INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting, group sort when toggling between album and detail views  (Read 2003 times)

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
Sorting, group sort when toggling between album and detail views
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:31:39 am »

I use pane views where I frequently toggle the list style between "Album Thumbnails" (Ctrl-Shift-P) and "Details" (Ctrl-Shift-I)

I always want to see the latest additions at the top, both in thumbnail and detail view. So I started with trying to sort on "date created" for example which works in thumbnail view but not in detail view since grouping gets odd, not per album. So to get the detail view to group on albums and not date I had to make a special field which I call "group albums by date added" which is this:
<FONT COLOR="FFFFFF" SIZE="5%">[Date Created]<//FONT> / [Album]

Works great in thumbnail view and in detail view all albums are correctly sorted. BUT the track order is often randomly incorrect. Probably due to the time stamp of the tracks not being in track order.

Anyone have a good idea how to do this right?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Sorting, group sort when toggling between album and detail views
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:47:51 pm »

You probably want to use this for your Date portion:

formatdate([Date Created,0], yyyy-MM-dd)

This avoids output the time (hour:minute:second), which could cause grouping/sorting to be incorrect.  If you want some portion of the time stamp, you could use just Hours, or perhaps Hours and Minutes (but the latter might cause some albums to split, in which case you could round minutes to the nearest 10 minutes and group on that).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 09:33:19 am »

Thx for the tip. I can't get it to work though. Tracks are still in wrong order on some albums.

Problem is when switching between views is that whatever is chosen for "Sort Inside Groups By" in detail view is used for the general sort in thumbnail view. And whatever i choose for "Group By" in detail view is unused in thumbnail view. It would have been better if detail "Group By" was used for thumbnail "Sort By". Not detail "Sort Inside Groups By" used for thumbnail "Sort By" as it is now.

So the thumbnail sorting will always be the same as the sorting of tracks inside groups in detail view. Makes i tricky to sort thumbnails in any date order at all?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:24:04 pm »

For sorting the File List, set the sort in Set rules for file display under Customize View.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

connersw

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 09:17:16 am »

MrC to the rescue again.  Thank You!

Sorting the File List using Customize View -> Settings -> Set rules for file display... instead of using Sort Inside Groups By solved my problem mentioned here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85068.msg581366#msg581366 

magnust

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:27:18 am »

For sorting the File List, set the sort in Set rules for file display under Customize View.

Ahhhh, having two items in the sort list fixed it, first the by date and then the second by #track, now all is perfect. THANK YOU!!!!!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up