly, it would seem that such manipulations can only be done to PCM material (and in your second mention, then converted to DSD for output to a DSD dac).

-Jim

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:27:48 am »

So, Matt, does this mean that one cannot alter original DSD material with things such as digital volume control and digital crossovers?

If (big if) I read what you say correctly, it would seem that such manipulations can only be done to PCM material (and in your second mention, then converted to DSD for output to a DSD dac).

It's not possible to do any meaningful processing on DSD unless you convert to a multi-bit format.

The most common multi-bit format is DXD, which is just a fancy name for 352.8 kHz/24bit PCM.  MC uses a slightly higher quality system (64-bit, higher sample rate for 2xDSD) for real-time DSD.

There's no reason to be afraid of either option I listen in the previous post.  Any theoretical issues are way beyond the threshold of hearing and capabilities of the other equipment in the chain.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jdubs

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 09:35:33 pm »

It's not possible to do any meaningful processing on DSD unless you convert to a multi-bit format.

The most common multi-bit format is DXD, which is just a fancy name for 352.8 kHz/24bit PCM.  MC uses a slightly higher quality system (64-bit, higher sample rate for 2xDSD) for real-time DSD.

There's no reason to be afraid of either option I listen in the previous post.  Any theoretical issues are way beyond the threshold of hearing and capabilities of the other equipment in the chain.

Cool, understand, Matt.  I appreciate the response.

-Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up